Engine Swap?

DantheMayun

Hey guys recently the head gasket blew on my pathfinder and I'm ready to do some work on it. I want to swap a Chevy 4.3 v6 into it.

So far I know that I have to give it a 3' lift..... and thats about all I know haha..

I have a couple of questions though before I get myself stuck into a mess here.

How much work is this going to require? Do I really need to find a new radiator, transmission, and exhaust for the engine? How much rewiring will I need to do? Does it need a new computer? Will the engine even fit?!

Where can I find an engine and all this stuff ^^^ and how much is will it all cost in general because I only have 1500$ to blow on this project.

It would be wonderful if somebody has a guide to follow because I'm driving myself insane trying to figure all this stuff out! :headwall:

I'm just trying to get the most bang for my buck... thats all.

Any help or comments are very much appreciated! I need all the help I can get

Edited by DantheMayun

Hey guys recently the head gasket blew on my pathfinder and I'm ready to do some work on it. I want to swap a Chevy 4.3 v6 into it.

So far I know that I have to give it a 3' lift..... and thats about all I know haha..

I have a couple of questions though before I get myself stuck into a mess here.

How much work is this going to require? Do I really need to find a new radiator, transmission, and exhaust for the engine? How much rewiring will I need to do? Does it need a new computer? Will the engine even fit?!

Where can I find an engine and all this stuff ^^^ and how much is will it all cost in general because I only have 1500$ to blow on this project.

It would be wonderful if somebody has a guide to follow because I'm driving myself insane trying to figure all this stuff out! :headwall:

I'm just trying to get the most bang for my buck... thats all.

Any help or comments are very much appreciated! I need all the help I can get

I don't understand your logic completely. You went from A to C. You said "I blew a head gasket. I want to swap in a Chevy 4.3l." You skipped the middle ground there. Honestly, I would just fix the head gasket.

BUT, if you really want to swap the Chevy 4.3l in, where's some info

First of all, the 4.3l is a pretty good engine. It's not a horrible choice. The newer ones (96- to whenever they stopped making them) make decent power, around 190hp stock I think. It'll get you moving.

Second of all, yes, you will need a few engine (obviously) transmission, completely new ecu and wiring, new driveshaft, probably new rear diff, new front diff ( if you want to keep 4x4)

Essentially, you are making your Pathfinder into a Chevy Blazer, or GMC Jimmy, or Olds Bravada. Whatever you want to call it. I think you have to swap EVERYTHING over. engine, trans, ecu, driveshafts, cv axles...all that. I don't think any of it is interchangeable. I could be very wrong though.

4x4parts.com has an adapter for your transfer case to fit on chevy transmissions. It's $780. LOL. What a rip, but I thought you should know.

Here's what you need to know. The 4.3l is almost 1.5 times bigger than the Vg30. The displacement is bigger, and it's not nearly as compact. Also, it's an odd-fire engine, so keep that in mind.

Here's what you should do. Buy a Chevy Blazer. They are so cheap nowadays. Get one with under 100k miles. Around here, I can buy them by the dozen. I saw an ad on craigslist that actually said "three Chevy Blazers for $2500". They are just that cheap. Buying the entire vehicle would be your best option. It would be the cheapest, you wouldn't have to scout all the parts, and if you forget a part, no big deal, the vehicle is right there.

But if you don't have the opportunity to do that, then go to a junk yard. Except for Dodges, the GM compact SUVs are probably the most common vehicle in junkyards. $250 for the engine. Another $150 for accessories. $150 for the trans..$100 for the t-case, $75 for driveshaft(s), $100 for ecu, another $300 for anything else I guess.

Oh yeah. You DEFINITELY need new radiator and exhaust. It's a completely new engine. Nothing will fit.

But if he simply went for the VG33E instead. In that case, he will not have to replace any of the following:

- Transmission

- Transfer case

- ECU wiring

- Driveshaft

- Rear differential

- Front differential

- CV Axles

Right?

