Broken Compression Rod

DantheMayun

Hey guys. Quick question. I recently broke a compression rod * for whatever reason I dont know*. Well i'm not sure what to do with the peice on the frame that the compression rod attatches to. It seems i ok condition. A little worn out obviously. Should I try to replace that on the frame? How do I go about doing this?

I'm not sure how you would cut it out and replace a new one. Maybe the bushings on the rod will just hold it in there?

I can show you guys some pics or video tommorow if your intersted.

I know that ahardbody on here just had a hole punched in a 3/8 steel plate if I remember correctly and just welded it over top replacing isn't nessecary. Had the same issue if you can see my hole is starting to look like an egg

image-6.jpg

I just grinded it flat since sas is happening in the spring. And honestly in hard wheeling I can still here it hit so I remcommend fixing it :lol:

Most important part is the bushing cup. It's what holds the bushing centered anyways.

This, and the bushings are what (should hold) holds the rod in place. We have the information in a thread here on specifically what size/part number bearing race people have used but I don't recall from memory. If you can't find it via search, let me know, and I will.

Holy Crap cvdloc! You didn't notice there might be something wrong before that point? :blink:

B

The bearing race I used was LM67010 which is a Timken part #. To repair the hole I used a thin shim from Ace Hardware and welded that to the back of the bearing race. I'm not sure of the exact details on that though. Just make sure that it's thin or it will throw off your caster. IMG_2557.jpg

Nissan does provide new ones with the mounting bracket that is welded to the frame, but you will have to do some cutting and welding.

PART NUMBER: 50260-31G01

BRACKET-TORSION, RH

PART NUMBER: 50261-31G01

BRACKET-TORSION, LH

Hey Alkorahil, how much is the cost on those parts? Just curious..

Sorry, should have said that....

PART NUMBER: 50260-31G01

BRACKET-TORSION, RH

PART NUMBER: 50261-31G01

BRACKET-TORSION, LH

$57.68 each (list: $76.90)

never had a problem the way I had mine repaired on my old hardbody and I didn't have the bushing cups either, It may not have been the right way but it was safe and drove fine.

The steel I used I believe was 1/4" thick

Edited by ahardb0dy

I want to install new rancho shocks and crank my t bars.. i'm worried cranking them might give me alignment issues. Where they're sitting now the guys at Firestone were unable to properly align my pathy. I have no idea what goes into alignment and I know unless you get it done at nissan everybody has a hard time.

Hmm I wounder if I get new shocks in the front if I need to get new shocks for the back...

Do you have factory upper control arms and how high is it cranked right now?

Shocks shouldn't effect ride height, even if they are gas charged. You can change the front and rear independently and the only difference is that one end might be softer/firmer than the other...

B

Take a look at the bump stops, a general rule of thumb is that you have 1/2" clearance for the lowers. You can measure to the body crease and compare with other people, and you can set the front end to be .5-1.0" lower than the rear (assuming the rear hasn't sagged) as they are supposed to have a little rake to them.

B

If you also look at the bolts that are used to torque your t bars, see how high up they are, some people have as much as 3" of exposed thread at the top (wouldn't recommend going any higher) if they are up that high and still has a sag to the front, I'd look into new t bars or replacements but that's an uncommon issue