To Seafoam, or to do something else...?

WxChaser

So I've got a 93 Pathfinder, with 137k miles. I've been using Mobil 1 full Synthetic oil, a K&N oil filter (I try to get a Mobil 1 extended or Bosch extended).

I'm thinking about seafoaming the engine the next time I do an oil change. I've done some seafoaming on other engines in friends vehicles, but I'm always just a little testy when it comes to putting it in my engine.

Reason why I'm wanting to do it is to see if there is any improvement in MPG, power, etc.. as well as being able to clean out the engine. I know how to do the process... I just need to know if there are any negatives for this... as well as if there are any better products.

Plan is to suck in 1/3 through the vac line, then 1/3 in the crankcase, and the rest in the gas tank. Once I let it sit for awhile I'll go beat the crap outta it to get all the stuff out.

So, let me know if you think it's okay to do, or if you know of any BETTER products. I'm just looking for more engine power and more MPG's.

You don't need Seafoam in the crankcase if you've been running M1 for the past few oil changes. Engine oil is the only thing that belongs in your crankcase.

There are better fuel system cleaners. Those containing polyether amines (PEA) such as Chevron Techron, Gumout Regane, and Redline SI-1 are proven to clean without leaving behind their own deposits.

Use something like Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner, Amsoil Power Foam, or Seafoam Deep Creep for top end cleaning.

• Like 1

I was skeptical about using Sea Foam in my engine and intake system at first. However I have run it through the Brake booster hose, directly down the throat of the throttle body (TBI) and regularly in my fuel, with no negative results. It does work, and works well. I pulled the heads off a motor I used this in (due to a broken timing belt) and was amazed at how little carbon was on the piston domes and in, and around the valves and combustion chambers ! If you run it through the crank case, plan on changing the oil and filter within about 150 miles though, just to play it safe.

Another product I was given to try, which really blew me away (better throttle response and much better mileage) is made by a company called BG Products. The fuel additive I used is called 44K. This stuff is kind of pricey at $45.00 a can, and I use it 3 times a year. My mileage went from an average of 10 - 12 mpg in town, to 18-20 mpg in town. 22-24 on the hi way

Just my exexperience

I haven't heard of anyone having a problem after seafoaming an engine. That said I wouldn't beat the piss out of the engine with Seafoam in the crank case... seems like it wouldn't lube things as well under load. Maybe take it around the block a couple times.

Thanks all, will take on TownCivillian's notice to avoid putting in the crankcase. I've never done this to my own engine, and while I wouldn't want to harm anyone else's engine, I certainly don't want to damage mine (considering it's 2 decades old!)

I was skeptical about using Sea Foam in my engine and intake system at first. However I have run it through the Brake booster hose, directly down the throat of the throttle body (TBI) and regularly in my fuel, with no negative results. It does work, and works well. I pulled the heads off a motor I used this in (due to a broken timing belt) and was amazed at how little carbon was on the piston domes and in, and around the valves and combustion chambers ! If you run it through the crank case, plan on changing the oil and filter within about 150 miles though, just to play it safe.

Another product I was given to try, which really blew me away (better throttle response and much better mileage) is made by a company called BG Products. The fuel additive I used is called 44K. This stuff is kind of pricey at $45.00 a can, and I use it 3 times a year. My mileage went from an average of 10 - 12 mpg in town, to 18-20 mpg in town. 22-24 on the hi way

Just my exexperience

How do you go about using the BG product? Same way as Seafoam (brake booster line, gas tank) or another way? Really just want to see improvement from 15/16 MPG mixed use.. I believe I get about 17 on the highway, maybe 18 when I'm coming down the mountain to go home. I know that's not terrible compared to other Pathys, but I came from driving a Mazda 626 5-Speed, which gave me 32 mpg and 400+ miles per tank on a 14 gallon tank. Still scratching my head over why I let such a great car go.. but anyways, anyone knowing how to do the BG product without having to buy all of their equipment surely would be appreciated!

Also, can I get an idea as to what I should buy from BG should I choose to use them?