William

Hmm I didn't really word that right haha... sorry I was up all night and wasn't really in the right mind set. Well.... you've convinced me not to do the swap haha.. I don't have the money.... ... I'm gonna be straight up with you guys.. I'm kind of an idiot and I kind of need a guide to do the head gasket because even the mechanics where I live don't want to deal with it! I feel like I can do it, I just need to prepare myself , like getting all the tools together I need and parts. Could you guy sort of direct me in the way I want to go?

I appreciate it guys :)

well first of all strep 1 is to buy a manual. it has step by step guide in them. i use mine all the time. i jump on here for the easier ways and experience that the manuals cant guide you through

Buy a manuel if you wanna do the head gaskets.

The 4.3 swap isnt as hard as everyone is saying, but its geared more towards the hardcore crowd then the DD I need a/c people. Plus the parts for them are cheap and there very easy to work on compaired to vg's.

The 4.3 is still made and placed in full size trucks and vans, as it has been since 1985. Plus boats and heavy equipment.

But the head gasket is still simpler then the complete engine and tranny swap that the 4.3 would require. The manuel covers it completly but dont be afraid to ask if you have a question.

Wait.... you blew a head gasket on an engine that has 5 headbolts PER cylinder? (13 per head) Pics or it didnt happen.

I was thinking that too. On top of that, this is a low compression engine.

meh, 9:1 isn't THAT low.

hmm. I had this thought that they were 8:1. You're right though, several sites say so. I wonder why Wikipedia says the VG30ET had a 7.8:1, and was increased to 8.3:1 in 1988.

hmm. I had this thought that they were 8:1. You're right though, several sites say so. I wonder why Wikipedia says the VG30ET had a 7.8:1, and was increased to 8.3:1 in 1988.

Answered it with your own question. Its on wikipedia, 99 percent of the time it maybe right and the other 1% is incoherit babble.

Answered it with your own question. Its on wikipedia, 99 percent of the time it maybe right and the other 1% is incoherit babble.

I guess someone would go to the vg30et page of wikipedia and randomly type "7.8", "8.3" and "1988" for no reason whatsoever. I GUESS someone would make that up for their own self enjoyment.

Anyways...head gasket repair? Don't you just take the heads off, take off the old gasket, clean it up, and put a new gasket on?

The information is correct. VG30ET 7.8:1 VG30I/E 9:1. 8.3:1 increased the power by about 5HP for the '88 Z31T even though they ran a smaller Garrett T25 turbo instead of the better T3.

Edited by Kingman

Yeah. I noticed :(

It was for better driveability. Spooled faster with the smaller turbine and higher CR, made the stock 5-6PSI (down from 7PSI) fine. Downfall is they can't push as much as a T3 with a manual boost controller so other than a completely stock car they're worthless.

Anyways...head gasket repair? Don't you just take the heads off, take off the old gasket, clean it up, and put a new gasket on?

Yes, you would also want too check the deck and the trueness of the heads since half the time there warped. And since your doing the head gasket it would be a good time too replace the timing belt, cam seals, water pump and probly have the heads rebuilt.

If everything goes well, replacing head gaskets only needs to take a few hours. But as nismothunder points out, if you're going to take all that stuff apart, there is a lot of other work you should really be thinking about doing. Also, if anything gets stuck or broken it can easily turn into a much longer job.

Anyone know where I can find the manual to do it? Mechanics are quoting me 1500 :(

And I don't feel like I can handle taking the engine apart myself and reality is I'm not going to put 1500 into a car with a fskced frame no matter how much I love it.

Anyone know where I can find the manual to do it? Mechanics are quoting me 1500 :(

And I don't feel like I can handle taking the engine apart myself and reality is I'm not going to put 1500 into a car with a fskced frame no matter how much I love it.

