Successful install of MSD coil 8228 No mess no fuss :)

gv280z

But I want more power / gas mileage and I have to mess with stuff! It's in my nature, I can't help it I just have to tinker with stuff and try to make it better. To buy a toy like this and then never play with it or put my own spin on it, leave it completely bone stock original is just sad, even though I'm totally aware that this vehicle in bone stock plain jane form was 100 % fantastic on it's name day. My truck is bone stock with 4 wheel drive, and a k&n filter (no lift, tires, suspension work, engine work or exhaust) and with weak sidewalled highway tread 235 75 / 15 Kumho Solus KR 21 crappy tires, this truck has taken my son and I on some terrifying adventures and gotten us through unscathed. We have been through some scary crap and never got stuck, close though. I love it, and I acutally bought this thing with the intention of having it serve as my family's Arc when things get crazy, socially speaking. It's our escape pod.

Sorry, but I think you misunderstand what I meant. Nothing wrong with tinkering (hell, it's actually supported here), I was just stating that the ignition is strong stock and that means people haven't messed with it much.

I'd like better power and gas mileage also and have done a lot of work to try to achieve both. What I've wound up with is something that is arguably improved from stock in both clearance, power, armor, etc but might have lost a little mileage.

Yes, my Pathy is our escape pod too. ;)

I know in my heart my truck is already capable performing the task for which I bought it for which is to have a tough vehicle for emergency evacuation amid chaos and be able to protect us and all our gear and supplies. Sorry for going on a negative tangent but I have been over run with doubt regarding our economy and I fear the chaos that would / will ensue there-after, meaning a crash. In my mind I have become the crazy homeless guy holding a sign screaming "The end is nigh!!"

No, the MSD was totally irrelevant and unnecessary and I was stupid to take the risk. I'm lucky it worked out.

Yes, if I ever have to evacuate, it would be in our WD21 which is being set up for expedition type adventures. I doubt it would be socio-economic reasons though, more like natural disasters; things aren't nearly bad enough for society breakdown and I doubt it wil ever be. I'm talking about volcanos, earthquakes, tidal waves, etc.

I don't agree that it was irrelevant, unnecessary, etc. You tried something new and works for you. That's actually considered a success... ;)

It's funny you say that...... I have to chair the occupational health and safety committee at my work. It was always being brought up about earthquakes and what we would do....... which is very relevant on the west coast of BC.

So I get the city of vancouver to come do a presentation on earthquake preparedness... their evacuation routes, and how they would handle the emergency. etc

Let's just say I'm more scared now, than before the presentation. I spent the next 2 nights (while my wife was working) to search google earth and figure out how to get out of the city without crossing a bridge. I also registered to take my PAL. (gun license) and am buying a shotgun.

3 days without food and water and people become violent.

If @!*% goes down, I need to be prepared. The camping supplies we have will allow us to 'survive' outside the city for a while. I guess till things settle down. next purchase is a cb radio.

the lesson I got from the whole presentation, is that no one will be respsonsible for your or your family's personal safety. it's up to you.. not screaming doomsday here. but a little prep such as stored water and food will go a long way.

This is something everyone needs to consider, if only briefly. In the event of a catastrophy, what do you do?

My wife and I have discussed where to meet and/or what to if it isn't immediately possible. We have a stock of basic food and supplies for a month, water filtration/purification, basic camping equipment/gear, a vehicle set up for remote travel, and some means to defend ourselves. The last bit I want is a home solar system that charges a few deep cell batteries that have a power inverter attached. I'm not looking to power the clothes washing machine, I just want to be able to charge batteries, run refridgeration part time, purify water, power lighting, etc.

Our basic set up isn't a big deal or expensive per se, but it should give us a better chance if the grid stops working. :shrug:

B

Wow Precise 1, you're waay ahead of me man. You covered a lot of ground, all I can really say is, Nice on all accounts.

Probably not as much as you think, and it isn't all 'complete' either. It's what I've collected for a while, mostly just for outdoor activities. These, of course, apply in an emergency. :shrug:

It's also a sensible precaution living in an active fault zone. Hell, Yellowstone could even make my day.

B

But I want more power / gas mileage and I have to mess with stuff! It's in my nature, I can't help it I just have to tinker with stuff and try to make it better.

I'm guilty of the same and I don't think it was a stupid risk only because I had done my homework on this very coil and knew it was safe. I just never got around to it.

What I did get around to was an MSD 40th anniversary 6al paired with a 45,000 volt blaster high vibration coil 8222

I noticed no change In MPG but I did cool spark tricks like unplugging one wire and watch send a purple spider of electricity though a solid rubber radiator hose to find ground through the coolant. Friends loved watching the light show.

I even suffered a starter-less ignition once...

I turned the key to ON instead of ACC for the radio the engine was hot the box sent a spark to a closed CYL it shot down and it chugged to life, no stater and proceed to run over my motorcycle before I could stop it.

