How to remove 4x4 hubs when wheel moves freely?

1994SEV6

I was at the junkyard the other day and found a KA 4x4 King Cab hardbody there. Typical frame rust.

When trying to scavenge it for parts, I noticed that it had PERFECT OEM Nissan hubs. Only problem is..the wheels were already removed, and the calipers, too.

All that's left are the hubs/rotors, etc. With it moving freely like this, how could I apply enough pressure to the hex bolts to remove the hubs? I was thinking spinning the allen wrench to the right, then quickly whipping it back to the left, but I don't think this will do the trick.

Any ideas?

Nice find! That's definitely rare here. As for your dilemma.. If it were me, I would use a Jack under it, preventing it from moving?

If it.would work...put the transfer case in 4wd and loosen the bolts while.the hubs are locked? Hope this helps..

Good luck and get them.before they're gone! :D

a Hardbody KA? how old? hubs came in 27 and 28 spline... im not sure the year they changed. but im not sure if the 4CYL hubs will work. i would put a lug wrench or a pipe in between two studs on the brake disc.... if they will work with your 1994! :) hope this helps.

• Like 1

Find yourself a chain or strap wrench. It will fit around the outside of the hub itself and give you more than enough leverage. :D . It will also come in very handy for many things such as stubborn filters, holding pulleys. etc. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I say double check the spline count or you will have some shiny paper weights (like me). If the spline count is compatable bring a pipe and wedge it, if you have access to a cordless impact driver that might also do the trick. (I look for just about any excuse I can find to use my makita.)

what I would do is take a long prybar, wedge it between two of the studs and the ground in the direction you need to turn the hub bolts, it shouldn't move at all that way.

a Hardbody KA? how old? hubs came in 27 and 28 spline... im not sure the year they changed. but im not sure if the 4CYL hubs will work. i would put a lug wrench or a pipe in between two studs on the brake disc.... if they will work with your 1994! :) hope this helps.

Well, it's definitely pre-94. It has a square dash, but they only put KAs in them from 90-97. I'll have to double check. If they are 27 spline, they are pretty much absolutely worthless? Only worth something to someone else with an older 4cyl truck?

Find yourself a chain or strap wrench. It will fit around the outside of the hub itself and give you more than enough leverage. :D . It will also come in very handy for many things such as stubborn filters, holding pulleys. etc. Hope this helps.

ahhh good idea. Usually I'm pretty good at being resourceful. I swore to myself I would come back for those hubs after I got some parts for my Volvo, but it was hot and my pants were falling down...you know how it is.

what I would do is take a long prybar, wedge it between two of the studs and the ground in the direction you need to turn the hub bolts, it shouldn't move at all that way.

Yeah, that's kinda what I had in mind. I'll have to bring something big like that in with me next time. I usually only take screwdrivers, wrenches..and that's it.

Alan wrench and a hammer...acts like an impact...that's how I get mine off everytime...

I was thinking that too. It's actually kinda hard to find a good-quality 5mm (or is it 6mm?) allen wrench... SAE won't fit even if it's 'close', and cheaper quality allens will warp if you use them on something heavily torque like hub bolts.

Thanks a lot, guys!

ugh..... definitely 27 spline. Everything from 86-90 used 27, and the 4cyl trucks used 27 until 93. After that it was all 28..http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/25662-manual-hubyearspline-information/?do=findComment&comment=472000

Man. i wanted to put these on my HB too!!

Well, if anybody wants REALLY clean and perfect 27 spline hubs for cheap, let me know.

Edited by 1994SEV6

Price dependent, it might be worth picking them up TO resell.

Even if you don't take a breaker bar, be resourceful. Your in an automotive junkyard, something has a lug wrench in it. Great "in a pinch" prybar/wedge for that 1 time use then toss it back in the trunk of wherever you got it.

And wear a belt...

I was thinking that too. It's actually kinda hard to find a good-quality 5mm (or is it 6mm?) allen wrench... SAE won't fit even if it's 'close', and cheaper quality allens will warp if you use them on something heavily torque like hub bolts.

Thanks a lot, guys!

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-6mm-hex-bit-socket/p-00942676000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

• Like 1

yup, everytime I'm in the junkyard and need to find something to use as a pry bar, or am looking for a jack rod or something I can never find one.

Dam, your lots got some desperate thiefs! :lol:

x2 Lifetime guarantee = never depreciates in value since all you gotta do is walk into Sears and set it on the counter :aok:

I think the one junkyard I go to pulls the jacks out and re-sells them to the dealers, one day I was looking for a jack rod and every Nissan I looked in was missing the jack and the rod.

Dam, your lots got some desperate thiefs! :lol:

At the junkyard I go to, they have a separate person to check your bags/boxes for unpaid for parts. They also have a police car there, but I think it's just a car, and not an officer there. I was talking to the guy who checks the bags and boxes about what type of stuff he has found people trying to steal...man that was a long story.

He's seen people put exhaust pipe down their pants, hubcaps, fuel pumps..all kinds of crazy stuff. I won't even venture into the stuff he has found people trying to sneak out in their bags, or other various ways.

Yes, strangely, I've only ever found two or three jacks in the junkyard...never IN a car have I found one, only ever propping up a car wheel or something.

^^^ That, but I normally bring my breaker bar with me.

If I am working on my own truck or need the threads to remain intact on the lugs in the yard, then I put a couple lug nuts on to protect the threads.