Autoparts store or find the fsm on here or after the dealership...just curious how u know u blew the head gasket? Its not a difficult job to do but the intake is the biggest pita...while u r in there u may as well get a master engine gasket set and replace as many seals/gaskets as possible...replace timing belt, water pump, bypass hose, valve seals, tstat...etc u will spend close to $300 on parts and depending on what tools u have, u may need to spend 100-200 on tools...mainly a torque wrench...everyone will say to get new head bolts...I've never done it and rebuilt 2 top ends on these trucks and never had an issue...still not convinced they rone time use

Edited by unccpathfinder

Autoparts store or find the fsm on here or after the dealership...just curious how u know u blew the head gasket? Its not a difficult job to do but the intake is the biggest pita...while u r in there u may as well get a master engine gasket set and replace as many seals/gaskets as possible...replace timing belt, water pump, bypass hose, valve seals, tstat...etc u will spend close to $300 on parts and depending on what tools u have, u may need to spend 100-200 on tools...mainly a torque wrench...everyone will say to get new head bolts...I've never done it and rebuilt 2 top ends on these trucks and never had an issue...still not convinced they rone time use

Hmmm I'll give it a try .... better then selling my rig for scrap... Oh and the thing overheated and started pouring white smoke. It burns through a half a radiator tank in 30 mins O: And I took of the oil cap and its got some nasty peanut butter stuff in there.

Tool-wise I think I might be set except for a torque wrench. Ive got the usual dad garage stuff like socket sets wrenches screwdrivers... no power tools though, will that be a problem?

Just out of curiosity, with my skill level how long do you think this will take? And do these books cover timing belt waterpump ect. ?

Hmmm I'll give it a try .... better then selling my rig for scrap... Oh and the thing overheated and started pouring white smoke. It burns through a half a radiator tank in 30 mins O: And I took of the oil cap and its got some nasty peanut butter stuff in there.

Tool-wise I think I might be set except for a torque wrench. Ive got the usual dad garage stuff like socket sets wrenches screwdrivers... no power tools though, will that be a problem?

Just out of curiosity, with my skill level how long do you think this will take? And do these books cover timing belt waterpump ect. ?

A Nissan overheating? hmmm. I'm puzzled. If I didn't know better, I would also say you may have a problem with a head gasket.

Anyway, I'm sure you can do this job. I have confidence in you! Man, I hate "mechanics". Charging you $1500 for a head gasket replacement?

Really though, It's not that hard. You just have to make sure you know what you're doing and go slow. I know people say this, but it can't be said enough; mark your stuff. Mark where everything went. Mark every little screw, every little hose, everything. I'm currently having that problem. I have a WHOLE bunch of screws and hoses and wires and I have no idea where they go anymore.

I currently have my transmission out of my truck, and looking at the engine from where the transmission goes, it gives you a whole different perspective. I know it's 3 liters, but these engines are really small! It's amazing. I look at it, and everything seems so easy from that spot. It's a whole lot better than bending over your engine bay all day.

I don't really think heads would be that hard. Do you know which head gasket you blew, or both?

You will be fine without power tools. They will make the job a lot easier, but you can do just fine without them. The biggest problem with these types of jobs is space. You need dedicated space. It's getting colder so it would be a lot better for you if you had a heated garage or something.

Edited by 1994SEV6

OHC makes everything a PITA so 1500 doesnt sound that far out of the ball park to me. It doesnt matter what head gasket he blew, both need too be replaced.

The point of using power tools on a head gasket change is lost on me, theres really not anything you can use them on besides the exhaust studs.

A breaker bar is a must have, a rachet with a cheater pipe will work but it may kill the rachet if your trying too loosen head bolts since there usally on there pretty good.

...everyone will say to get new head bolts...I've never done it and rebuilt 2 top ends on these trucks and never had an issue...still not convinced they rone time use

x2, usally not needed unless one breaks while removing. Did a 3.8 toures and the head bolts were 200 bucks so needless to say they never were changed and the motor was still going strong 50k later when th car was finally junked.

And, weld your frame! Its not hard, it just seems like it is from what everyone else says. Hell, mine is mixed-and-maxed with flat 1/4" stock and 2x2 pipe. Has never bent or needed to me rewelded after countless jumps and fireroading at 80mph.