To Seafoam, or to do something else...?

WxChaser

Like 5523pathfinder's posted here, I go one step beyond.

I pull the intake off, and buy a new intake gasket and 4 cans of intake cleaner. I then proceed to clean all the passages and inside the hoses underneath till it is sparkling clean. Its amazing what sort of junk gets in there.

A fuel induction like he also posted pics of can also do some good. It is also a smoke show as noted. It is one of those things that will do some good if you needed it and waste $$ if you didnt.

However with induction cleaning, if your catalytic converter was on its way out, it will kill it. So your future purchase of a new cat will be moved forward in time :)

Will be seafoaming with a friend this weekend when I go home. It'll be perfect as I'll be able to record my mileage (I have a ~150 mile trip home, then the same back on Tuesday night). I'll make a little video of my truck and my bud's truck smoking out his yard (he lives out in the country whereas I live in a crowded neighborhood... and while he and I are both firefighters, we don't want to confuse my neighbors!). I'll see if there's any power difference, and if there's any MPG increase. I'll be sure to note that the MPG estimates will be rough (considering I don't want to keep going to the gas station all weekend getting fuel.. I've got enough to get home Friday, and will likely fill up once I get there). Currently I get anywhere from 15-16 MPG, never above 16. I do some city driving here at school, but I'm on the road for 2.5 hours, with 2.25 hours of pure highway, 65+MPH driving.

The guys on the NICO site swear by the BG44K, I thought it was only available to dealers but found a can at work and used it in or Q45 we used to have. Don't know if it made any real difference but it couldn't hurt. I had already pulled the TB and intake plenum off and cleaned it best I could as I replaced the 2 knock sensors and the harness that are under the plenum. It was really dirty when we bought it, some of the passages were blocked with carbon, had to use a pick to clean them out !! I cleaned it pretty good.

This is dirty:

looking into intake plenum, lower hole was totally blocked:

307rvww.jpg

after ( this was as far as I could get clean and was before I pulled the intake off):

2jacfom.jpg

TB butterfly from back side:

1z55h1z.jpg

after: I also removed those little crud ridges on the bottom after pic was taken , (with brush I found in one of the hoses):

ayqg8.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

Wow, looks like some serious cleaning!

I seafoamed last night.. Produced a decent smoke show. I let it sit for about 25 minutes because I was doing my buddies as well. His Ford didn't smoke at all.. Found that interesting.. I noticed a bit more power but I'm not going to be sure about gas mileage until later on.