oil filter?

Balln

Ok I have heard a lot of bad things when it comes to fram oil filters and this and that about other filters. I'm going to be doing a tune up and was wondering what is the best oil filter for my 94 v6 pathy. I have searched and I couldn't find anything on this topic or any brand of filter. People just state that they replaced there oil filter and don't give a brand. So if you guys would can you please help me out on this?

Thanks

Ryan.

Oyeah what oil do you guys recommend for my pathy that has 174,000 in the AZ summer that gets up to 115?

Brand and weight?

I prefer OEM Nissan but when I don't feel like driving down to the dealer I use Purolator Pure one filters. I tried a Napa Gold one time and the engine was ticking like crazy, replaced the filter with a pure one and the ticking stopped.

I prefer OEM Nissan but when I don't feel like driving down to the dealer I use Purolator Pure one filters. I tried a Napa Gold one time and the engine was ticking like crazy, replaced the filter with a pure one and the ticking stopped.

I just did an oil change on my own a few weeks ago and use the napa gold as well. I've got a lot of ticking now as well. I'll be changing it out to see if that makes anything different next change.

There's a couple threads about the subject but they get lost in the abyss when they ain't popular. Everyone has their own personal preferences, I'll see if I can locate a thread or 2 for you.

Thanks guys for the feedback. Junta thanks that would be great. Maybe another sticky? Lol. And I used fram on my z24 and my ka24 and I have had problems with both engines. Not sure if it had something to do with the fram filter but I have read bad things on other Nissan forums about them. So I'm staying away from them. I like them becuase they had the little grip part on the end. Always helped installing them. I never use filter wrenchs!!!!

But thanks again guys.

Could always set up a bypass filter that runs a fine filter screening 1 micron filter. Amzoils got a nice kit, although a bit spendy, but worth it if you ask me. Most of the damage that occurs in an engine is from the 2 micron and under size anyway. It takes about 10% of the flow at a time and slowly screens the small particulates out. You're supposed to get longer oil changes that way as well. I've been wanting to go this route for a long time.

OEM or Napa gold so far on the Pathfinder. Never had a ticking issue with Napa. I've used Wix on my KA and Z24 Hardbodies I have owned. Wix is the company that makes Napa gold. I've used K&N, but that was always on my motorcycle.

Oh, I put 5-30 in once I got in and havent changed. Our summers here get 100+ as well. Seems to be fine. I use Castrol dino oil, but I'm sure thats a whole other thread and debate.

Edited by Trogdor636

Bosch filters are manufactured by Purolator. Bosch Premium are clones of Purolator PureONEs; Bosch DistancePlus filters are different filters completely.

The lower end Frams are horrible value for the money. The ExtraGuards have nitrile combination anti drain-back valves and bypass valves (the nitrile can harden and become brittle over time/heat exposure, and the idea of a single nitrile chunk serving two purposes isn't appealing IMO), fiber end caps holding the filtering media together (which likely isn't ideal for a long oil change interval), and a pathetic amount of filtering media compared to similarly priced filters. Fram ToughGuards have silicone anti-drainback valves and more media, but still have fiber end caps. The Fram ExtendedGuards (recently renamed to "Ultra") are built like tanks and have a synthetic blend media, silicone ADBVs, and very thick cans; I wouldn't hesitate to run one.

I would much rather purchase and use a Purolator/Bosch, Wix/NAPA Gold, or OEM filter for a similar price of a lower-tier Fram filter.

Here are some informative diagrams:

filterdiag1.jpg

oil_filter_exploded_view.jpg

This is a Fram ExtraGuard filter cut open: http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/bigdaddyII/Oil%20Filters/IMG-20111004-00215.jpg

This is a Purolator PureONE PL14610 I cut open: http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa36/Towncivilian/oilfilter1/DSC09330.jpg http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa36/Towncivilian/oilfilter1/DSC09332.jpg

(sorry for the lousy links, this new forum software seems to hate my BBCode)

I filter my oil with 3 bounty etxra plush paper towels.

Purlota Classics since I get them at wal-mart for less then a Fram by $.45

Motorcraft makes a BA filter and there like $.50 more then fram.

I used Supertech ones when AC-Delco used to make them but now there cheaply made.

Motorcraft filters are manufactured by Purolator to Ford's specifications. An FL822 fits VG33E/VQ35DE equipped R50s, I believe.

SuperTech filters have been discontinued. All but the smallest filters used a nylon inner cage instead of a steel tube. I would not run one.

Mobil 1 filters are made by Champion Labs and are well built; I'm running one right now on my PF and my mom's '07 Altima. As far as I know, K&N filters are identical to M1 filters save for the welded nut on the bottom.

Yeah, when I had my vg I never had a problem with frams on it, not one. And the only problems I did have with them were on a 5.4 Mod motor in my F150. And it would happen within the last 1k of oil change intervile.

Motorcraft filters are manufactured by Purolator to Ford's specifications. An FL822 fits VG33E/VQ35DE equipped R50s, I believe.

SuperTech filters have been discontinued. All but the smallest filters used a nylon inner cage instead of a steel tube. I would not run one.

Mobil 1 filters are made by Champion Labs and are well built; I'm running one right now on my PF and my mom's '07 Altima. As far as I know, K&N filters are identical to M1 filters save for the welded nut on the bottom.

Champion Labs used to make Supertech and AC-Delco Filters, which at one time made Wix's also. When I bought Supertechs they were rebadged Wix filters. They went from having real thick casings to ones that crushed like pop cans. I used to follow all this but I lost interest since I change my oil at 3k for dino and 5k for syn and even the cheapest filters will trap stuff for that long.

For what it's worth. I had the ticking/took longer to build oil pressure on startup with the napa filters as well.

All this Napa filter ticking talk has me thinking its time to hoard a couple extra OEM filters or start using Bosch.

Thanks for all the help guys a lot of good info in here I'm planning on takeing my pathy to the dealer to get the oil changed. I called up to get a qoute to go ahead and have them change the plugs and belts and they wanted like 3-4 hundred $.

Yeah, the dealer charges the same price for the filter whether they change the oil or you do, at least around here. Around 8 bucks. Not bad for OEM.

Right now on my new to me '94 I am using pennzoil yellow bottle and a bosch filter. Engine is smooth and quiet even at 150k miles.

I would do it my self but those plugs look like a bitch to do and I never liked changing the belts. My buddy that's a mechanic said he would do it for me. But I'm gonna have Nissan do the oil change becuase I don't have anything to catch the oil and store it and they will wash my pathy for freeeeeee and it needs a bath lol.

Nissan even gives you the tools for free to change your plugs! They are with your factory supplied lug wrench. Nissan encourages you to "do it yourself" :)