Cranking Torsion Bars

Guest 0pti0n

Judging from the people here, crankin the T-bars and getting JGC springs quite a common thing. So my question is, how easy is it to do? And any recommendations for doing it, ie procedures?

Hey OptiOn. I'll beat everyone to the obvious and standard answer... Use the 'search' function and read. That being said, there is a good write up by 88 at the top of the garage section titles 'rear spring options...' or something equally identifyable. Coil spring compressors, jack and jackstands are about all you need other than common sense. The T-bars are easy.... Jack up and support the front end. Loosen the locking nut, turn the bolt clockwise (while securing the second nut I believe). If your truck sits even (from side to side) just count the turns and do it the same on both sides. If you crank them up a lot, have it aligned. The T-bars should take you 20 minutes.... Good luck.

Bernard

I had no trouble installing my rear coils with new p/u isolators. I had a friend to wedge a piece of wood in to pry the axle down so i could slide the new coils in. It's easier if you set the top of the coil in place first, then work the bottom in. You might need to use a prybar, but it's not likely.

Ok, maybe you dont need coil spring compressors if you remove brake line guides, have friends with wood wedges, prybars, etc. I have a set of spring compressors from working on strut front ends, so I didn't think about the work arounds.... I'm sure they all work...

Bernard

88, you mention spring spacers, top and bottom.... How much do they space ? Is there a reason why not just to install the spring spacer on the bottom and use the stock springs to gain lift ?? I just replaced the rear shocks with ProComp ES3000 shocks and as Mr Pickles said, they are stiff, so thats not a worry. 2" is all I want, but maybe spacers don't come that thick ? Clue me in please...

Bernard

I have some 3/4" reinforced rubber mat available, so I cut out two rubber donuts to space the top and bottom of the springs. Works fine. That's about a 1.5" spacer height amount...with the amount the ends of the springs sink into the rubber, I'd say about 1" tops.

Ok, maybe you dont need coil spring compressors if you remove brake line guides, have friends with wood wedges, prybars, etc. I have a set of spring compressors from working on strut front ends, so I didn't think about the work arounds.... I'm sure they all work...

Bernard

I wouldn't call it a work around at all. Its about as simple and common sense as can be had. The axle drops a certian amount before lines are stretched, which is all that help my install back. So I just freed up the guides for the lines and gained a bunch more extension, which made the install pretty much brain dead work. ;)

Got ya 88. I had imagined a hard insert with the contours of the spring cup that could just be placed in there.

Understood Mr P... What I meant by work around was how to do it without spring compressors. Yes, there is more than one way to install the springs, none is right or wrong, just what tools you have and how you prefer to do it...

B

I bought a set of ACs 2" coils really cheap. When I went to put mine on I removed the pan hard bar and shocks, and the wheels. Let the rear end sag as much as it could, and the stock springs fell out. I set the top of the new spring in first and was able to pop the passenger side one right in. The driver's side wouldn't go in so easily though. Well, being half done at that point and without a spring compresser, I used a ratchet strap. I dropped the strap down through the openning in the middle of the top spring pertch and hooked it towards the bottom of the spring then hooked the other end to my slider. Then cranked on the strap slowly while prying on the bottom of the spring to get it over the bottom pertch. The hook on the srping slipped a few times but finally it held enough to work.

Gotta love redneck inginuity.

• 2 weeks later...

:wacko::blink:

Man, you all make me feel like I'm tarded! I'm gonna have to try my torsion bars again. I didn't get the lift I was expecting. The front still slopes down unlike the rear. I'm angry! :furious: Once I get it to where I want the front, I'll get an alinement and then some pic's for ya'll!

All you guru's make me :oops: , but we love ya for all your knowledge. -study-

Thanks guys/gals

:beer:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on cranking the torsion bars tomorrow. Roughly how many rotations does it take to achieve about 1 inch of lift. Will I notice the truck rise as I turn or is it more gradual than that?

I only want 1 inch because I figure ball joints will wear less than if I did two inches, also I don't want my dad to notice a difference or he'll start bitchin' at me.

LOL, dont need to piss dad off !! Do what I did after I pulled the T-bars to yank the tranny if you need to estimate. Have the wrench/ratchets with you + tape measure. Crank a few times (equal on both sides) and measure it. You HAVE to drive it inbetween to let things 'settle' but it works. If you want to be more precise, use a 1' finely graduated steel rule, and measure the A arms, with the same crank and drive method. Patience kills the savvage beast, or something like that... Just make sure you are on lever ground when you take measurements !!

Bernard

I'm going to get the CALMIMI springs and control arms this spring to do the 3" lift. If I keep the stock t-bars can I get the 3" of lift in the front?

I can't decide on buying the springs and control arms separate with bilstein shocks, or just buy the CALMINI 3" kit with the springs, control arms, new t-bars and the CALMINI shocks. It equals out to about the same price.

Does anyone have an opinion? Which would give a better ride?

As far as your t-bars are concerned, depends on how old and tired they are. Have they been cranked up before? How's the front end ride? How long have they been in there? If they have been in there a while, and you are going Calmini everything else, might as well go ahead and replace em, since it will be easy to do while you're in the same area.

M.M.

Mine have sagged some. I cranked them some to raise it maybe 1/2" now. They are the original ones that came on it. I can tell by the ride that the shocks and the t-bars are worn out.

I didn't know if by the time I crank them enough to get 3" lift I won't be able to stand the ride. Has anybody tried it, and has anybody know anything about the CALMINI shocks?

Ok, now I want to do this JGC spring thing in the back, but I only want one inch of lift (so I don't plummet the nose and also to hide it from my dad). 88 has posted that I may only get 1.5" out of them because of the extra doors and tire rack... good. But I still need another half inch less than that. If I lop off another 1/8 of a coil that should lower it about where I want it. Here's my problem: Will the springs fall out of their sockets?