high pitched whine?

bushnut

so comming back from hunting the other day I noticed a very high whine at arond 80kph.I'd been driving at highway speed for about an hour. RPM was around 1800. temp was right in the middle. If I slowed down it goes away if I speed up it goes away.can't tell if it's from the trany (auto) or rear end. just replaced the trany fluid about a month ago. Anybody have any ideas? I know its not a belt could be a bearing somewhere I'd just like to narrow down the search.

thank

ps: this has been the most helpful forum I've ever encountered. keep up the great work.

I have the same thing, but its been doing it for at least two years, or since I've owned the truck. I just thought it might be the driveshaft making a bit of a hum or something. Maybe someone a bit more knowledgable in this area will chime in soon though. Mine is a manual though.

Edited by erathge

so since your return from your trip, can you duplicate the whine while driving? Does it happen all the time under the same conditions? Any idea where the sound is coming from, ex. front, back, etc?

Was the wife in the car?

^Like he said, can you have someone try to pinpoint it while you drive?

It really sounds like a bearing whine the way you describe it. When is the last time the fluids have been changed? Tranny, rear end, front diff? It might be that simple...

B

• Like 1

it starts at around 80 km/h if i let off the gas it slowly goes away and if i accelerate it goes away or is drowned out by the sound of accelerating. sounds like it's coming from the middle to rear. in town I don't hear it at all.

We had an r50 that was bought near new and I always remember it made this kinda howling noise in the back, it would go away if you let off the gas and if you gave it more. All the fluids were maintained and I could never figure it out. It was a manual tranny. Good luck.<br /><br />

Edited by adamzan

We had an r50 that was bought near new and I always remember it made this kinda howling noise in the back, it would go away if you let off the gas and if you gave it more. All the fluids were maintained and I could never figure it out. It was a manual tranny. Good luck.

Mine does this too, always has as far as I can remember. Never could figure out what it was exactly, it's probably the air outlet grilles at the very back side windows.

• 3 months later...