Stupid question about the transfer case boot

Slartibartfast

So, I just got my new transfer case boot from Rob. Right part, quick shipping, all good there.

I decided to install it today.

I've got the bolts in right, but I wasn't sure how far down the shaft I should push the bit with the hole. The shaft tapers towards the bottom, and then notches to very narrow on the way down to the case. I pushed it all the way past the notch, but suspect I did it wrong, as the rubber has to deform quite a bit for 2H, and I can't actually get it back far enough for 4LO.

P1010003-15.jpg

Does it just need to break in, or am I doing it wrong?

Thanks for any input.

Glad it got there, you jumped right in on that fast. I have always thought it amazing how much heat comes up through there when the rubber boot is torn, great in winter, not so good in the summer!

When I did mine about 2 years ago, IIRC correctly I had the part that goes around the shifter level with the rest of the boot, before the lever notches down. From the picture above I think you need it to come up about 1 inch.

PART NUMBER: 74965-80G00

INSULATOR, TRANS HOLE

$26.21

Not only heat, but also sound! It's worse than driving with all the windows down. I have mine down about that far, and reaches all the gears. since it's new rubber it's pretty pliable. the boots tear because as they age they get brittle, and getting in to 4-lo is a bit of a stretch....

what about the leather (interior) "pretty" boot? :D

for auto matic 1994...

Kyle your truck has both boots, the rubber one is under the leather one. My leather one on my gray 95 was torn for years but since I replaced the rubber boot it was still quiet.

My dad saw me messing with it and suggested just pulling it up like the boot in his stick-shift Triumph. So we did.

P1010001-17.jpg

Seems to work better. :) I got the trim boot back in... nice to have this back together after six months! Thanks all.

Kyle your truck has both boots, the rubber one is under the leather one. My leather one on my gray 95 was torn for years but since I replaced the rubber boot it was still quiet.

Yes I know I have both. But my leather one is torn... and my rubber one is shot. So I need both. :-)

Here is the info for the leather one:

PART NUMBER: 96935-75P00

DESCRIPTION: BOOT, CONSOLE TRANS

$66.08 (NISSAN LIST: $ 110.13)

part is for 1994-95 model

• 3 years later...

Well, update three years later... apparently how I showed above is not a good way to do it. I went to swap the boot into my '93 and it's torn again, with a little dryness/stress cracking here and there as well. I'm not sure I want to drop another $30 + shipping right now. Anyone found a redneck home replacement for this part?

I went to the jy and robbed one out of an xterra. They have a strange setup. First the same boot as the wd21, then a thinner rubber one, then the leather one. I took it all and now my truck is much quieter inside.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I went to the jy and robbed one out of an xterra. They have a strange setup. First the same boot as the wd21, then a thinner rubber one, then the leather one. I took it all and now my truck is much quieter inside.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

How is this holding up for you? I need to replace my t case boot. Is it a direct fit?

• Like 1