I am devastated!

wolkersdorfer2

Okay, so its not that bad, but here is what happened.

I had my truck at the shop, getting a lot of work done to it.

When it was done my mechanic said that before he took it for a test drive, he forgot to put the lug nuts back on, so when he drove it the wheel fell off and caused this. i came to see my truck like this:

zaI8nyx.jpg

8eukLIg.jpg?1

t6mj3Ci.jpg

I consider myself fairly good at reading people, and he seemed sincerely embarrassed at his mistake and i have no doubt he will completely have it repaired professionally. I know someone who works at the best body shop in town so i am taking it there.

They have insurance for just this reason, thats the main factor in human error... the human part. Nobody was hurt and it will get taken care of :aok:

Yes. Considering the worst thing that has ever happened to any of my cars is that i bent a rim on a curb, its crazy it happened this way. i am very glad no one was hurt and the mechanic didnt get hit by someone else or something, this should be pretty straight forward.

Unfortunate, unnecessary and fortunate. At least he didn't crash into anything because of it and make it worse. That is cosmetic so as long as a good repair is made and the paint matches, it will be fine.

Still, that would be very annoying to see! Cut him some slack and you should have a grateful mechanic for years.

B

Cut him some slack and you should have a grateful mechanic for years.

That is what i plan on. Ive done work with him before and he has always been straight. its a mom and pop type shop i went to after getting screwed over multiple times with my other shop.

The shops insurance (or the shop its self) will take care of any damages, not yours.

My friend is a mechanic at a local "moms and pops" garage here in town. They do really good work, are honest, and make mistakes from time to time. Last summer, two of the three mechanics were helping each other out on a simple oil change. One of them drained the oil and changed the filter while the other guys were problem solving another car. Then, when the guy that was changing the oil went over to help diagnose the problem, the garage owner backed the car out and handed the keys to the customer before any one put new oil in the motor. The lady made it half way across town before the motor seized All were embarrassed but, they did replace the motor with out turning it in to their insurance.

The shops insurance (or the shop its self) will take care of any damages, not yours.

My friend is a mechanic at a local "moms and pops" garage here in town. They do really good work, are honest, and make mistakes from time to time. Last summer, two of the three mechanics were helping each other out on a simple oil change. One of them drained the oil and changed the filter while the other guys were problem solving another car. Then, when the guy that was changing the oil went over to help diagnose the problem, the garage owner backed the car out and handed the keys to the customer before any one put new oil in the motor. The lady made it half way across town before the motor seized All were embarrassed but, they did replace the motor with out turning it in to their insurance.

This wasn't jiffy lube was it? :laugh:

Yikes! Looks like it only got the fender, though, find a black fender in a junkyard and you should be good to go. For anyone who hasn't heard Ron White's bit yet...

(if you're easily offended by language don't bother)

My dad had something similar happen, he took an Audi in for CV joints and somebody forgot to tighten the bolts properly. My dad drove all the way from Washington to California, then went out the next morning for groceries and saw one of the axles bouncing down the road behind him. :blink: The mechanic made it right though.

and yet another horror story...I once had my oil changed in my VW Golf a the shop down the road the day before heading up north on a 2 week camping trip. I got about an hour out of town when my oil light started flashing and the buzzer sounding I quickly pulled off the road and shut her down, looked under the car to see oil gushing out the bottom of the engine. The drain plug had vibrated loose. I had to hitch hike to the next town find a oil plug, 4L of oil and an adjustable wrench go back and fix it, then continue on my trip. no lasting damage but when I went back to talk to the mechanic about it, he gave me attitude and a list of excuses. He never once asked how he could make it up to me. I told him never mind but have cautioned lots of people from going to that shop since.

Thats what i assumed until tungsten said that... still dont know why he wants me to pull the fender, or have an adjuster come look at it...

All these stories make me wish so much more that i had my own shop! i still do an impressive ammount of work in my 10x15 garage.

yikes that sucks that happend but it could be alottt worse when i was 15 working at my dads shop we had a customer who had bought us a rx7 that we had a built turbo setup for and a 5.0 mustang swap in and guess who forgot to screw in the hose for oil feed line luckly it had a scatter sheild on it. but i spent the rest of my summer working on meager allowance paying for a t74 turbo

If you are going to file an insurance claim with the shop's insurance, there will most likely be an adjuster on the way to see how much you should be compensated for. After that you can pull the fender off to inspect for any other damage.

I would pull that tire off and check the rotor for damage.

I once swapped winter tires onto my 720 Datsun in the parking lot at work. A couple of days later it was making a funny noise. So I headed over to my cousin's garage. About a block from my house my left rear tire passed me, bounced over the median, across 2 lanes of traffic, over a green strip, across the service road and ended up on my front lawn. Some guy in a supra turbo ran over my brake drum. The lugnuts were rattling around inside the hub cap. . .

Costly mistake. Always torque your lugnuts and retorque after 100-150 km (60-90 miles).

I would pull that tire off and check the rotor for damage.

I once swapped winter tires onto my 720 Datsun in the parking lot at work. A couple of days later it was making a funny noise. So I headed over to my cousin's garage. About a block from my house my left rear tire passed me, bounced over the median, across 2 lanes of traffic, over a green strip, across the service road and ended up on my front lawn. Some guy in a supra turbo ran over my brake drum. The lugnuts were rattling around inside the hub cap. . .

Costly mistake. Always torque your lugnuts and retorque after 100-150 km (60-90 miles).

x2

My driver's side rear tire passed me about 2 months ago. Scariest thing that's happened to me. It was nighttime and seeing all the sparks shooting out my tail end wasn't a very comforting sight. Luckily for me, there wasn't any huge damage besides needing new studs and lug nuts. Brakes were just fine. I was scared as heck that it was going to cost a fortune to fix though~

Pathfinder is at the shop today getting the new fender put on. I took it to get the wheel balanced and they said its bent and will need replaced. so i still need the fender flare replaced, wheel replaced, and an allignment, then i will be good to go!

The real professional is not the one who doesn't do mistake but the one who know how to recognize his mistake and can professionally fix it... elegantly.

You can go back to your mechanic. Glad for you of this happy ending. Nice car.

Philippe.

• Like 1

Was the mud flap stock? 94-95 flares and mud flaps are integrated unlike the earlier models. Pain in the arse trying to find in the junkyard since they were only around 2 years.

Yes its stock thats why it was harder to find, somehow they are easier to find than a passenger side corner light though!!!

The real professional is not the one who doesn't do mistake but the one who know how to recognize his mistake and can professionally fix it... elegantly.

You can go back to your mechanic. Glad for you of this happy ending. Nice car.

Philippe.

Well said. I would not hold this against your mechanic at all. In fact, I'd probably trust him more after this.