throttle body spacer

thorpe991

has anybody used these and if you have is there a real noticeable increase in what it is made to increase this is the one im looking at

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mvc-5712/overview/make/nissan/model/pathfinder/year/1998

i plan on doing somthing similar to his intake mod this weekend

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/28567-custom-intake/

with that intake mod an the spacer will i have a even greater increase in power an mileage or would i lose mileage if i did the spacer?

Worthless, not to mention non existent. You may be able to find them for 3.3L v6 pathys (I don't really know as mine has the 3.5 and that's what I was looking for.) or possibly for Nissans Car models that have the 3.5L BUT.. The throttle body size and bolt pattern configuration against the intake manifold is way different on the Pathfinder R50 3.5L. It uses a much larger throttle body than the cars with the 3.5L i.e. Maxima, 350Z, Altima equipped with the 3.5L So be careful if the maker says " Oh yeah it's got a 3.5L in it, it'll fit.. It's the same.." Nope.. I've sent back 3 of these trying to get one that fits my truck.. I know a Machinist here in SoCal that can make custom ones that will fit specifically on our trucks (3.5L). However I felt it was not worth the time or $$$ to design one only for me.. PM me if you guys want me to look into having a lot (min 5) made.

• 3 weeks later...

Throttle body spacers are worthless because of the intake runner length. The only way to gain anything would be a intake spacer between the upper and lower intakes. But increasing the runner length will gain torque. No horsepower gains. Even then it would be minimal at best.

The best way would to have the intake spacer made of a non heat transfer material. Such as phenolic block. Again minimum gains.

Easy way to understand this is look at the evolution of GMs TPI intakes to LT1 to LS1. The reason the LS1 works so well is because of the efficiency of its heads with the cathedral intake ports matched to the intake.

Take a look at the 3.5 intake. With its power valve system. Long runners for torque and cruising efficiency. Opens up for short runner length for HP when needed.

Sent from my Moto X!

Agreed. They dont do what they promise and the length is part of the issue. You would need a short ram intake to even begin to see anything.

This is another one of those things that if they really did anything noticable for the small amount of $$ all the manufacturers would put them on vehicles.

Edited by Alkorahil

I used to have a 94 Chevy truck 350ci. ...another one I wish I'd kept....uggh...but I digress.

The throttle body spacer (along with the Edelbrock TBI intake) allowed the fuel to disperse more evenly before arriving in the intake. The fuel burns more efficiently since the fuel is more separated when it arrived into the intake. The intake also "forced" (breathed better than stock) more air, thus after a chip was installed on the ECM, more fuel mix was available.

This combination worked well on my TBI form of fuel delivery and I suspect, in the past, worked well with a normally aspirated (aka squirt style) injection. However, I question the results with a normal fuel injected vehicle. Again, you would need to reprogram the ECM in order to provide more fuel. Otherwise, you are simply separating (slightly, without increased air induction) the fuel. Conclusion: Same fuel + same air = same performance....MAYBE slightly better mpg (more efficient combustion)...but I would guess VERY slight. Probably not worth the investment.

With what I've learned about the Pathfinder, I would keep it simple and spend the money on a better air filter and a better exhaust. Allow the engine to breathe and exhaust more efficiently.

(Just my $.02)

Edited by 96Pathfinder4x4

Ya I plan on doing my exhaust after my lift and I already did the intake

I'm keeping the stock intake.

My offroading here sees alot of desert conditions. Hardpack, sand, etc...

I may go 'DIY snorkel' someday if I plan to hit greener areas and water crossings....especially after the day it becomes a trailer queen. :happy:

I do look forward to getting rid of the resonator and getting some more oomph from an exhaust.

I'm keeping the stock intake.

My offroading here sees alot of desert conditions. Hardpack, sand, etc...

I may go 'DIY snorkel' someday if I plan to hit greener areas and water crossings....especially after the day it becomes a trailer queen. :happy:

I do look forward to getting rid of the resonator and getting some more oomph from an exhaust.

the people before me already took the resonator out but put in a extremely quiet muffler and its just to quiet for me

• Like 1

Yeah...I want a bit of grunt too. :aok:

All you have to do then is change the muffler. I will have to do a complete catback. To cherry bomb or not to cherry bomb, that is the question. :scratchhead:

I figured with the 2" pipe a cherrybomb ( I think your referring to a glass pack ) would be two open and sound bad

My uncle has a Honda passport with a glass pack and it sounds like $hi and it has the v6 it looks very similar to the wd21 pathfinders so I figured mine would sound crappy with a glass pack

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Edited by thorpe991

so just to let you know i went with the thrush turbo im happy with it because my old one was so quiet that at idle i couldent here the exhaust standing at the back of my pathfinder now i can here it idle when im inside with the passenger rear window down and can here it when i drive with the windows up but its not over powering i could actually go with a more straight threw muffler like a flowmaster or mabey a glasspack im guessing my uncle has somthing else wrong with his exhaust last i knew he had a glass pack but mybey not now and thats why it sounds terrible

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Reviving this thread because I found a TBS on Kijiji in my area for $10. I know they are very controversial in reviews and my own opinion is, they don't really do anything. But for $10 I figured what the heck. It certainly won't make it worse. Usually these cost around $100 bucks, which is insane!! Anyway, I tried to put it on tonight, but despite having removed the 4 bolts and loosened the throttle cables, I was not able to pull the TB far enough away from the intake manifold to fit the spacer. There is a thick hose on the bottom of the TB (not sure what it is) and that's just not long enough to pull it forward, at least not without risking to pull that hose off. Anybody know what exactly this mystery hose is, or what the trick is to install this sucker?!

The hose on the bottom of the TB is probably a coolant line for the idle air control valve (IACV).

Throttle body spacers do little good on engines that use port fuel injection, such as the VG33e, where fuel is mixed with air in each intake port, far downstream from the throttle body.

They are typically mildly effective on older engines that use throttle body fuel injection (where fuel is sprayed into the throttle body and mixed with the intake air charge).

I think you just bought yourself a $10 paperweight.
http://www.ehow.com/info_12218609_throttle-body-spacers-really-work-fuelinjected-vehicles.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nissan_engines