Xterra roof rack install on my 91 pathfinder

Hey I was able to snag a roof rack off of a friend of mine and thought I would share how I went about mounting it.

You will need:

Roof rack from an Xterra

Misc hand tools (sockets, screwdrivers etc.)

A drill and bits

A measuring device

Something to cut/trim the rack with( die grinder, or hacksaw)

Jack Nuts(for mounting threads in blind holes)

and a Pathfinder

I also used construction adhesive to re mount the foot pads to the rack after I had trimmed it, but im sure there is a better way.

th_DSCN1462.jpg

First thing I had to do was measure and trim the rack to fit my roof.

I think I took 3 to 3 1/2 inches off of the front and 2 inches off the side but dont take my word for it.

( I also dont have a sunroof)

Next I dry fit the rack onto my roof and after making sure it was as centered as possible I marked the four corner holes with a center punch. I had also removed the headliner so I could be sure I was not going to drill through it or something else, it is not necessary but it would be really easy to put a hole in it.

Now it is time to drill holes to fit the Jack Nuts, I ordered the nuts from Fastenal a local hardware company. It was the only place I could find jack nuts that fit the original roof rack mounting hardware bolts size M6, and after ordering what I thought were standard run of the mill jack nuts I received these. Jack nuts made to mount roof racks :beer:

th_DSCN1464.jpg

Even better, I did not even know these exsisted,

I drilled 7/16" holes after a pilot hole and it fit perfectly. I did this on all four corners and set the jacknuts with the POS tool that you can get to mount them, I found the tool at ACE hardware for $2 but buy at least 2 or 3 because they are easy to ruin, it also would not be hard to just make one, there is also a fancy tool like a rivet gun to install these but Im cheap

th_DSCN1459.jpg th_DSCN1455.jpg

After getting the four corner nuts installed I mounted the rack and marked the rest of my holes.

Also make sure and get extra nuts because you will F a few up before you get it to work, and it would be wise to practice installing one in a scrap piece of sheet metal so you can get the feel for it. With the rubber dip on these particular nuts it made them a bitch to install. I used my drill, a spare bolt in the proper size,and a washer between the bolt and the tool to set the jacknuts and it made it A LOT easier and faster. Also after you get the bolt started into the jacknut before you tighten it down let the nut spin into the hole to help wear some of the rubber coating off and give a better fit. This Is what they should look like. Notice a few holes you may be drilling through two pieces of metal.

th_DSCN1454.jpg th_DSCN1468.jpg

Repeat for all of your holes and mount your new rack.

th_DSCN1461.jpgth_DSCN1466.jpg

If you have any questions or if I missed something let me know.

Good write up, Thanks! We are going to have to get the 3-4 threads merged and pin them.

Good find on the specialty jack nuts, I just got the standard coated ones in 1/4-20. Napa auto parts, if that helps anyone. Now, if only I could find a Xterra roof rack. They are scarce around here but then I haven't been looking as hard as I could...

You are talking about the rivnuts James? Never riveted before and I've used the expanding dry wall inserts with great success so I have faith in the jack nuts. Oh, also no rivet gun and am pretty cheap. :D

B

Nice :aok:

With a little luck I will be doing this here pretty soon. Got a line on a couple racks... if they are still there that is.

B, not sure what it might cost to ship one but it might be worth looking into. :shrug:

I got the rivet tool at harbor freight for $14 with a few different size rivets with it. It is a duel purpose gun that does threaded rivets and regular pop rivets. I also got a box of threaded rivets for around $8. The factory used rivet nuts but they used a hex shaped nut. Hex would work better because it wouldn't turn if it got a little loose but those were really expensive online.

I just missed a short rack from a 02 frontier at our local pick a part. Maybe someone could have used it.

James

Damn I wish I thought about using a piece of vacuum hose over the drill bit to keep from going into the head liner. That would have saved a lot of time, but I am glad that I took it down before I drilled any holes because without something to stop that bit I would have vented my headliner.

While I had my headliner out I put some sound deadening material under the roof and then put insulation under that before putting the headliner back. It makes it a little quieter and cooler inside.

James

When we were installing the racks at the dealership we'd slip a piece of vacuum hose over the bits to act as a stop and not go into the headliner

Damn I wish I thought about using a piece of vacuum hose over the drill bit to keep from going into the head liner. That would have saved a lot of time, but I am glad that I took it down before I drilled any holes because without something to stop that bit I would have vented my headliner.

LOL Sorry, but as a machinist, it makes me chuckle that a piece of vacuum hose is used as a drill stop. What matters though is the results, so if it works for you, good job! :aok:

While I had my headliner out I put some sound deadening material under the roof and then put insulation under that before putting the headliner back. It makes it a little quieter and cooler inside.

James

I actually like this idea. I have a XT rack to install, but I've never pulled a headliner. How hard it is to remove/reinstall correctly?

B

So any anyone used the stock brackets that are used to mount the center feed in an Xterra, in a Pathfinder install? Does the rack line up in such a way that they can be used?

I also picked up an X rack this weekend and when I noticed the bolts sticking through the top of the X's roof when I pulled the rack, I investigated futher. Turns out the two center feet (any only the center feet) have backing plates inside, above the headliner.

I actually like this idea. I have a XT rack to install, but I've never pulled a headliner. How hard it is to remove/reinstall correctly?

B

The headliner isn't hard to remove but you have to pull all the plastic from the side walls and try not to break the clips that hold them on.

I also picked up an X rack this weekend and when I noticed the bolts sticking through the top of the X's roof when I pulled the rack, I investigated futher. Turns out the two center feet (any only the center feet) have backing plates inside, above the headliner.

What year X did you get that rack off of? I don't remember any bolts sticking up through the roof, the 2000 X I pulled my rack from had rivet nuts for all the mounting bolts.

James

It was a 2000, I'll see if I can get some pics of the brackets tomorrow.

xterrarackbracket05.th.jpg xterrarackbracket04.th.jpg

xterrarackbracket03.th.jpg xterrarackbracket02.th.jpg

First picture is as it sits in the truck. You can see the three rack mounting bolts and the two in the middle (a bolt and a nut) The are what was sticking up through the roof when I seperated the rack from the body.

Good observations! I was in a hurry when I took mine off because it was a cash for clunkers vehicle and they were slowly crushing them. So it just bolted through the roof to give the threaded holes more support or did it also connect to a cross member to help support the weight of the rack? Would make since as I'm sure the middle feet get most of the weight. Now to see if you can make it fit in the pathfinder.

James

The rack I got came off of a 2000 XT and it did not have anything sticking out of the roof, just the rivnuts as others have said. One day I'll get the thing installed ! LOL

Edited by ahardb0dy