mmm k. Time for the tire carrier to GO!

Slick

:unsure: Stupid ?? no doubt. I am removing the tire carrier from my '92 4 door Pathy. It is heavy, ugly, and I want it gone. BUT! Is it as easy as it looks to remove? Hidden suprises are not my cup of tea, and I am stressed enough as I have begun the process of pulling the motor. it should be out by Wed.

Can the tire carrier be removed soley from teh outside removal of the bolts, or do I have to pull interior panels off?

Anyone done this task b 4, and how did you like the lack of the weight on the back of your Pathy? Thanks! WAVEY

Super easy, just pull out the 4 bolts out of the upper and lower hinge bases. You will want to do something to fill the holes left in the body though. Removing it doesn't affect the rear much at all actually. My 93 didn't have one, but my 88 does. I took it off to clean it up, replace te pins and bushings in the hinges and repaint it. Haven't noticed any change without it aside from it not rattling (hence the pins and bushings). :aok:

TYVM! If I decide not to keep it after driving a few months without it, I will definitely post it here. Wonder how much it's worth?? sssh mebbe I should sell it just to help make up for the $$$$$$$ I have spent in the past month preparing for my motor pull work..... :blink:

LOL. I know. Ijust figured it's just extra weight on the back.....and my 2 x 12's weigh 70lbs in their box by themselves to hold the back down some..LOL.

I figure I can just put my spare on the roof.... I will let y'all know if I am selling or keeping. :gossip:

I got mine for $50 from the local junkyard. I've seen others sell for as much as $100, but it weighs too much to ship cheaply, as you might have guessed.

I've seen them go for $250 before, guess it just depends on supply and demand at the time.

It shouldn't take you longer than say 15-30 minutes to take the rack off. It might be handy to have a friend help you hold the rack while you take off the final bolts.

The hardest part will be repairing the bodywork. When I removed mine to repaintI had some ugly holes with some nasty rust. I wire brushed the surface rust and then sprayed a rust converting primer. But I put my rack back on. If you didn't I imagine you might have some hefty bodywork bills (unless you are good at it yourself).

:wacko: Yes, the boyfriend helped take it off...most useful. That thang IS heaveeee... I almost had a hernia setting it aside by myself.

$250!! :blink: dang. I could do with that ..... I forgot to take a pic of my Pathy without it..but I think it looks better. I'll take pics of it tomorrow if it's not raining. personal pref I guess?? I saw the back lift up about 2" as soon as the weight was off.

It took us about 10 minutes to get it off, with some PB Blaster (god's gift to mechanics), the bolts all but took themselves out.

Here's the link to the pics from my slow, but careful motor pull. Everything but the bell housing is out..so motor will be removed tomorrow.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pathy4x4/alb...hy4x4/my_photos

• 3 months later...
Guest pf_kim

I'm thinking about removing my spare tire rack from my 93 PF too but was wondering what you did with the spare? Are you hauling it inside or are you carrying it on top? If inside, what would be the best way to hold it in place off to the side? Is there an optional spare tire holder for the trunk? Is there a way to mount it underneath?

Also, what did you do with the warning light that the spare hitch is open? Did you disable it? How? Please help. Thank you.

Your best bet is to leave the tire carrier on and not worry about removing it. Finding a place to stick the spare is a PITA, if you put it on the roof, then you have to manhandle a 50 lb tire/wheel off the roof if you get a flat...there's no place to put it underneath, and the stock carrier for the inside will only fit up to a 31" tire.

Things weigh upwards of 75+ lbs.

Mine weighs 53lbs actually, without spare ;)

Ive got mine off at the moment to do some work on it and its a noticable difference on the truck. Back end sits a little higher, performance and mileage are improved. The spare is just strapped to the hooks but I intend on reinstalling the rack once I do some body work. It really isn't that heavy but if it becomes a real pain Ill just throw a rope over a tree branch.

And the switch should be normally closed type so if you just remove it the light will go out.

Your best bet is to leave the tire carrier on and not worry about removing it. Finding a place to stick the spare is a PITA, if you put it on the roof, then you have to manhandle a 50 lb tire/wheel off the roof if you get a flat...there's no place to put it underneath, and the stock carrier for the inside will only fit up to a 31" tire.

second that.. the P looks kind of cheap without it. i find the carrier pretty usefull in many ways.. different strokes for different folks i guess.. :rolleyes:

I have my spare tire standing between my speaker box for my 12's..and the stock speaker location, held down with rubber (stiffer/stronger) bungees, and then I pushed the speaker box hard up against the tire, as I have it loose in the back for removal-while-wheeling purposes.... works for me! :aok:

Ya know, I've been thinking about taking mine off and throwing the spare up in the cargo rack once I get one, but I was thinking.......how fun and easy will it be getting a 33"-35" tires off the top of the Pathy once I have my body lift on and making the Pathy 6" higher than originally? After thinking it through, I'm thinking about doing it anyway. Can always fab a swing arm for the spare from the custom rock krawler rear bumper that is getting fabbed. Decisions, decisions :shrug:

Let's :beer: over the options!

:idea: BTW Slick, if you pull the carpet up in the cargo area (drivers side) and pull the piece of foam out of the floor, there's a little dished in area for the spare to sit in (on models that had it inside).

Actually, this tire carrier is quite useful.

It is convenient, as you have more space inside.

Getting the tire off the roof will be something not really pleasant, especially if you are dressed in a white shirt, a suit, and so on.

Moreover, I had several occasions in my life to understand that it is good for safety in car-crashes. Once a drunk guy crashed his car into my Pathy peacefully parked near the road... He hit with his left front corner into my right rear one. So he hit exactly the tire carrier. As a result, he had a mess, and I only had a scratch on the carrier )))

I once saw a van hit a pathy in the rear. Right in the spare tire. When I was passing by, I could not understand where all the shattered glass came from, as I could clearly see the Pathy undamaged. Then I looked at the van... god, it was wrecked real good.

It is better to get a hit in the carrier, than directly into the rear door.

Another very useful thing about it is that when you park to the wall, you can just drive slowly until the spare touches the wall )))

Yes, having to "open" the tire carrier before opening the rear door is not really convenient. But I like it, it is useful and it makes the car look better. I don't know, maybe it is because 99% of Pathies here are with the tire carrier... but I like the looks )))

Even on pathys that came with the external tire carrier?

If so might make a good place to put a subwoofer, as some of us like our tire carriers ON! :laugh:

Edited by Harbinger

I pulled the carpet up when I first bought my Pathy.. and where the wheel well is, are my stock speaker locations.... my jack was under the passenger seat in the back seats......as were the little tools.... :unsure:

Look at this pic (it's large so I'll just give the link) My Webpage

The depresion is right where I described, there is a black plug at the bottom of it. That pic is my 88 that has the external carrier, my 93 also had it, with the internal carrier(removed now).