where to put two new tires

jdubs12

So my tires are pretty worn and a friend had 2 reasonably new ones that he gave me, where is the best place to put them? (yes they are the same size as the current ones) I am just wondering if the front or rear should have tires with the most tread.

cheers

Up your...

Oh, you mean on the vehicle? :tongue:

Yes, up front as has been said. Two reasons, the front takes the majority of the braking load, and in driving if the back slips you fishtail and/or spin and have a chance to recover. If the front slips, you'll slide into what ever is in the direction you were headed with little hope of salvation.

B

why not just go find another used set of tires for the rear? Used tires are usually pretty inexpensive. Crap you can get 235/75 R15 Goodyear Radials from walmart for like $80 a tire brand new, not that you'd actually (*ahem/cough*) want a set..but as basic tires go...ehh, if I weren't trying to offroad and just wanted a decent tire I'd probably lean toward the Cooper Cobra Radial GT. Those look pretty cool in the 255 / 75 / 15" size and they're not that much..maybe $105 a tire.

IIRC tire shops say to put them on the back. Understeer means you hit something with the front of the truck, where it's designed to take a hit. Oversteer means you hit something with the rear or back of the truck (or roll it).

Given that it's a Pathfinder you're probably fine so long as you don't put them both on the same side. :lol:

well atleast with having 4 wheel drive capable on the Pathy, good tires up front, can shift into 4 hi in low traction / wet slippery condition and have good traction tires pulling up front. Like being in a front wheel driven car in the rain, there really low threat of spinning out.