sas kit anyone seen this?

Ya that site has been around for a few years. It was posted here a few years back. I vaguely remember some members on here looking into this further at one point, but, like a lot of other things that happen on the boards, no follow up posts and then it slowly died into the past. I can't recall any of the specifics but I think someone showed concerns that there was no Front Driveshaft shown in the pictures. I'll try to find it but no promises. I'm glad this was brought back to light though. It will be nice to get some more info on the specifics.

I did a search on doing a SAS last night on Google, mostly because I was hoping a guy's name (or truck's build thread) I met down here would come up, I lost contact with him and was trying to see if I could find the name of the shop that did his conversion. He had a frontier but I was curious on who did the job.

Was it a yellow frontier?

No it was black, I was reading on another forum and a lot of people mention to use the toyota front axle, maybe the one in the pic is a toyota axle, and why there is no front drive shaft as the pumpkin is on the wrong side ?

I believe the guys name is Gator?

Edited by ahardb0dy

contact Steve at rugged rocks offroad if you're truely interested in a SAS kit...His is close to being completed and tested...I'm patiently waiting for them to become available to be one of the first to test it...I would love to be able to get the diamond axle too but we will see

I checked out the rear 4 link in MOAB and it was bad ass

• 4 weeks later...

No it was black, I was reading on another forum and a lot of people mention to use the toyota front axle, maybe the one in the pic is a toyota axle, and why there is no front drive shaft as the pumpkin is on the wrong side ?

I believe the guys name is Gator?

Mike (Gator) used to be on 4x4parts.com regularly, I know he pops in on the NOAS board now and then too.

People have used the old toy front axles and flip it so the diff is on the driver side. you'll also need to get wheel spacers as the old toy axles are narrow as compared to the h233rd in the rear.

Gator actually is competing in petersons ultimate adventure. He had a radius arm setup but switched to a 3 link front, IIRC.

• 8 months later...

You have to be careful flipping an axle. If you screw the caster angle you wont be able to drive it(at least not at any speed). It is easier to find a drive side drop and go from there. also what you use your rig for will dictate what axle and setup to use ie. links, springs, linkswith coil over or coils and shocks. You really need to figure out what you want for an end result then plan, plan and plan some more. I have decided to do links, still undecided on coilovers or coils and shocks. I am picking my axle up in two days so look around here for that to start within the next month or so. Also, take into consideration your knowledge of doing this kind of work. Do you have tools/money/know how/ and a place to do this?

• 2 weeks later...

I've started my SAS...I haven't planned too much other than a couple brackets I'm cutting off for sure (leaving some that I may want to modify instead of cutting off completely) I have my axle which I have started disassembling so i can cut the putter C's and fix my caster angle once I determine my pinion angle...I have ruled out leafs and am probably doing a 5 link up front (some variation of JK, TJ or YJ) and plan to do the RROR 4 link kit in the rear but I'm on a 6-12 month plan to get 2wd working...I expect this SAS to cost about $4k by the time I'm all said ajd done including my rear springs, 4.88 gears, driveahafts etc so far I'm $200 in so far including gas to go get my axle and its got a of work to go

• 2 months later...

It's not to hard to flip toyota axle. It can be hard to get it right. If you do not have all the toyota parts laying around the garage I would suggest using the dana 44. It will be easier in the long run. I can send you pics if you want to see it. Actually I think the pics are already in a thread in SAS.

Now that RCV's, and Dana 50 gears can be installed (with a kit), the toy axle doesn't hold a candle to a Dana 44. A Dana 44 can honestly run 40's now....

The only weak link being premature ball joint wear. NAPA gold ball joints tend to last 3-4 years with very hard wheeling on 38's. The cheaper units last a season... maybe...