What's the most weight you've ever towed?

Howie

I searched through the towing threads on here, and couldn't find a satisfactory answer to my problem. My other car is a Challenger which I drag race. I'm getting to the point where I want to tow it to the track instead of drive it, in case I break something. Problem is, it's a heavy car. The car weighs 4200 lbs, plus the trailer at maybe 1800 lbs would make the total tow weight 6,000 lbs.

I know the automatics are only rated to 5,000 lbs, and it gets worse because I have a manual so I'm limited to only 3,500 lbs. However, I think the consensus on here is that the 3,500 lb limitation on the manuals is to protect the clutch/transmission. Replacing the clutch or transmission would still be cheaper than buying a whole new vehicle just to tow, so I'm willing to risk it.

Still, I haven't seen on here anybody towing more than 5,000 lbs. The track is about 125 miles away from me, so a 2-hour drive over pretty smooth highway... very mild sloping hills, no mountains.

If I go easy, and only do this a few times a year, you guys think I can get away with it? Or, is the Pathfinder just too small a vehicle? I'm concerned about the weight ratio here too. Even if I can get the truck to pull the trailer, I don't want to run into a situation where the trailer drives the truck.

What do you guys think?

I searched through the towing threads on here, and couldn't find a satisfactory answer to my problem. My other car is a Challenger which I drag race. I'm getting to the point where I want to tow it to the track instead of drive it, in case I break something. Problem is, it's a heavy car. The car weighs 4200 lbs, plus the trailer at maybe 1800 lbs would make the total tow weight 6,000 lbs.

I know the automatics are only rated to 5,000 lbs, and it gets worse because I have a manual so I'm limited to only 3,500 lbs. However, I think the consensus on here is that the 3,500 lb limitation on the manuals is to protect the clutch/transmission. Replacing the clutch or transmission would still be cheaper than buying a whole new vehicle just to tow, so I'm willing to risk it.

Still, I haven't seen on here anybody towing more than 5,000 lbs. The track is about 125 miles away from me, so a 2-hour drive over pretty smooth highway... very mild sloping hills, no mountains.

If I go easy, and only do this a few times a year, you guys think I can get away with it? Or, is the Pathfinder just too small a vehicle? I'm concerned about the weight ratio here too. Even if I can get the truck to pull the trailer, I don't want to run into a situation where the trailer drives the truck.

What do you guys think?

I towed a 4200lb travel trailer (brakes did not work on it either), to my surprise braking was a joke, and it pulled pretty easy. large hills were slow... like 90KPH.

you'll probably be able to pull it...........stopping once up to speed might be another matter.

I figure surge brakes and planning ahead should have me covered.

You will probably be OK, though if you find the engine struggling to maintain speed in 5th gear, you may want to just slow it down and drive in 4th. For safety, I would probably not exceed 60mph anyway. 50-55mph is wiser.

I'll assume the trailer has brakes. If not, don't even think about towing it. Your stock brakes aren't up to the task of slowing down 10,000 lbs of mass very effectively, especially when 60% of it is behind the rear axle! Handling could be dangerous as well.

You will likely put additional wear on the clutch with the trailer attached, especially if you're stopped on an incline. If at all possible, avoid stopping on an incline with the trailer/car in tow.

If you already have a Class III hitch, the trailer, and the Challenger, load it up and take it for a local drive to see how the combo handles at speeds up to 45mph. Quadruple your following distance and reaction time, because as someone else pointed out, you can probably get up to speed OK, but slowing down will be an entirely different matter. If it feels too unstable, it's not going to get any better at 60mph.

Edited by XPLORx4

Good advice, Xplorx4. Thanks! I was planning on doing exactly that. A little test-run locally, see how it goes. If I get too scared, then I won't make the long trip.

i have towed a 2000lb trailer loaded with my victory 1500 motorcycle and a bunch of funiture to texas from colorado and back again and had no problems at all. but then again mine is an automatic so not sure about the manual. i figure it was about 5000lb total

I'd be very cautious with that tow. Ive towed a 5000 lbs boat and trailer combo with it as well as my project car on a trailer. The lack of braking ability is scary and really not safe IMO. I'd be lookin for a tow vehicle, especially of racing is something you want to keep doing frequently. Have fun!

I was towing a speed boat up a long hill in the summer and set my carpet on fire due to the hot exhaust and hole under my feet. Make sure you don't have a rust issue over the exhaust pipe, regardless of what you decide to tow.

I once towed a wd21 (according to the scales it weighs around 4k lbs) with a uhaul car trailer (they say it ways 2210 I believe). I was using my fathers 2000 5 speed vg33 r50. I did not know at the time that the manuals had a lesser capacity, being as I was new to towing and the guy at uhaul thought we were towing a jetta (that was what we had originally rented the trailer for). It pulled great and I kept it in 4th most of the time as I didn't go over 80kmh much. Braking seemed fine although the trailer claimed it had hydraulic surge brakes so that may have helped.