Does this qualify as good strut rod repair?

Tungsten

A few years ago just when I got my truck, it had really bad alignment issues. I tried to fix some of that by taking it to a shop and asking them to fix it. One of the things they did was repair and replace these strut rod (tension rod) bushings. I noticed that I still have some minor caster issues even now. Those tension rod bushing assemblies came from the dealership so they are factory parts. They don't look like they fit quite right though and one is even missing a cup. Do I need to have these cups removed and replaced with bearing races instead?

Driver Side

577572_10150906709884075_630083970_n.jpg

542358_10150906710049075_574262823_n.jpg

Passenger Side

282983_10150906710564075_1412260828_n.jpg

389600_10150906710214075_862235576_n.jpg

421489_10150906710769075_1371453659_n.jpg

579973_10150906710679075_2110249698_n.jpg

I can get more photos if anyone wants that.

You should definitely have a cup for each bushing. The cups and bushings determine the location where the back of the LCA pivots since it is (mostly) a twisting joint as opposed to a flexing one. That said, don't do anything to it quite yet. I'm currently prototyping a weld-on steel housing with sealed spherical bearing assembly to replace the crappy, flexy, rubber bushings. Knowing how much difference getting rid of the rubber makes on other vehicles I think it's going to make a huge difference on a Pathy. I'm mostly after eliminating the toe change under power climbing stuff off road but this mod should make a pronounced difference on the street as well. Toe change is a big factor in why IFS trucks don't wheel as well as solid axles. The only real question for the prototype to answer is: How much more felt vibration will there be? :shrug:

• Like 1

I think I will get a Ford cup welded on there for the time being and swap out the bushings for some poly ones just to prevent the whole thing from self destructing. I get torque steer going highway speed because of the toe and caster change from those ridiculously designed bushings.

I can't wait to see the prototype! I am definitely interested as that will also allow me to run a front limited slip differential without destroying the tension rods.

Yes, as was said, the cup is important. You look like you have a herneated disk or two so yes, changing them is appropriate and they always look a lot worse inside than out. Be prepared to de-rust/paint the strut rod too. A good swap that is inbetween factory and Mr 510's idea is simply to use poly urethane replacements. I can say from experience that they stiffens things considerably.

B

• Like 1

Poly Bushings up front made a huge improvement in my ride, steering and vehicle stability went up huge. I also need to repair my Bushings cups too though. I am going to grind them clean and weld on the fattest bearing cups I can find to increase caster to help align my 3" torsion crank

Edited by Nefarious

Today I found out that Nissan sells the actual cups for $5 per cup. I ordered 4 of them and will see what they are talking about. :lol:

The other thing is I have a set of MOOG poly bushings with the metal sleeves. Do I need the sleeves? I'm not sure how the factory one is set up.

K9515_TOP.jpg

Oops! I ordered 2 kits thinking it was for each side. Apparently one kit has them all for both. PM me if you want one for $20 shipped.

Edited by Tungsten
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today I found out that Nissan sells the actual cups for $5 per cup. I ordered 4 of them and will see what they are talking about. :lol:

The other thing is I have a set of MOOG poly bushings with the metal sleeves. Do I need the sleeves? I'm not sure how the factory one is set up.

K9515_TOP.jpg

Oops! I ordered 2 kits thinking it was for each side. Apparently one kit has them all for both. PM me if you want one for $20 shipped.

Sadly the techs at Nissan can't get the part number I was looking for. I'm going to see what's going on and they will let me know tomorrow. If I can't get the bushing cups I think I will just wait for Mr. 510s kit.

Yes, as was said, the cup is important. You look like you have a herneated disk or two so yes, changing them is appropriate and they always look a lot worse inside than out. Be prepared to de-rust/paint the strut rod too. A good swap that is inbetween factory and Mr 510's idea is simply to use poly urethane replacements. I can say from experience that they stiffens things considerably.

B

You might also be prepared to replace the strut rods themselves. Once I replaced my bushings last summer the rods were too rusted/worn out to reuse.

K9515_TOP.jpg

I have these same bushings on my truck. So far so good. :)

Yeah I have those. I just don't know what to do for the cups. I could get bearing races or use Ford F-series cup washers but Mr.510s product is looking pretty sweet. If I'm going to spend that money I would rather go for the best and buy his stuff. I would have used the poly bushings but the rotted cups just break my caster alignment.

I had to do some work on compression rod mounts on my old hardbody, the front side had no cups and the holes were elongated, I had some metal cut out to fit the whole flat area and the metal shop punched the holes thru the metal for me, than a friend welded them on for me, still didn't have any front cups and I never noticed anything bad with not having them.

I am also using those blue Moog bushings now on my PF.

If you say so! Then I might just switch to the poly bushings in the mean while leaving the cup out. The soft factory ones just compress and slop everywhere.

• 1 month later...

Alright I did the bearing race trick but only on the front side since the rear was fine...

543554_10151058569019075_1267774082_n.jpg

376677_10151058569114075_1166041554_n.jpg

488284_10151058569364075_580467366_n.jpg

551929_10151058569289075_1642529165_n.jpg

I have to admit that it doesn't look very clean but it works better than it ever did. I used the factory sleeves since the aftermarket sleeves were a bit loose but also decided to experiment with regular aftermarket rubber bushings first before I went to poly to see what the difference might be.

• 2 weeks later...