Oh no, not ANOTHER tire question

theexbrit

I've read several threads but couldn't really find the answer I was looking for. I have a 96 with 2" lift, XJ bumper, no fender flares & 15x8 pro comp wheels with 3.75 backspacing. Can I fit 33" tires on it as it is or do I need wheel spacers? It looks like they will just fit, but I'm not sure if I should go with the 32" tires. :scratchhead:

I simply don't run tires anymore. Too much hassle and BS with them! P...

Tank tracks or I stay at home!

Do you want this in the Garage or R50 section instead?

My opinion is to test fit if possible. I'm guessing you will have these tires for a long time, so it might be worth the trouble. Find someone with tires you can borrow? Bribe a tire guy to stay late?

I think they will work because I have mounted 31" tires with similar rims on a sagged, stock R50 and the only time it rubbed was at full turn in reverse. Hard to tell though, and who wants tires that grind?

I'd shoot for the 33" though. The VG33 should pull them ok (ever check the gearing?), you can go with a narrower profile (lighter, less rolling friction) and they are more common in case of a need to scrounge for a replacement. Been there once...

B

• Like 1

I'm not concerned about body or fender rub, I have little of either left to car about. Lol

I'm concerned that the tire will hit the strut, I really don't want to put wheel spacers on.

Ps, can you put this in the R50 forum B? Another Brain fart!!!

Edited by theexbrit

I'm not concerned about body or fender rub, I have little of either left to car about. Lol

I'm concerned that the tire will hit the strut, I really don't want to put wheel spacers on.

Ps, can you put this in the R50 forum B? Another Brain fart!!!

I have unfarted your brain... :lol:

B

• Like 1

You only need wheel spacers so the tires don't rub on the lower strut perch, chances are that with your Procomp wheel's backspacing you're already clear of that so 33s will not require additional wheel spacers. Well I should qualify that by saying 255/85/16 should fit and is the perfect tire size for non rock-crawlers IMHO.

You will rub the lower fender area (near the doors) though so be ready to bend some sheet metal back.

You will also find the engine feeling lethargic without judicious amounts of throttle unless you go with better gearing.

For me I wanted to avoid all these hassles and decide to go with a skinny 32" tire and I'm very happy with them. They meet my needs just fine though I still secretly wish I'd gone with the 33s though. 255/85/16 BFG Mud Terrain KM2...drool.

• Like 1

My opinion is to test fit if possible. I'm guessing you will have these tires for a long time, so it might be worth the trouble. Find someone with tires you can borrow? Bribe a tire guy to stay late?

I think they will work because I have mounted 31" tires with similar rims on a sagged, stock R50 and the only time it rubbed was at full turn in reverse. Hard to tell though, and who wants tires that grind?

I'd shoot for the 33" though. The VG33 should pull them ok (ever check the gearing?), you can go with a narrower profile (lighter, less rolling friction) and they are more common in case of a need to scrounge for a replacement. Been there once...

B

I measured some 33" BF Goodrich MT's today at Off Road Warehouse & I THINK they will fit without rubbing the strut perch. I was thinking about the 32's but I just know that I'd wish I'd got the 33's later on. :headwall:

If you lived closer I would say to go to Tucker Tire and have them tell you.

Tucker is only about 10 mins from my house but it's like a zoo at that place!! It's always so packed & chaotic, I leave there with a headache & have to take a nap :laugh: TT does have good deals though.

You only need wheel spacers so the tires don't rub on the lower strut perch, chances are that with your Procomp wheel's backspacing you're already clear of that so 33s will not require additional wheel spacers. Well I should qualify that by saying 255/85/16 should fit and is the perfect tire size for non rock-crawlers IMHO.

You will rub the lower fender area (near the doors) though so be ready to bend some sheet metal back.

You will also find the engine feeling lethargic without judicious amounts of throttle unless you go with better gearing.

For me I wanted to avoid all these hassles and decide to go with a skinny 32" tire and I'm very happy with them. They meet my needs just fine though I still secretly wish I'd gone with the 33s though. 255/85/16 BFG Mud Terrain KM2...drool.

I don't mind a little cutting & bending, though from measuring it looks like with the 2" AC lift it may only rub at full compression.

I just have to decide BF MT's Or Goodyear Kevlar????

Edited by theexbrit

Not sure how much help it'll be , but I have the AC 2" with the 1" strut spacer , 15x8x3.75 wheels and 32/11.5/15 SST's .

I have a good inch of clearance between the tire and the perch , it looks as if a 12.5" wide tire would clear it .

Hard to get a good shot but better'n nuthin........

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

• Like 1

I THINK they will fit without rubbing the strut perch.

