The First Porsche

Precise1

Not much of an article, so here are the highlights.

1898 3hp, 12 speed, electric drive.

Top speed 21mph, 49 mile range.

Solid axle, leaf sprung suspention, gross weight 3,000lbs (1,100lb battery pack).

Looks like a primitive ancestor of the Unimog.

Go for the pictures!

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/1401-first-porsche-designed-car-on-display-museum/

I want to know how the hell they charged it... :shiftyeyes:

B

• Like 1

This is just a guess, but by the pics it looks to be a direct current motor, DC.

The only charge it would have to hold is just enough to get it to make a few turns.

Once started the motor would start to make its own charge. The brass or copper piece that you can see in the pic I think would work as a commintater.

There would be brushes against it as it turns, these would make a charge that would go into the winding of the motor. As it did this it would make the rotor of the motor turn, then wheels.

If that's how it works then it was a really a green car, needing no outside power or fuel.

NT

Think of it as a big gas powered generator we have today.

Granted yours uses a combustion motor to turn the stater which makes a charge, & then makes the power you use when you plug in.

I don't mean it was a perpetual motion machine. Those, for lack of of a better way to put it, are a myth. They always need some force to get them started, whether a small push of a finger, or a light breeze.

There would have to have been something to get the motion started. Could have been a capacitor, or someone giving it a push. IDK?

We can't say it didn't work, but the question is how?

Tesla got a 3phase motor to run with just one wire going to it. We can't say it didn't happen bc it was to well recorded. Again the big question is how? You can make electricity do some very strange things, things that can baffle normal reasoning.

I am by no means an expert on the field, have only been around it, but I've been surprised by what can be done with it!

NT

This is just a guess, but by the pics it looks to be a direct current motor, DC.

The only charge it would have to hold is just enough to get it to make a few turns.

Once started the motor would start to make its own charge. The brass or copper piece that you can see in the pic I think would work as a commintater.

There would be brushes against it as it turns, these would make a charge that would go into the winding of the motor. As it did this it would make the rotor of the motor turn, then wheels.

If that's how it works then it was a really a green car, needing no outside power or fuel.

NT

If it was self powered it wouldn't have a limit on the range.

Potential energy has to be introduced by from an exterior force for it to be transfered into kinetic energy like a charged battery or a tank full of explosive flammable chemical and the thing goes until it runs out, regardless of how efficient or inefficient.

I have mulled this over in my mind so often I can't find a way around it: When a thing uses the present potential energy to move itself, any energy it creates through a gear and pulley system generated by its movement will never be greater than or even equal to the necessary energy required to move it in the first place...it's impossible. Even nuclear energy doesn't do this, it's just a heightened form of introducing an outside source of energy into another thing, it's a reserve of fuel energy that will take forever to burn out, like a star.

Our modern gas / diesel engine does incorporate many perpetual cause and effect characteristics, the entire operation happens because one thing is connected to another: The spark ignites the combustion so the engine will turn over and make force and a fraction of that force is used in turning the distributor to send the next spark energy, which comes from the battery that is kept charged by the alternator and so on, but the moment that explosive force is removed from the equation, it's all over.

I've wanted for soooo long, and even now I still dream of it (lately its been a winding / unwinding back and forth of rubber bands and gyroscopes, the one that unwinds creates the energy to wind the other back and forth) to be able to really invent or even theoretically design some rudimentary perpetual motion machine that you can set to action and it will see to itself from that moment on....after all, right...an object in motion tends to stay in motion, but friction is the killer.

I know there has got to be some equation or law of physics that defines that "The energy needed to create energy would always be multiple times that which was created." Has anyone ever worked out all the math and science going on with a baseball bat and a ball and a homerun?

Greg

Edited by gv280z