MAJOR ISSUE w/front end

94 Pathy

Okay,

I was pulling into the parking lot the other day, slowly, not fast at all....the enterance of the lot is a nice bump where the street & parking lot meet with somewhat of a V-shape. I pulled in & "POP BANG CRASH"!

What the Hell was that?

I parked it & got out & looked at the front. Passenger's side is sloped down BIG TIME! Keep in mind, the Pathy is lifted. 3" suspension & 3" body. Gives ya an idea of spacing with 31's. The tire in about a half inch from the fenderflare. Shock was completely compressed.

I just jacked it up in the garage & took the tire off. Nothing lookes broke, snapped, twisted, or anything....

I'm curious if anyone has experienced this before &/or has any ideas on what it could be? I'm almost wondering if it has something to do with the torsion bar & lower control arm where the two meet? I"m planning on buying/ordering new shocks all around Wed. Need new ones anyway.

THANKS A MILLION FOR EVERYONES HELP & INFO!

Is it sitting on the bumpstop? Stripped splines sounds like a possible reason, could have also broke the t-bar completely. Don't happen often, but I have seen it once, on another vehicle.

The torsion bar adjusting bolt looks fine. Yes, it was sitting on the bump stop. DAMN IT! I do have the CLAMINI torsion bars on the other Pathy, so I'll have to get those off & install them onto this Pathy.

Now, about the adjuster...is that what the front of the torsion bar slides into & cranks the lower control arm? How difficult & expensive is it to replace that? I'm wondering if I should replace both of them so I know they have been done?

Nothing like having this crap go wrong just at the point of buying a new house. Should be closing in about a month. Shoot me now! :suicide:

Looking in the Chilton, it looks like what the majority is talking about is the Front Spring Torque Arm? Guess I'll be tearing into those. Thanks again for all the help! Will keep ya'll posted.

Mine did the same thing years ago on the old hardbody, whole pass side fell, it turned out the tranny shop only had the small lock nut on the threaded adjusting bolt, instead of the large nut with the small lock nut, in my case the bolt and the half round block fell out, luckily I was able to find them, also having the two stage torsion bars the secondary adjuster kept the suspension at the point where the tire didn't stuff up under the fender.

Another time before that incident while climbing a hill, same truck, the pass side again fell, wasn't as easy a fix as this time the whole lower control arm split in half like a "Y", had to replace the lower control arm, was pretty easy actually.

If your front torsion bar cup is stripped it will involve removing the bar and unbolting the cup to install a new one, if it is the rear mount, same thing just replacing the rear mount.

If your truck is sitting on the bump stop check where the torsion bar adjuster is sitting, if it looks to be in the same place it always was than most likely the front stripped out/

I went over some train tracks and this happened to me while I was driving up to the ski hill. It turned out to be my torsion bar adjuster, the bar itself was fine.

I think it was around $150-200.... but I might have had other work done too, I remember it not being anything crazy expensive.

Good luck man.

Alright,

So, what shocks are people running with? I was going to order CALMINI's all around so they match the lift, but they are 3 weeks out from getting the front shocks in.

I was going to go with JcWhitney & order the Rough Country Nitro 9000's, but not ment for Pathy's with 3" suspension lifts, so they are out.

I'm now looking @ Bilstein 4600 series & Rancho RS9000XL's from 4x4 Parts.

Not really wanting to fork out a bunch of money for shocks, but I guess I really have no choice. Just curious what others are running besides Rancho's. I have Rancho 5000's on now, but haven't really been happy with them compared to the CALMINI's. Can't really wait 3 weeks. Thanks for all your input!

Alright,

So, what shocks are people running with? I was going to order CALMINI's all around so they match the lift, but they are 3 weeks out from getting the front shocks in.

I was going to go with JcWhitney & order the Rough Country Nitro 9000's, but not ment for Pathy's with 3" suspension lifts, so they are out.

I'm now looking @ Bilstein 4600 series & Rancho RS9000XL's from 4x4 Parts.

Not really wanting to fork out a bunch of money for shocks, but I guess I really have no choice. Just curious what others are running besides Rancho's. I have Rancho 5000's on now, but haven't really been happy with them compared to the CALMINI's. Can't really wait 3 weeks. Thanks for all your input!

Holy small font Batman.

I have Pro Comp 3000's. 4wheelparts.com had a special running at the time and I wanted to try something other than Rancho which I had seen mixed reviews about. The first few weeks I kind of felt blah about them, they seemed a little firm. But they really shine off pavement. I couldnt be happier with them at this point.

There is a thread around here about different shock part numbers to run when its lifted. The front shock is the same no matter what, its the rear you need to get a longer one for. Its floating around the How To section or the Garage somewhere.

Here is the deal I got in on. They were running a buy 4 get a steering stabilizer for a while, but I missed out on that one.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-and-Shocks/4-Pro-Comp-ES3000-shocks-with-4-black-shock-boots.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=90&t_pt=101006&t_pl=101369&t_pn=ShockingES3000

Edited by Trogdor636

Ok, the splines on the lower control arm sleeve that the torsion bar slips into are stripped. So, do I buy new, expensive or not?, or just take one off the parts pathy & put this bad one on that pathy & be done? Thinking about taking one off the parts pathy to save some money. I can always buy new ones later & replace them.....

Ok, the splines on the lower control arm sleeve that the torsion bar slips into are stripped. So, do I buy new, expensive or not?, or just take one off the parts pathy & put this bad one on that pathy & be done? Thinking about taking one off the parts pathy to save some money. I can always buy new ones later & replace them.....

I think you just answered your own question? :unsure:

As ahardb0dy said, if the ones on the parts truck look good, then use them :aok:

Gotter done Billy!

I went ahead & put the original torsion bars on again, until I can get the CALMINI torsion bars out of the adjuster that you have the rear adjusting bolt going through. Hammer on one to pop out & nothing. HOLY COW! Soaking them now with PB Blaster. Try in a few days. Might try & heat them up & let cool down & then try it again.

Thanks again for all the info & help everyone! Hope all had a good Memorial Day weekend. :beer: