Pacesetter or Doug thorley

MattYeomans

Hey all,

I'm new to the site! and have a question

What headers should i put on my vg30e to get the best sound and performance? Ive read all the review i could find on pacesetter and doug thorley but wasnt really pushed either way. I will be doing the entire exhaust too! I dont need a cat so just pipe and muffler, opinions on mufflers that work best with whatever header would also be appreciated. :rolleyes:

thanks in advance!

Matt.

Thorleys are thicker and will live longer. The overall quality of their wormanship is better.
Every so often you will find a pacesetter Ypipe that has a major blockage issue where the pipes meet. Its not every pair but it is a sign of poor quality control.

• Like 1

So those are pretty much the only two headers for that engine then eh?

Yep! Welcome to the world of limited aftermarket support!

Experimental Enginiering Has the parts to make 1 or 2 more sets of pathfinder headers. They will not be CARB appoved and EGR must be requested if you want it.

They are superior in every way exept they will run out about $1,200 for headders and a Y pipe.

OBX 300zx headers fit as well; cheap, no Y-pipe and really, really complete garbage. good for a throw away motor on a budget.

• Like 1

1,200!? lolwut! he has a set of headers for 395$ IIRC, bare steel i think. paint them your self. Then a y pipe for 210ish. Steel. again. paint yourself or...? 1,200 is over kill in every way, shape, and form. :lmao:

The thorleys are great headers and really makes the exhaust system more efficient. I personally run them as well.

I've for a few sets in stock if anyone needs a set you can order on the rugged rocks website or give me a ring during the week.

1,200!? lolwut! he has a set of headers for 395$ IIRC, bare steel i think. paint them your self. Then a y pipe for 210ish. Steel. again. paint yourself or...? 1,200 is over kill in every way, shape, and form. :lmao:

Cost of coatings adds up. Sure you could rattle can them... Being a professional in painting and corrosion management I know the pitfalls of that.

If your going to invest in the higher quality David provides, you might as well invest in keeping it well protected.

Maybe its not quite $1200 but its still more than the (inferior) competition who has bulk purchase and production power.

I just bought my second set of Throleys so that my wife's pathfinder can have a set.

They make header paints, that actually work well. :) not saying they are as strong or as nice as finishing them professionally (I.E. getting them dipped) but still. Hell, i havent found anyone besides Pacesetter that makes a header for my 720. So it looks like ill being going with one of their headers when i get on it...

Getting some pipes dipped would be a lot charge, $120 a decade or 2 ago here. Not sure now, but it can't be too much more.

From what is out there, the Thorley headers are the best bet. They have good quality, design manufacture and warranty and there aren't many options so it is easy to decide... :shrug:

B

I see your in Fontana, do you have a shop there, if so an addy ?

I'm down in Elsinore

I don't have shop space to work on trucks up here but hoping by the end of the year things will be different.

Gone crawl'n

• Like 1

Getting some pipes dipped would be a lot charge, $120 a decade or 2 ago here. Not sure now, but it can't be too much more.

From what is out there, the Thorley headers are the best bet. They have good quality, design manufacture and warranty and there aren't many options so it is easy to decide... :shrug:

B

Yeah...you are much better off getting headers that already coated. The cost here in Montreal to get headers coated is nuts. My mechanic just had a set done for a customer and got charged $500 CDN. The shop actually wanted to charge him $600 but he negotiated it down. Bear in mind these were a huge set of headers for a muscle car but even he was shocked.

That's got to be at least $50 USD :lol:

Yeah maybe back in the '90s when we were the Walmart of the North lol. Since the dollar has been at par its been great getting parts south of the border. Canadian prices can be as high as double for the most common things and then we get nailed with tax that would make your eyes bug out.

Its always fun going to his shop...he specializes in 10 second cars and always working on something that gets the juices flowing. You can see some of his work here.

http://www.billetproshop.blogspot.ca/

Oh crap! $500!?! :blink:

Ok, now I'm going to have to get a quote so I know. I used to deal with platers (nickel, copper, gold) and anodizers, etc all the time...

B

Yeah I really want to know what the price difference is...I'm sure you will be at least $200 bucks cheaper in Cali if not more.

• 3 weeks later...

They will be fine. Just be ready to have an exhaust shot help with the install. They are not bolt on even thought they look like it. The flange that bolts to the tail pipe isn't the same size. The cross over pipe is a pain in the ass to connect too. I have the pacesetter painted version. I'm happy with them but all of the above mentioned is something to think about. Don't be mad if you run into those problems. You where warned lol.