Is this normal or strange?

rollingrock

As I am learning more and more about my Pathfinder...this one had me scratching my head.

I pulled in the garage today with the head lights off...when I parked the truck my dash lights were on...then I figured out that when I press the brake pedal my dash lights come one, foot off the brake and lights off.

(This is only when the headlights or running lights are off)

Is that normal? if so, what would be the reason for it?

RR

I'm betting you got wires crossed/touching from your trailer harness. When you hit the brake your running lights are probably coming on as well which will kick the dash illumination on. The reverse is probably happening as well, turn on the runners and see if your brake lights are coming on with them. Id start fresh with that trailer plug (you did just wire it if I'm thinking of the right member-not back searching at the moment).

• Like 1

I'm betting you got wires crossed/touching from your trailer harness. When you hit the brake your running lights are probably coming on as well which will kick the dash illumination on. The reverse is probably happening as well, turn on the runners and see if your brake lights are coming on with them. Id start fresh with that trailer plug (you did just wire it if I'm thinking of the right member-not back searching at the moment).

yup that was me posting in that old trailer wire thread...so I guess I shouldn't have combined the running and brake lights...wonder if I need a 5 way and not a 4 way .

At this point I look forward to the strange in your posts. :)

I'm not good with wiring, but yes, since this is new and after the trailer wiring info (which you didn't mention right away. :nono: ), yes you have something crossed. Didn't you think that immediately? :scratchhead:

B

At this point I look forward to the strange in your posts. :)

I'm not good with wiring, but yes, since this is new and after the trailer wiring info (which you didn't mention right away. :nono: ), yes you have something crossed. Didn't you think that immediately? :scratchhead:

B

I hate to be the new class clown. No I didn't think of the trailer wiring...until I saw it on the other forum.

yup, I am a dumb ass....went out and snipped the running and brake lights, guess what, no more dash lights blinking on...LOL

I suppose I need a 5 way trailer plug than a 4 way.

will post int he trailer wiring thread.

Nah, class clown would be buggering it to where the windows rolled down when you turned left or something. :lol: Good on you for figuring it out.

But actually this gives me an idea... if I wired my key light to my brake lights, I wouldn't have to search around in the dark with the key. :happy:

Yep, recent trailer harness install. Seen this before. Good catch Nunya

It is even more fun when it blows the fuses or fries relays everytime you brake!

Glad that didn't happen.