roof racks

therepairgod

ive been looking for some extra storage up top, and ive been finding all sorts of cool baskets and gadgets, but nothing listed for the pathys... so my question is, has anyone had any luck retrofitting a rack off of another vehicle to the older pathys? like a YJ factory rack? etc? with the bump up in the roof in the back as well as the sunroof, im trying to find one that is short to just sit behind the sunroof, or one like the exterra and yj's that reach over and infront of the sunroof. my goal is to relocate the tire, mount some lights, jack, tow strap, yada yada stuff. ive been drooling over warrior products racks, especially the YJ options but just not sure as far as the fit goes, i cant build one, i have to buy, but i can modify allday, just thinking with such vehicle specific options in racks and accesories, finding which one will work and just replacing the rails on the pathy with a system that can be unique and easily changed would be perfect. thoughts?

The Xterra roof rack has been coming increasingly popular for a full length one on wd21s round here (I have plans of one once I get another truck). Before I got a correct wd21 roof rack for my truck (which I had to shorten a few hairs having a targa bar) I was contemplating a rack off a quad cab Frontier to be like a 'rear section only Xterra rack' setup.

As for wanting to mount all kinds of stuff up there I am assuming you are planning on using a basket of some sorts. On my wife 4runner I had a SportRack brand (which are generic Thule I found out) and it was more of a universal mount, not specific to anything. Just U-bolts and plates pretty much that wrap around the cross bars of the rack. And just having a 31 up in there changed the handling in an obvious manner, so be warned putting a bunch of weight on the roof will make you more top heavy as well (not saying don't do it, just be prepared :aok: )

A long time ago I took the measurements that I could work with and headed to the wrecking yard. And after checking a lot of different trucks I ended up walking out with one from an S10 Blazer. Ahortened it a little (might have narrowed it too, don't remember for sure now), laid it out, marked the roof, drilled and bolted it on (sealed the holes as I mounted it) and it's been there ever since. Works great. :aok:

Later I mounted a Thule basket w/extension, made a custom light bar and added a full-sized spare (33x10.5 w/matching wheel) HiLift jack, and other occasional items.

DSC00891.jpg

DSC00892.jpg

This is 2 Thule racks joined together to suit my needs. I do not have a sunroof. You could just as easily use one rack over the hump as you suggest.

Don't worry too much about what other people have used, just find something that looks nice in your mind and go for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DSC00891.jpg

DSC00892.jpg

This is 2 Thule racks joined together to suit my needs. I do not have a sunroof. You could just as easily use one rack over the hump as you suggest.

Don't worry too much about what other people have used, just find something that looks nice in your mind and go for it.

that is a VERY clean look!

im trying to accomplish two things with a rack. one a place to tuck away and protect trail lights, and two extraction gear. with the sunroof its like an escape hatch lol, i spend alot of time exiting out the top to pull my friends cherokee out of holes that i made it through, it would be nice to have a basket to put straps and chains in.

although im starting to rethink mounting anything on the outside of the pathy and heres why... branches. i was thinking the frontier rack and then low profile lights under the bars but thats still a lot of money just to have some lights and a basket. so my thought is to mount ammo boxes to the tire swing, and drill holes in the bottom of the box to store chains and such, they are lockable, durable, and the perfect size. as for the lights, im thinking 2 on the hood with a frame around them, cantilevering back to the center of the hood with a small basket behind the lights to put a strap in while running trails. the goal is to have nothing that will snag up but easily have access to extraction equipment that i dont have to get under the truck to hook up just pop my head out the top and throw a rope. it gets old getting your feet muddy when its somebody else's mess.

... it gets old getting your feet muddy when its somebody else's mess.

Our rule is that if you are the one that gets stuck, then you are the one that hooks the recovery strap.

• Like 1

I have some Yakima control towers that fit the factory pathfinder racks (with their footpads) if you're interested in them..they sit behind the sunroof....I can send pics and we can figure out a fair price...i barely used them

:beer:

On one of my XJ's I had used a conduit bender and some pipe to bend up a nifty roof rack. Took a few hours, but after it was painted it looked great... to me anyways.

For now, I love my X rack. Just different...

Come up with your own crazy design and take pictures!!

ive got some ideas brewing. im looking for an old shopping cart corral, to cut up. i was at walmart last night getting excited lol. i just want a low profile anchoring system for a few items as well as a folding light rack. ive got it in my head i just need a Mig and a cart corral!

Word! Just be careful not to breathe the fumes while welding galvanized pipe... That stuff will come back and haunt you!

He speaks truth! I worked for a fencing company, and breathing fumes from building the custom gates out of that galvanized pipe sure aint healthy.

Word! Just be careful not to breathe the fumes while welding galvanized pipe... That stuff will come back and haunt you!

Would you care to point out the side effects please?

This is from this PDF:

Typical “metal fume fever” begins about 4 hours after exposure, and full recovery occurs within 48 hours. The symptoms

include fever, chills, thirst, headache and nausea. All of these symptoms, pain and suffering, as well as lost work (and play)

time, can be avoided entirely by simply not inhaling the zinc oxide fumes.

In my experience I always felt quite sick after welding galvanized steel.