Aftermarket cruise control available?

mikestewart395

Hey guys. I am in the middle of a road trip, going from Florida to Michigan to visit my daughter then a scenic Carolina mountain tour on the way back. I am on my way back now, and I am having a few questions about how to improve gas mileage in my 88 Pathy. At 55 I am getting about 16 mpg, anything over 60 I'm getting about 12. This thing is rediculous. I moved the spare from the roof to the back with the luggage for now. I am wondering if there is a cruise control I can add to my Pathy. Holding the peddle down for 14 hours straight is getting a bit tedious .

Another question, there is a wing on my back glass that seems to point down, wouldn't this cause drag?

The wing keeps the back glass a little cleaner. I don't think it effects MPG.
16 Highway @ 55 seems a bit lacking, I would go through a full list of tune up items and more
plugs, check wires, check timing, is you O2 sensor need replaced? Is your MAF sensor clean? Is your throttle body clean? Vacuum leaks...

You should be getting 18+ at that speed and lower when the engine goes over 3000RPM

What size tire are you running and do you have the correct speedo gear for that size?

I run 3500 down the freeway, and get 21-22, with 31's. I would do a tune up. That will usually bump it up quite a bit. Now This post is for an aftermarket cruise control, right? I need one also.

What's double didget mpg? :lol:

MY1PATH took the words from me and placed them in a more legible manner than I would have :aok: (wouldn't hurt to check and see if you got any codes stored in the computer as well)

Amazon has a few aftermarket cruise kits, but I'd look into swapping a system in out of a wrecked Pathy or HB. Probably wouldn't work any different but mounting might be easier. I don't know if the '88s were offered with cruise, but if they were, I imagine it would be pure bolt-on.

Mine will do 19 mpg on the highway at 60-70 with the cruise and the overdrive on.

I imagine the wing might actually decrease drag by channeling more air into the vacuum that forms behind the truck.

Amazon has a few aftermarket cruise kits, but I'd look into swapping a system in out of a wrecked Pathy or HB. Probably wouldn't work any different but mounting might be easier. I don't know if the '88s were offered with cruise, but if they were, I imagine it would be pure bolt-on.

Mine will do 19 mpg on the highway at 60-70 with the cruise and the overdrive on.

I imagine the wing might actually decrease drag by channeling more air into the vacuum that forms behind the truck.

TBI's Had cruise but there was a sensor in the instrument clusters that the Non-cruise models did not have.

ALL MPFI's had this sensor because the ECU would use it too. An do believe the round dash units may have used different cruise computers. 4 bangers also used different computers

LOTS OF WIRE IN THE FACTORY SYSTEM, from the passenger firewall to the N switch to the pedals and then all they way back to the rear quarter panel for the Computer. I Cross my fingers that your truck is pre-wired and just needs the parts.

Edited by MY1PATH