I was thinking about the 32's but I just know that I'd wish I'd got the 33's later on. :headwall:

You can always grind down the strut perch 1/4" or so if it is too close. Drill a couple of holes at the inside diameter next to the grind and put in heavy duty cable ties as keepers.

Agreed, 1/2 of the reason I support going for the 33" if possibly. Do you plan to run 10.5 or 12.5" wide tires?

You really can't get some used tire mounted on a rim for fitment? :scratchhead:

B

They will fit, I have Cragar 15x8s w/ 3.75 BS and am running 33x12.50s. 2" AC and 1" strut spacer. They don't rub the fenders up front as there is no flex but they have rearranged my rear fender well openings for sure. The only thing you have to worry about is the hardlines coming from under the rig and into the engine compartment via the Passenger wheel well. At full right lock they tire makes contact with the protective shield and rubs on it quite a bit. Too bad they couldnt have moved those damn lines a few inches one way or the other.

Edited by SilverPath

I squeezed 35" 12.5 15 under my 89 with a 4 inch lift... and I have a new set of 37 14.5 15s that ima be putting on my 89 in the future

Edit: my 35s fit with my torsion bars cranked up

Sent from my LG-L40G using Tapatalk

Edited by b1ndm4n

I just have to decide BF MT's Or Goodyear Kevlar????

GoodYear's!! Unstoppable/Unpunctureable

33" you can go with Duratracs or MTR's... My choice Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar.. Just waiting on Santa. lol.

You can always grind down the strut perch 1/4" or so if it is too close. Drill a couple of holes at the inside diameter next to the grind and put in heavy duty cable ties as keepers.

Agreed, 1/2 of the reason I support going for the 33" if possibly. Do you plan to run 10.5 or 12.5" wide tires?

You really can't get some used tire mounted on a rim for fitment? :scratchhead:

B

Hmmm, didn't think of that, maybe I will grind a wee bit off if it rubs. I plan on 12.5's, I need the width for the sand we encounter. My local tire store may have one on a rim, I haven't asked yet. I'll head over there today.

They will fit, I have Cragar 15x8s w/ 3.75 BS and am running 33x12.50s. 2" AC and 1" strut spacer. They don't rub the fenders up front as there is no flex but they have rearranged my rear fender well openings for sure. The only thing you have to worry about is the hardlines coming from under the rig and into the engine compartment via the Passenger wheel well. At full right lock they tire makes contact with the protective shield and rubs on it quite a bit. Too bad they couldnt have moved those damn lines a few inches one way or the other.

Great! Thanks. Maybe I can shift the pipes a little if I get a problem, my buddy has brake pipe benders, flares, etc, at the college where he teaches.

GoodYear's!! Unstoppable/Unpunctureable

33" you can go with Duratracs or MTR's... My choice Wrangler MTR w/ Kevlar.. Just waiting on Santa. lol.

I keep thinking about the Kevlars but supposedly the BFG have gotten much better sidewall protection with the KM2. :shrug:

I have unfarted your brain... :lol:

B

Thanks bro!

Oh by the way, on that axle plate question you asked about B, I have the HG46 rear axle, so in the 1996 model it would be 4.625:1 unless I'm very much mistaken.

I have the 4.32 gears in mine, and yea to say its gutless is an understatement lol. If I am going up a hill and I want to maintain 55, I have to downshift to 3rd and pull some serious RPMS :laugh:

If I am in 4 High and encounter a inclined slope and I mash it, the rpms will not climb it will bog down and stall. I have had to switch to 4 low. It works for now. I am actively seeking a crashed Xterra so I can steal the 4.9 gear sets

Edited by SilverPath

I have a quick question for anyone who would like to answer

I am planning on installing some bigger shoes once I get fleurys' spacers installed.

Likely 265/75/16 all terrains

I need new wheels, I found a set of Oem pathfinder wheels at a wrecker from a 99' (16x7")

I'm not sure of the back spacing, but being Oem I'd have to assume its 5-6" would this bs fit a tire that size or should I order some procomp wheels with a smaller bs?

Wrecker wants $300 for the wheels pro comps would cost me a bit more

That equates to about 31.6"x10.43"x16, you might get away with it on stock rims, there'll be someone will know for sure.

I decided to go with 33" Duratracs, I don't do any mudding really & my Kelly's have been great for the desert, etc, but they're only 31's.

Well, I went with the 33" Duratracs, they have tire insurance (MT's don't) & I got 5 installed, $1000 out the door. With the bigger lugs on the MT's they would have hit the lower spring bucket as I only have 3.75" back spacing. Anyway, they look friggin' awesome, just have a little rub on turns (at the bottom door pillar end of the fender), nothing a little grinder work won't fix.

Sent from theexbrits iPad using Tapatalk