nissan original equipment nerf (step) bar questions.

banx

Hey guys, so I picked up a set of nerf bars so the wife can stop complaining about getting in my pathy.

These were from a 1994.... I own a 1991 se. I was under the impression that these vehicles were the same and the step bars should be an easy install.

I'm not sure if I'm missing a bracket of some kind, but there are brackets welded to the bars as well as some bolts/nuts. However, nothing apparantly lines up to 'bolt' on.

I tried finding some install instructions and I'm out of luck.

If any of you fine gents have these nissan factory bars installed, do you mind taking a pic for me of how they are mounted to your truck..... please

I was going to fab up some brackets and bolt it to the frame then have them welded on....

but none of the 'holes' in the frame line up with the holes in the existing brackets.

anyways.... just some pics if you could. so I can figure out how i can macgyver these bars onto my truck.

I will snap some pics of these bars when I get home from work today as well.

cheers

On both of my pathfinders that had the factory steps I removed, there was a bracket under the front doors on each side for the front mount. I left mine on because they were tight and I just didn't care. They come off seperate from the steps. The rear half I believe was bolted to the frame or the rear trailing arm bracket? I'd have to look at mine again. I can get you a picture of the bracket when I get home in at 2 ish if you'd like...

YES!! that would be excellent. When I was playing around with them yesterday, thats what I noticed.... the rear of the steps mounts to the rear trailing arm bracket... well THOSE 2 holes line up perfectly.

At least I will have an idea about how to fab the missing brackets...

and my pathy....

pathy.jpg

I don't do any hardcore wheeling, just getting into secluded spots for camping and fishing...

Edited by banx

My factory bars are from a king cab HB so I had to make my own rear mount (it bolted through a brace for a body mount on the HB) and the front actually had a bracket that 'clamps around' the frame. Might be a HB thing though :shrug: their currently in some weeds though in a pile with a bunch of other sets of factory steps of different forms, I'm not getting stung yet so you ain't getting any current pics from me at the moment :lol:

come on man, what doesn't kill you just makes you stronger :ph33r:

and here are the culprits.... going to sand and paint them obviously.

but as you can see.... theres something missing

stepbars.jpg

Edited by banx

The front brackets on mine (leftover because it didn't have steps on it when I got it) are exactly what Nunya is describing. I only have one left, my cut off wheel wore down cutting one off and I haven't crawled back under to cut the other off. I'll post up a pic when I get home if I remember. Maybe it'll give me incentive to just lay there and cut it off after pictures.

yours has three mounts? I remember the set I took off my SE only having two. a clamp style mount at the front, and a bolt or two through the frame rail at the rear, but I could be mistaken.

some pics of one of these installed please.... or so called 'clamp' would be very much appreciated. I would buy you a 'virtual' 6 pack.

like these.......

22-20-32-sm.jpg

That looks like something that was on the Titanic......

That's what mine looks like, bit if you want to see it mounted on the frame I can still take a pic.

I think you get the idea though.

My buddy, way back had the clamp type steps on his hardbody, pretty good setup as we found after doing a 3" body lift you could flip the brackets over and it raises the step just right.

well gentlemen, I sent the previous owner pics of the clamp..... and he remembered them.

so he got his buddy to bring the pathfinder to his place, took the clamps off and called me.

so I mounted them with stock hardware.... and ya i flipped em over cause I have a body lift. looks pretty decent and the wife can step in easier.

thanks for the pic nunya. you rock.

• 3 years later...

That looks like something that was on the Titanic......

I just came across this quote and its gold.. I am officially renaming my truck. My whole front end looks likes this lol. But its all just awkward surface rust. nothing harmful really, until i try to take bolts off...