Here is something I havent seen before

Trogdor636

First my floor jack dies, now this.

So I'm taking out my last shock that needs replacing, and as I am ubolting the lower shock mount bolt, I run into this:

20120206_153111-1.jpg

20120206_153607-1.jpg

Now it might be kind of hard to see in the pictures, but as the bolt loosens, it isnt backing out, its actually bending the shock mount tab on the right out. I assume the bolt has fused itself to the shock mount tab on the left? I have tried hitting the bolt head, the tab itself, prying on the old shock, everything I can think of but heating it up, mainly because I dont have a way to heat it. At this point I guess I might have to throw the tire back on, and drive to Home Depot to get a little bottle to torch it and see if that takes care of my problem. Anybody run into this, and have some other method I can try?

yea, the joys of having access to stuff lik ethat :crossedwires:

if thats your last and only one, why not call a local shop and explain to them your deal. They might throw some quick flame and buzz it out for you for a quick couple buck slide :shrug:

yea, the joys of having access to stuff lik ethat :crossedwires:

if thats your last and only one, why not call a local shop and explain to them your deal. They might throw some quick flame and buzz it out for you for a quick couple buck slide :shrug:

Shops around here will charge you 40 bucks just to loosen a lug nut. I'll buy a oxy/acetylene setup off Craigslist before I go that route :lol:

Exact same thing happened to me when I was changing out my shocks.

3 were super easy, and then Driver's Front started doing what yours did. I used heat (MAPP gas) and my biggest hammer. Sorted!

So upon further investigation, the metal sleeve that sits inside the shock bushing (the one I was complaining the rear shocks didnt have!) has basically fused itself to the bolt. So now its like a giant bolt inside those two shock mount tabs, that I'm not even sure heat can solve. I might wait until the weekend to finish this, then if I have to sawzall the bolt (I have to sawzall the top anyway) I wont be stressed to get it back together so I can drive it to work.

Skipped most of.the posts but looks like a common problem with sleeved bushings that the steel sleeve basically rusts/welds itself to.the bolt causing issues getting.it out...I've seen people cut the bolt on either side with a dremle and.then ez out the rest of.the Bolton drill it till it spins out since the threads r already broken loose

Apply Dremel with a cut off wheel across the retainer of the shock to cut it open. Unbend the shock retainer or break it off. Once the shock is off the bushing, cut the bushing in half along with the bolt to remove the offending bolt.