Headlight issue

JJ331

My driver's side headlight doesn't work after changing the bulb. I haven't dug out my meter yet. Occasionally when I switch to high beam, it flickers for a second. This leads me to think it's the switch. What I'm wondering is does current flow from the switch to the fuse box (individual fuses for each headlight) or vice versa?

This is from the 94 Factory Service Manual, as this is the first year FSM that is available online ( you can down load it free from the "garage" section, I edited out the truck wiring and the KA24 engine wiring that this diagram used to also show as it does not apply for the WD21 V6 pathfinder:

5pok9e.jpg

Couldn't edit my reply so, I was saying the headlight switch is a common item to replace, you can clean the contacts inside the switch but your probably better off buying a new one. Rockauto.com had the switch for $39.89 for the non cruise switch and $46.79 for the switch if your truck has cruise. There is also a code for 5% off your order that can be found on the forum also

Here is what the inside of the switch looks like, this pic is of the switch out of my 90 Nissan Sentra and is probably very similar to the Pathfinder switch:

6p8aj8.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

Cool, that switch looks like it has the potential to have issues. I saw them on Ebay for pretty cheap, but I wasn't able to tell who the manufacturer was. Thanks for posting the diagram!

anyone has any issues with lights coming on without the switch being turned on? The other night the neighbor knocked at my door and told me my headlight is on and when I came out the right side headlight is dimly lit (battery is almost drained) this is the second time that its happened

Odd but unless the wiring's been botched, I would still suspect the switch. IIRC the contacts are pushed shut, and supposed to spring open on their own. Whether they do or not is another matter.

LOL saw one of the 'similar' links below, apparently this is a thing that happens. The contacts get messed up and overheat or something, and then the whole thing craps out. :clickdalink:

I have been experiencing a similar problem. My passenger side hi-beam turns on by its self. I have been disconnecting the ground cable to my battery so my battery doesn't die while I am at work.

I was going to replace the switch but now I'll see if I can just clean it instead.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any information on HID lights. Daughter had them installed. They don't have a a hi/lo setting. I can't get the guy who installed the system to tell me anything as he is in jail. He told daughter it only has one setting. Does this sound normal.