You just add it to the fuel before or after a fill up. (I've done both). You have to buy it through a distributor since BG doesn't sell to the 'big box' stores. If you go to there web site, you can locate a dealer/ distributor near you by zip code. They sell alot of products and I was first introduced to them back in the late 70's and early 80's with a product called 'extreme pressure concentrate' I used it in my Moto Cross bikes, in the transmissions. I rode the 125 class then and had to constantly slip the clutch to keep them in the power band. Regular oils would break down or foam from the high heat etc...

I have had the entire intake system cleaned on a previous motor using the kit they sell online, how ever that motor died prematurely due to a broken timing belt, and numerous bent valves! I have used Sea Foam poured directly down the throttle body, brake booster line, and then run BG 44K through the fuel system via adding it to my fuel.

I also will mix about 1/2 a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil in with the fuel about every 3 months to aid with top end lubrication ( Most of the fuel available today contains ethanol and these engines weren't designed with that in mind, even though unleaded fuel is recommended. It's diluted enough to prevent fouling plugs, while still adding some lubricating qualities. You'll defineitly notice a difference from doing all this by how smooth the engine idles !

• Like 1

I did the through the vaccum booster thing once (don't remember where I even got the can from), nothing more than a smoke show. I'd never pour something that THINS the oil though in the crankcase. If my memory serves me well, there was someone around here that used some kind of additive in the crankcase against the recommendation of the place that was doing an oil change and ended up with some unhappy sounds and gauge readings...

Possibly... :shrug:

I've used engine flush products before, usually only once when I buy a vehicle and then it is per instructions, usually 'idle for 5 minutes'. I haven't used Sea Foam for that purpose, or for injector cleaning, I generally just dump some Techron in the tank when I remember and call it good. Some people swear by certain products while others don't see any real improvement so I suspect it is a case by case situation. The fact that there are so many products out there doesn't help either.

B

OP, if you decide to do one of these... do a 0-60 before and after! We appear to have loads of anecdotes but no proper data.

As B said, it generally is a case by case situation. Some see something, some don't. I saw nothing and will not glorify a product I got 0 benifit from, but if someone DOES get a benifit I'm more than happy for them.

I agree with B. It usually on a 'case by case' basis, and I'm sureit depends on the condition of the engine in the first place. There are all kinds of 'tune up in a can' in the market. I've used Techron and read considerable reading from time to time, as to whats in these products. The chemicals in most injector cleaners available over the counter, aren't really strong enough to disolve old, hard carbon deposits which is why BG recommends the use of the 'Intake cleaning system' before using 44k. Then regularly using 44K as a maintance program. Sea Foam on the other hand seem to accomplish SOME of the same results when used undiluted directly through the intake system. Them used in the fuel and 1/3 of a c an in the crankcase to disolve and remove sludge build up GRADUALLY. I have seen cases where people have added an entire quart of Kerosene, diesel fuel, Gunk engine flush etc...at an oil change! All it did was loosen up large deposits of sludge and BLOCK the oil passages, which as mentioned will result in some very unpleasant sounds from the engine bay!

My results are real in terms of mileage and smoother running. I never expected a 0-60 gain or anything of that nature. Thats why theres 101 Octane Booster !!! LOL. Or acetone, and White gas....

Follow the instrutions and use your head, and maybe you'll see some mileage improvements. ; ).

So, KRMiller,

If I was to buy a qt of Mystery oil, a can of SeaFoam, and a bottle of BG 44K, in what order (and timing) would you do this sort of process? I'm thinking SeaFoam, then after letting that run through, add a bottle of BG 44K to the gas tank and then once I go get fuel again, add half or all of the 1 qt of Marvel Mystery Oil? I'm only asking because I just want to make sure this is done right. Would like to see the best fuel economy improvement.

Then, once you do this major flushout, I'm guessing you'd recommend doing a dose of BG 44K and MMO at the next oil change (roughly 4,000-5,000 miles as I'm running synthetic).

Thanks for your help, by the way.

Just my exexperience

That's a huge mileage increase! This is your 89 pathfinder were talking about? I remember you fighting low fuel mileage. After you got your vacuum leak fixed it got a little better. I don't remember you posting about breaking a timing belt. This just sounds like the holy grail for fuel mileage. I'm about to yank the fuel injection off of mine and try a carburetor but if I could get the mileage up to that level I would leave it alone!

