Floorboard Rust--- BEWARE

AzZo

Hey all check this out I was smelling something in my 95 pathfinder while driving. So when I got home I investigated and found my driverside rubber floor mat was slightly melted.Lifted it up and sure enough the carpet was smouldering.I doused it with a little water.Crawled underneath to find where the exhaust manifold pipe goes into the cat was getting so hot.And there was a rusty hole around the size of a quarter in the floor that it actuly caught the underside carpet ablaze well almost you and I all know carpet usually melts down first.But still not good to say the least.I put a heat shield on the pipe and repaired floor board with new metal so all is well just thought I would send out a heads up to all.

You have just found the flaming floor flaw, it is more common than you think. Just not enough clearance and maybe a flaw from manufacturing (the holes almost always develop pointing up). My first pathy had this issue as well, but my second has custom exhaust so no worries there.

Definitely check for an exhaust leak there, that is almost always the problem.

Thanks for the warning though, it is always good to remind people of this... :aok:

B

Same issue in my 95, it was a leak. Never got around to fixing it before it got wreaked, but my plan was too cut out the floor, weld all the way around the pipe, and then add a thicker piece of sheet metal over it. Just an idea for anyone with the same issue. If your asking why weld the pipe? Because I was going to do an engine swap and plus its a perminate solution, it won't fail again lol muffler paste and carbon fibre tape can only do so much!!

Finally tackled this issue on mine a month or so ago... never caught fire somehow but here's a couple pics for the lols 5a4f8972-a599-4b5b-b1f0-f748c1efa0a8_zps

The ghetto rigged repair:

cut street sign to fit,

take care of rust with chassis saver

(it has since been riveted and seam-sealed in place.)

No welding necessary!

5d071fe565b179633d92c37fca435abc_zps7cd3

You have just found the flaming floor flaw, it is more common than you think. Just not enough clearance and maybe a flaw from manufacturing (the holes almost always develop pointing up). My first pathy had this issue as well, but my second has custom exhaust so no worries there.

Definitely check for an exhaust leak there, that is almost always the problem.

Thanks for the warning though, it is always good to remind people of this... :aok:

B

Yes,now I know one more reason to save up for some doug thorley headers.

I wish I would have thought of the street-sign fix before I spent the couple dollars on the cookie sheet to fix mine several years ago. Welcome to the club.

/>

i had the same problem but went away when i did the lift. amazing what 3 more inches away will do lol...

Body lift I assume, it seems like it was always ment to be, you have 2 joints and eventually they will open, has anyone tried to weld a straight piece in? Eliminating joints?

• 7 months later...

Well I just found out that my floor is now getting hot. No rust that I can see and I did pull up the carpet. The factory stuff was undamaged but the floor mat that I had melted right where my heel sits while driving. Other than a body lift how can I lower the floor temps?????

Spent most of the day yesterday installing my new DT headers and got a good chance to inspect everything. The stock exhaust was just fine except for the 3 broken exhaust studs. The headers definitely have more clearance but are now the lowest structure under the truck and seems a dangerous rock catcher off road. I guess I will fab some type of skid plate for it but then I am capturing heat again. Anybody dealt with this yet?

Nice heads up on the FFF, fire is no joke........

True. Now that I moved my floor mat I felt more of the heat. I went to town and while I was stopped I wanted to pull my floor mat and shake out the dirt. That was when I found out it was melted to the original non carpet area on the drivers side carpet. Kinda freaked me out as I never once smelled anything out of the ordinary. Hope to be able to get this fixed. May have to pay a visit to an old school exhaust guy that my dad knew. He could probably fix me something up custom. Just need to figure out what the best size tube would be.

James

You almost certainly have a leak there, directing the gasses upward. It is a bit close to the floor board but isn't an issue if it isn't leaking. Check the flange for leaks and the pipe for a hole. Fix that and then attach a piece of sheet metal above the pipe and problem solved...

B