MSD does warn that accidental cyl fire and crank motion can happen when the system system is hot but it never warned me t would start lol...

Hey Harbinger don't get me wrong I'm loving my tough new coil, it feels really smooth and powerful on the freeway, I've been racing around with my power switch turned on just for the fun of it! However, when I consider the reason I bought my Pathy, that's when I feel a little low because I potentially compromised my family's safety via possibly frying my car because of a frivolous upgrade which I didn't really know how it would affect my truck. Hey how do you like your Yoko Geolanders? Been through any deep crud? Oh and are the Cragar Soft 8s the same back spacing / offset as the stock nissan wheels?

I want to upgrade the ignition on my my truck too. However I'm stuck waiting for a new transmission now. Probably going to convert my rig to a stick shift. I really haven't gotten the chance to try out the Geolanders or the Soft 8's yet. They were on for all of 80 miles before the transmission filter I plumbed fried it. The plumbing has been fixed but am waiting on the new tranny to be installed.

You win some and you lose some! I also conur, B is ahead of the exploration/shiat hits the fan vehicle for sure! Hell, I'm still dreaming of installing a 2" body lift!

• Like 1

The last bit I want is a home solar system that charges a few deep cell batteries that have a power inverter attached. I'm not looking to power the clothes washing machine, I just want to be able to charge batteries, run refridgeration part time, purify water, power lighting, etc.

Our basic set up isn't a big deal or expensive per se, but it should give us a better chance if the grid stops working. :shrug:

B

That's a big part of the plan that I want too. Enough solar and wind power to charge a battery array that will in turn power the essentials while funneling power back into the grid. I'm just too broke right now, and renting my current house. Will find my career path as a welder/machinist and live my dream!

I even suffered a starter-less ignition once...

I turned the key to ON instead of ACC for the radio the engine was hot the box sent a spark to a closed CYL it shot down and it chugged to life, no stater and proceed to run over my motorcycle before I could stop it.

MSD does warn that accidental cyl fire and crank motion can happen when the system system is hot but it never warned me t would start lol...

I'm guessing you had it parked in gear wouldn't it just start and stall.

I'm guessing you had it parked in gear wouldn't it just start and stall.

yeah, I always park in 1st or reverse and I wound up replacing my handle bars and everything on them, some how the rest of the bike was ok when I backed the truck off of it.

Hey My1path I road an XT 350 for a couple of years, got it brand new in 2000 when I was in the army up at Ft. Lewis in WA, Don't a lot of you guys live in the Pacific NW? I really miss that place, my adult home REGION....although I'm conservative and Washington isn't, I still love that place. I'm a Texas boy and so I still remember the very first time I ever laid eyes on Mt. Rainier, I stopped dead in my tracks and stared in awe.

I'd like to have a sweet power generating live off the grid house too but the problem is that you can't keep it a secret and someone else is going to want it, and then someone after that if you kill the first one. Oh and then the govt get's pissed at you for not needing them! They get mad when you get all independent and go freely off the grid. This is a dream for millionaires. If only I had the cash...the secret to true survival is being completely invisible where no one else can say, "Hey whats that really sweet gig that guy has going on over there that he worked hard for? Huh? He doesn't deserve that! Us lazy robber types should be in there!"

For all you with Netflix, there is a Twilight Zone (original, beautiful black and white) episode that captured the essensce of this wonderfully, Season 3 episode 3 "The Shelter"

Edited by gv280z

LOL... I'm on the east side of Washington... it's plenty conservative out here. :hide: And there are plenty of people out here living out in the middle of nowhere/off the grid. So long as they don't cheat on their taxes, the government doesn't give a crap.

I was born in Seattle, and kind of like it there, except there are just too many people. Too much traffic.

I'd like to have a sweet power generating live off the grid house too but the problem is that you can't keep it a secret and someone else is going to want it, and then someone after that if you kill the first one. Oh and then the govt get's pissed at you for not needing them! They get mad when you get all independent and go freely off the grid. This is a dream for millionaires. If only I had the cash...the secret to true survival is being completely invisible where no one else can say, "Hey whats that really sweet gig that guy has going on over there that he worked hard for? Huh? He doesn't deserve that! Us lazy robber types should be in there!"

For all you with Netflix, there is a Twilight Zone (original, beautiful black and white) episode that captured the essensce of this wonderfully, Season 3 episode 3 "The Shelter"

Personally, I'm just talking about a movable solor panel/battery set up that isn't hooked to the grid that only supplies very basic needs, the important ones. Check out this set up, it is plenty to keep the beer cold, heat up a hot plate and charge your phone/radio/flashlight. The solar panels are 2'x4' and only 25 lbs, you could even take one and 2 batterys camping. Mounted on my roof on the back side, or in the back yard, no one would ever see them and it's not that tempting of a target.

http://www.wholesalesolar.com/backup/1000-watt-home-solar-battery-backup-system.html

Read Farnham's Freehold, the first 1/2 says the same thing.