James

So, KRMiller,

If I was to buy a qt of Mystery oil, a can of SeaFoam, and a bottle of BG 44K, in what order (and timing) would you do this sort of process? I'm thinking SeaFoam, then after letting that run through, add a bottle of BG 44K to the gas tank and then once I go get fuel again, add half or all of the 1 qt of Marvel Mystery Oil? I'm only asking because I just want to make sure this is done right. Would like to see the best fuel economy improvement.

Then, once you do this major flushout, I'm guessing you'd recommend doing a dose of BG 44K and MMO at the next oil change (roughly 4,000-5,000 miles as I'm running synthetic).

Thanks for your help, by the way.

Yes, it doesn't sound right like that, does it? :D

I've done some seafoaming on other engines in friends vehicles, but I'm always just a little testy when it comes to putting it in my engine.

Reason why I'm wanting to do it is to see if there is any improvement in MPG, power, etc.. as well as being able to clean out the engine. I know how to do the process... I just need to know if there are any negatives for this...

What did your friends have to say about the seafoaming, before, during and after?

B

I would not bother with either Seafoam or MMO in the gas and just use BG44k or Techron for fuel system cleaning. Use a foaming cleaner to clean the intake as I said above, and don't put anything at all in your engine oil (or any other lubricant for that matter).

If you insist on using MMO, use 4oz per 10 gal of gas. If you use too much it'll run like crap.

I agree. The MMO is just to lubricate the top end, and will probably do nothing to remove carbon build up. My thinking here is similar to using the 'lead additive' to unleaded fuels. Strickly personal preference and my own observations during tear downs of higher mileage motors, from people who don't like to change their oil more than once a year! ; ).

There is a TSB floating around on here, which addresses the carbon build up in the VG 30. The factory's bulitin suggested 'wallnut' blating the intake runners, with the heads on the block ! I know a Nissan tech locally who is about to retire, but was just starting out when these trucks were introduced to the market. Their dealership service dept. was swampped with customers complaining of rough idle, stalling, and poor mileage rior to this 'fix' !

Just sayin...

I posted some info about cleaning my intake a while back, but I can't find the thread. I perform the throttle body and intake cleaning on a regular basis. Here are the photos I took...

003.jpg

That was the throttle body before cleaning.

Here is a shot down the intake...

004.jpg

And both after cleaning...

0013.jpg

0033.jpg

I used, and love, the BG products. The system pressurizes the intake cleaner and is shot right in front of the throttle body. They also have some in a small spray can you can use to blow the crap off of the throttle body.

I will note that when I did this, I also used the 3M injector cleaner thought the injectors. I use chevron fuel 95% of the time. The two services made a huge difference in power and overall run ability.

Injectorcleaning1.jpg

Here is the BG system, but not a great photo..

005.jpg

(I know the pictures are crappy. I borrowed a friends camera and didn't set it up to take better close ups. Sorry)

Yes, carbon buildup is a issue on the VG motor. You have got to clean that stuff off. I will try and find my previous thread.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Awesome tips, thanks for all of that! I'm extremely picky about maintenance on my vehicles, and this Pathy is no exception. I've been really meticulous due to the fact that I bought this off another college kid who seemed to care more about other things in life than his vehicle (Cosmetic issues, mainly).

Precise, my 2 friends who have used it love it. 1 drives a Saturn and does it every oil change and claims he has more power. The other drives a Jeep and says it helps his occasional rough idle (though on the last Seafoaming we did on his Jeep, I discovered his rough idle was due to the distributor).

I've never done a Nissan engine so I just wanted to make sure that the VG 30's can handle something like this. Looks like in the coming weeks I'll be going to a service station back home, and getting the BG fuel/air induction cleaning (per KRMiller's awesome advice!) then seafoaming whenever I wish (or just during oil changes, whenever). Might add some techron to the system every once in awhile, but I don't want to go overkill or else it defeats the purpose of saving money on fuel!

Also have read that cleaning the MAF sensor does wonders too. Haven't looked to see if it's even dirty (I've got no experience with that.. yet). Looks like my Fall Break from school may become Pathfinder repair/maintenance time!