making snorkel/pre-filter

I've bent grey PVC doing underground electrical services. Video show's a blow dryer, but a heat gun works a lot better, and might be the only option depending on what grade of PVC you're using. We never put sand in the pipe, but we were also making more gradual bends. I think the one in the video still looks pretty bad because he's only heating the pipe in one place then bending the pipe in a very tight radius. It's gonna kink whether you have sand in it or not. You're better off to heat the pipe over a longer distance, then make your bends a little more gradual. Just my 2 cents.

I've used a heat gun before and it worked fairly well. As was mentioned it is better to heat a larger area to get a better quality bend. Try not to heat the pipe all in one place at once and then move it over and heat another place. Keep the heat gun moving to get the whole bend area hot gradually. I pulled the pipe against a plywood template to help get the right angle and radius. No matter what you do it is really hard to get a perfect bend out of pvc especially when you're shooting for a really small radius.

I'm pretty sure the black pipe is actually ABS, I'm not sure if it bends the same as PVC. I found an Instructable on bending PVC, probably the same idea as the vid but here it is anyway. http://www.instructables.com/id/Bend-PVC-Pipe/

You might also consider using marbles or a rolled up towel or something if the sand isn't cutting it. Getting them out will be more interesting but I suspect (especially for large-gauge pipe) that these would prevent kinking better than the sand.

I've thought for a while that this would be a fun project but then I've never driven through more than a few inches of water. Good luck and post pics! :)

F*ck the Sh*t pipe! Buy pre-bent pieces of 3" exhaust pipe and bedline it! It "looks" like something you have bought but it WAAAAY stronger and isn't made to shuttle pieces of poop and tampons into the earth... jeez

IMG_20121014_081256.jpg

Edited by new4x4r
  • Like 1

F*ck the Sh*t pipe! Buy pre-bent pieces of 3" exhaust pipe and bedline it! It "looks" like something you have bought but it WAAAAY stronger and isn't made to shuttle pieces of poop and tampons into the earth... jeez

IMG_20121014_081256.jpg

How'd you attach it to the windshield frame?

Yes, I do see the brackets :rolleyes: but it doesn't really show you how they're mounted. It just shows them going into the slot between the door & the pillar so my question still stands.

Yes, I do see the brackets :rolleyes: but it doesn't really show you how they're mounted. It just shows them going into the slot between the door & the pillar so my question still stands.

Superglue.

Hahaha sorry dudes. I'll take more pictures... heaven forbid you should use that thing on your shoulders. Yeah just bend a couple pieces of tin and use... f*ck it, I'll post pics

• Like 1

Ok so heres how she be...

Little pieces of Steel/tin for brackets

snorkel_zpsa53362be.jpg

Self taping screws

snorkel1_zpsd787feac.jpg

snorkel2_zpsff7c7ab3.jpg

Cut an oblong hole though the fender and a 3.25" hole in the unibody. Use door edging to finish the hole, I used a sliced piece of rubber hose. Looks like sh*t, but what doesn't on this beast

snorkel3_zpsbfe5c284.jpg

Piece of Marine exhaust tube coupled to the pipe.

snorkel4_zps390bf88c.jpg

Marine exhaust pipe routed into the "Hotwod Mod" airbox. (search on CNTC)

snorkel5_zpsd339682b.jpg

There ya go boys. A bit of bordem and a few Beers and these solutions come to you :-)

• Like 1