Decided to go for it... trimmed vents

Slartibartfast

So I asked a while back if it would hurt anything to trim up the vents. Nobody had a good reason why not, so I went for it. Mine had a little white overspray on them, so I painted them black while I was at it.

I started with these.

P1010001_zps2e596e23.jpg

I considered cutting out the whole inside, but figured that a) they'd be too flimsy to install, b ) they'd be a PITA to do, and c) they'd just show the bracing inside the hood. So instead, I focused on the little slits in the back. Those slits go to baffles, which stick out maybe five cm from the body of the thing. Here's a back shot of what I'm talking about.

P1010002_zps86c81aac.jpg

The bench grinder made short work of these, but do this outside, because this plastic (ABS?) smells like cancer. I ground them almost flush with the rest of the part, scraped off the melted bits, and then cleared the burrs with a screwdriver. Here's the finished product after two coats of flat black.

P1010011_zps73cf5067.jpg

I've got them clipped it, but its dark out, so no installed pics just yet.

And yes, I know, this will make zero difference in how the car functions. But they look a lot nicer IMO, and that's worth a half-hour's work. :)

• Like 1

Might stay a little cooler under the hood? :shrug:

It's at least +4hp though! :D

Milling those off would be the way to do it, lol at 'smells like cancer'. I have a pedestal grinder/wire wheel combo and it is set up on the side of the house. I don't want the smell and grit n the garage...

B

I don't know what the point of these is except decoration but it does look like a fun mod. :aok:

Maybe someone can come up with a ram air intake system utilizing these ports? :shrug:

I think that these vents could have been the original intention for a ram intake on the TBI models.

I don't know what the point of these is except decoration but it does look like a fun mod. :aok:

Maybe someone can come up with a ram air intake system utilizing these ports? :shrug:

I think that these vents could have been the original intention for a ram intake on the TBI models.

It looks like a cool mod, and it could be utilized somewhat on the MPFI trucks. most stock have a little silencer tube that runs up the top length of the radiator. It doesn't actually function as an air inlet, but it could be modified to do so, along with these vents it could be a minor ram air.

Got a daylight pic of them installed!

P1010002_zps18f2f5ca.jpg

Might look better on a hood that's not all pocked up.

Knight Rider!

LOL not a bad idea... think I'll leave it for somebody with a black truck, though.

It looks like a cool mod, and it could be utilized somewhat on the MPFI trucks. most stock have a little silencer tube that runs up the top length of the radiator. It doesn't actually function as an air inlet, but it could be modified to do so, along with these vents it could be a minor ram air.

I wonder how much air would get through... seems like you'd have to cut the inside of the vent totally out (and cut the bracing inside the hood) to get much out of it.

hands_zpsdfbce815.jpg

My planet has run out of cheese.

I come in peace.

Very nice work!

I like the LED idea for fun! With the white truck, some soft blue LEDs with an on/off switch might be nice!!

WAY back in the day there were some fully open ones offered by Nissan Motorpsorts....but they are long long gone.

^Yeah, nothing like getting arrested for impersonating an officer. If I did it I'd probably use white LEDs... I think white and orange are legal, dunno about flashers though. Maybe if I hooked it up to the turn signals. (Maybe I'm overthinking this.)

Let us know if there is any noticable difference with anything, please.

As long as there is peas, I have some smoked cheese to supply. Gouda, Cheddar or Pepper Jack?

It was at the same temp (around the 1/2 mark on the gauge) as it always is after driving today, so I'm going to say it didn't really make a difference.

And the Cheddar sounds great! My people were so desperate that they resorted to Velveeta... very few survived.

I'd worry about attracting undue attention from the local authorities with blue leds...

I was thinking along the lines of parking for show, yeah any driving around with extra lights is asking for it.