Airing down.

JamesRich

I was looking up how low to drop tire pressure for sand and found this article. Letting the Hot Air Out of Tire Talk

I need to find his article on street pressure because he claims to get 60k to 80k out of BFG T/As with the proper pressure. I agree with what he states but 7 to 8 psi is not much pressure, I would be worried about popping a bead off. Now I'm ready to go back to my hunting camp to try airing down for the sand.

What pressure do most of you guys run when you air down?

James

You CAN get some wild street mileage out of a properly aligned/properly aired BFG a/t ko, the "chalk line" test is a good way to find your street pressure (I don't have the process saved anywhere and am on my phone so I'll link one later if you don't find it first).

When we go out to the beach we usually air down to about 20 psi, as this is what all the signs recommend. It seems like you could probably do more than that, but as you said I'd be worried about breaking a bead. Better safe than sorry imo, especially being out away from everything.

Humm, Intersting article. I have done both when I am out wheeling. I had to learn how my rig reacts on different terrain. for the first couple of years, I never aired down. I attruibute this to having a locker and giving me traction when I needed it. Also, I have allowed myself to go after more and more difficult obstacles as I got more comfortable with my rig, and got it tuned to the stuff I normally go play in. Now that being said, I have never needed to air down in sand. I run a BFG M/T, and never saw the need for it. Of course, I am cautious about where I tread. I try to stay on hardpack, or at least make sure I have 4WD ready. I have seen many people get stuck and were able to air down some and get the tration they need.

As far as mud goes, I have just recently got more into airing down. I was very afraid of damaging a wheel or having the bead pop. Matter of fact, the one time I had a tree root go inbetween my wheel and tire, I was a full pressure. I was a bit confused how this happened. I approched that same area again(different outing), and I was aired down to 15 psi. I was able to position my rig better to miss the obstacle, due to better traction. I do not drive fast when aired down. I watch my tires as they conform to the object I am encountering(its cool to watch). As far as deep mud, well again, Im not sure if it was the tires or my locker helping me. OH, and I would probably not air down below 10psi unless I had beadlocks installed.

On the road, I stick with about 28psi. The sidewalls of my tires are stiff, so any loss of pressure is not immediatly noticed(say as with a street tire). My last set of BFG's lasted almost 70,000 miles(Installed around 115k, removed at 186k). I always check my tire wear and make sure nothing is out of whack(alignment, bearings, balljoints, ect).

Hope this helps.

A friend of mine had BFG AT KOs on his ZR2 S10 and got 81,000 miles out of them. He could have driven them for probably 10k more, but his wife didn't like sliding around in the deep snow. 99% of his mileage was on pavement.

25-28 is good for normal trail use. 20 or so in sand. 12-15psi for sand stucks, and only until you get unstuck (no sudden turns or heavy throttle). Any lower and you'll need beadlocks. I run my AT KOs at 40psi for pavement driving in summer, and 35psi in winter if snow is regularly expected. I've wheeled all over Colorado @ 35psi.

i air down to 15psi in the sand. me and buddy noticed that it puts a high pitch sound around 15psi but we dont drive slow and we do drive crazy and never popped a bead

im the same as silverton. 15psi for mud, 20psi if it's just a rough gravel road. Any less and i might damage a wheel. It also sucks when you get sand or dirt between the tire and rim which makes it leak.

This tire is @ 15 psi

38524_10150221139530427_803960426_13922629_3875561_n.jpg

Edited by nige

I run 12 PSI on the rocks / dirt trails & 10 PSI in fresh snow. I run them on the street at ~25PSI

When i was little, my dad used to get 60K+ out of a set of BFG All Terrain tires. but you need to balance and rotate every 3k and be very conscious of your street tire pressure.

Edited by SteeevO

There is no right or wrong answer to this problem, It matters on several things.

1. How fluffy the sand is

2. What type of tire

3. What type of wheel

4. The way you run the rig

5. The weight of the rig

Those are just a few I thought of really quick. To make this make more since on my dodge in the sand with its maxxis big horn tires I usually run them between 10-15 pounds mattering on the density of the sand. But with the swampers on the pathfinder I drop them to about 6 pounds, I have never lost a bead while doing sand. have lost beads a few times on trails though but that different. If you plan to run a set of tires at low pressure allot and do not have beadlocks I would suggest a bead of silicone to mate the rim to tire on both sides.

Like I said though there are so many variables there is no wright or wrong answer it is preference of the driver.

BoneZ: IMG_2679.jpg

:chairfall:

Like I said happens on trails but not on sand to me at least. I was not even running that low of pressure that day its that dam stump that jumped out in front of me and caught the bead just right.

Thanks for all the replys. I never aired down before because I'm new to wheeling. I have a locker and hankook M/Ts. I never got stuck yet but it took a lot of spinning to get out of some deep sand. A few mud holes required a lot of spinning to get out too that might not have if I had aired down. These hankooks are pretty soft so I might not have to go very low on the pressure to make them flex.

I guess the first thing I need to do is the chalk line test to make sure I'm not running too much pressure on the road. Then do the test from the article for rim hight. First thing I really need to do is buy a on board compressor.

James

First thing I really need to do is buy a on board compressor.

Excellent set up, execution and reasoning!! You may now go achieve on board air... :aok:

Seriously though, even dropping to a reasonably safe 20 psi will help a lot in any situation compared to the 28-35 that most people run with their 31x10.5s. I'm not an air down guru but this is a no brainer. Depending on how you are driving though (disclaimer)...

B

Excellent set up, execution and reasoning!! You may now go achieve on board air... :aok:

Seriously though, even dropping to a reasonably safe 20 psi will help a lot in any situation compared to the 28-35 that most people run with their 31x10.5s. I'm not an air down guru but this is a no brainer. Depending on how you are driving though (disclaimer)...

B

20 psi should at least give me a better ride. When you have 5 miles to go through the woods to your hunting spot you don't want to do it at 15 mph, so on the open trails I'll hit 45 sometimes and its rough as hell with 40 psi in the tires. No more jumping hills though or I'll end up with more than a broken spring!

James

I have gotten crazy with some stuff and have never lost a bead at 15psi.

As for the ride, going from 40 to 15psi makes pot holes in the road all but disappear! It's like riding on a cloud.

I have gotten crazy with some stuff and have never lost a bead at 15psi.

As for the ride, going from 40 to 15psi makes pot holes in the road all but disappear! It's like riding on a cloud.

Just don't turn fast lol

Ok now I'm looking for an air compressor! Searching online I see the master flow 1050 is pretty popular but on their site Q&A page they say the compressor isn't designed for filling a tank. What are you guys using? I'd like to buy this one Warn but it's too big and draws too much amps.

James

as for airing down. i usually run 15-17 wheelin in the snow adn deep nasty mud, and 17-20 in light mud or dirt depending on conditions. never lost a bead.

as for compressors, i've had my VIAIR 400P for 8 years and it runs like new. it is not onboard air as i was wheeling my jeep, mini me AND king at the same time.... i like portable, less hassel and you can air your friends up or take it with you in another vehicle.

Edited by Slick