Electric Fan Question

mikestewart395

I am planning a trip from Fla. to Mi. Next week. I am sitting here thinking of different things I can do to save a little money on gas. This will be a 'long run' trip, so in the long run whatever I do can help a lot.

Anywho, I was in Pep Boys this morning, my pre-work meditation place, lol, and was looking at their over-priced electric cooling fans. Hmm I said, wonder if this will help a little, lessening the drag on the motor just a little bit. Seems like it makes since. I'm new to the off road scene so bear with me. All of your advice and help is really appreciated.

Depends on your climate and driving needs, whether it will benefit mpg/power or not.

In my case, living in southwestern Canada, on Vancouver island, the average temperature is not very high so when I'm cruising, my fan is not on very often. It only has to turn on after idling for a bit, hard acceleration, or going up steep hills.

In this case, much of the parasitic drag is reduced and power/mileage are improved.

I am only assuming that the weather between miami and Florida is quite hot. If you have an over sized radiator, then it will definitely be worth while but if you need constant cooling on a stock radiator in high temperatures then I doubt the electric fan would save much mpg.

It does still have the advantage that you can turn the fans on high speed while you are crawling slowly up steep hills and can get better cooling than stock there. Although pathys have pretty damn adequate cooling systems.

Edited by Nefarious

I would argue that in a hot, hilly area, the stock cooling system is not adequate.

Go for the fan if you notice your engine temp climb pretty high, or you can't get to operating temperature in winter.

Just my .02

Don't forget a good controller, or its all for nothing.

Edited by 92Path_68CJ

I did not really notice a change when I converted. I think if this was an old V8 running a full-time fan (with no clutch) then converting would make a difference. But since the stock design uses a thermal clutch, the fans are not under full power all the time, when the engine temp is below the clutches threshold, there is minimal drag on the engine.

My advice would be the same as I did myself, wait until your clutch goes out then replace it. Otherwise it's money better spent elsewhere. Besides, the minimal amount you will save on the trip, will still be less than the cost of what your considering.

Another tip, to save on the efan conversion (if/when you do it), hit a wrecking yard for the fan from a 3.8L Taurus.

• Like 1

I did not really notice a change when I converted. I think if this was an old V8 running a full-time fan (with no clutch) then converting would make a difference. But since the stock design uses a thermal clutch, the fans are not under full power all the time, when the engine temp is below the clutches threshold, there is minimal drag on the engine.

My advice would be the same as I did myself, wait until your clutch goes out then replace it. Otherwise it's money better spent elsewhere. Besides, the minimal amount you will save on the trip, will still be less than the cost of what your considering.

Another tip, to save on the efan conversion (if/when you do it), hit a wrecking yard for the fan from a 3.8L Taurus.

And double check that it is in fact a two speed.

Don't forget a good controller, or its all for nothing.

It did make a difference to mine, especially on long, slow hill climbs in the desert, but you MUST have a decent controller as 92path said. I had a cheap Hayden controller & it was crap. I now have a Ron Francis Wiring controller, 2 speed control, 2 minute run after ignition off option, wind resistance sensor so fan doesn't switch on on the freeway, push button temp adjust, etc. Not cheap though, but worth it.

Edited by theexbrit
  • Like 1

http://s1208photobucketcom/user/dosvagabonds/library/mods for electric fan?sort=2&page=1

If the above works it should show how I did the senders on my 88 and 94 using the maxima fan on both

The sender is for low speed only it comes on at about 190, the high speed is wired to a switch on the dash

Edited by vagabond

I love my e-fan conversion, clears up so much room on the front of the engine, and freeing up a pony or two cant hurt.

I bought an adjustable on/off kit from Summit for about $45. I have it set 195 on/185 off

Much quieter than the stock mammoth, and you wont loose any fingers tinkerring around the engine with it running