B

Wow this is great! I feel like I'm surrounded by family and friends already :) Hey Tmoore I was with the 22nd PSB over by ICORPS and the replacement battalion. We were in those old brown barracks down from watkins parade field. I did my share of running pt up and down Engineers Bluff (backwards and forwards) and had plenty of FTX's and Sergeants time up in those woods. I used to drive out the East gate and go through spanaway, and ashbe on up to the Paradise side of Mt. Rainier. I had two different sports cars at different times ripping through those mountain roads, it was awesome, loved it. Oh my GOD I almost forgot about The House of Teriyaki in Tillicum! Please tell me you went there!? I don't know your time frame but they used to be in a tiny little shack of a building and used to SLAY everybody around lunchtime, and then I guess after 2001 or 2002 they moved into the old Burrito restaurant down the road. Man that was awesome food.

Slartibartfast (I know where your name comes from by the way, even before the big time hollywood release, I watched the entire original british series in one setting, and used to have a txt only computer pc game at one time but I only got as far as the bar and the peanuts and crackers and the dolphins, 'Ford lay the towel in front of the dozer, please...' hehe) It's good to know there is a sect of freedom out there in Eastern Washington, I never got over that way, don't know anything about Spokane or Yakima. But boy I sure do remember the Cascade mountains. Seattle was cool, neat place but just too liberal, we have our own version of it here in Tx, we call it Austin and there's nothing there for me.

Hey Precise1 thanks for the recommended read, I probably will read that, I liked Stranger in a Strange land and I'm a HUGE Piers Anthony fan, don't really know anything else about Heinlen other than Strange land. It sounds totally relevant and interesting and probably really scary since I'm already inclined in that direction, probably the last thing I need. That solar grid array looks nice and relatively speaking not a bad deal, that looks pretty sweet.

I've always instinctively felt that through a system of pulleys and geared transmission or reduction that one could manually create kinetic energy and have that same amount of potential energy created visa vie the gear and pulley system and there-about have it re-directed back into itself to sustain perpetually. As in say, an electric vehicle rolling down the road, as it's rolling it's turning generators driven by geared hubs, which then in turn keep the battery cells charged which then gives energy to the motors to run the vehicle, round and round it goes and never grows old hehe hawhaw ho ho!!! Only problem is multiplying twice or three times the output vs the input so the output is able to create the input. I know of a set of sideways stairs and a cat that ate itself. Some of you know what I mean.

I'm sorry, I don't ever get to talk to anyone intelligent in my daily life, I'm a deep thinker trapped in a blue collar construction equipment rental environment, and I'm the only employee so I don't ever get to stretch my brain and let it play except when I'm on here :( I guess that's why I'm always on a tangent. And I don't Facebook, used to have one, I closed it. I know I'm the king offender of going off topic, please forgive me.

Oh yeah I got up close and personal today with a set of Cooper Discoverer ATP tires and I was very impressed, those things look mean as hell, I'm very interested now. If not those, then I may go with a set of Cooper STT's.

Edited by gv280z

perpetual energy...... lot of interesting reading material out there, especially regarding Tesla.. and theres a lot of smart deep thinker blue collar types. in all my years i've definitely never noticed a correlation between post secondary education and intelligence.

I would love to see the current rc technology applied to vehicles.....i'm not talking the forklift motors and laptop batteries these guys are doing now but programmable throttle curves through your pc. motor timing adjustments, temp settings etc. this company called Neu makes some of the most insanely powerful little motors. http://www.neumotors.com/Site/Dyno_data.html

the efficiency with lipos and brushless motors is astonishing. in the low 90's % wise. and were what? mid 30's with a combustion engine?

• 4 years later...

I don't know if there is even a benefit to installing an MSD coil. Pathfinder ignition systems are crazy good. If it makes you happy though...

It's pretty cool how the factory harness fit but you should change the coil wire, that looks way too sketchy.

when building a VG30e motor with horsepower / torque and even fuel economy in mind...an MSD blaster coil and MSD 6A box are not just a good idea, for me they are a necessity. after installing these 2 components I have seen ( and felt ) a huge difference in power right through the rpm range and most noticeable at very low end and very high revs :)

when building a VG30e motor with horsepower / torque and even fuel economy in mind...an MSD blaster coil and MSD 6A box are not just a good idea, for me they are a necessity. after installing these 2 components I have seen ( and felt ) a huge difference in power right through the rpm range and most noticeable at very low end and very high revs :)

Well sure, you added the ignition control box as well. Just the coil by itself is not a performance part on these trucks, and the only people noticing a difference are those with previously bad coils, and/or those taking sugar pills. I've tested the factory coil in my truck, and it put out 35-40k volts.