Whats This?

Reshma

'changes' the way the transmission shifts a little (guessing you mean the E-AT switch, not the power mirror or cruise switch). Little shaky with the camera there? :lol:

Overdrive is a term used to describe a mechanism that allows an automobile to cruise at sustained speed with reduced engine speed, leading to better fuel consumption, lower noise and lower wear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overdrive_(mechanics)

The output (driveshaft?) spins faster than the engine so the engine does less work.

I turn overdrive off when going up and down bridges, it provides more power going up and when going down I can just coast, maintaining my speed and not having to brake at the end of the bridge.

Edited by Towncivilian

Copy and pasted. This is what it is for. Google helped

When the Power light comes on(if applicable) the transmission control unit c if you floor it, as that would indicate a need for quicker acceleration. All it do on, it will shift like that all the time until you turn the switch off.

Edited by PathfinderIII

which one there are three switches in the pic ones for mirrors one is for the power/tow setting for the tranny, the last is kinda self explanitory actually all of them are

Not everyone is a super genius there man, yes he shoulda searched it but you might want to take into consideration that "E-AT/Power" doesn't scream "I change the transmissions shifting points!" to a less mechanically inclined.

Not everyone is a super genius there man, yes he shoulda searched it but you might want to take into consideration that "E-AT/Power" doesn't scream "I change the transmissions shifting points!" to a less mechanically inclined.

Thanks nunya. I figured all the others were pretty obvious. Mirrors. Cruise control. E-AT makes no sence whatsoever tho.

There is so much misinformation going around it's ridiculous.

Doesn't anyone have an owners manual??????????

In the older trucks it's on the shifter itself and actually locks out over drive and changes the shift points to a higher RPM to get it in to the, aptly named, power band.

In the newer trucks there is a separate Over Drive button on the shifter, along with the E-AT/POWER switch to the left of the steering wheel. Same function, but with a separate button to cancel OD, it WILL go in to overdrive with Power mode activated. Honestly, you'll get more life out of your transmission if you leave it in Power mode.

As for the light blinking on the E-AT/POWER switch, that means there is a transmission trouble code, kind of like the CEL. Check the FSM for how to read and diagnose the codes.

Edited by silverton

There is so much misinformation going around it's ridiculous.

Doesn't anyone have an owners manual??????????

In the older trucks it's on the shifter itself and actually locks out over drive and changes the shift points to a higher RPM to get it in to the, aptly named, power band.

In the newer trucks there is a separate Over Drive button on the shifter, along with the E-AT/POWER switch to the left of the steering wheel. Same function, but with a separate button to cancel OD, it WILL go in to overdrive with Power mode activated. Honestly, you'll get more life out of your transmission if you leave it in Power mode.

As for the light blinking on the E-AT/POWER switch, that means there is a transmission trouble code, kind of like the CEL. Check the FSM for how to read and diagnose the codes.

I echo Silverton here on all the above points, he is correct.

I would add that one other feature is that you can automatically shift it into power mode by double tapping the accelerator pedal twice quickly, real nice when merging onto the highway or changing lanes quickly and you need the power. (again read your owners manual!)

What does it mean if the light in the auto/power switch starts blinking?

If it blinks/ stays on it means your transmission is in trouble.

If it blinks when you turn the key too start it means theres something wrong. Kinda explaned it better there, if it blinks when you punch it, it means its engaging the Power mode, with out you hitting the button too engage it.

As far as it being in an owners manuel, yes, its on page 2-9 in my 93 manuel.

Edited by nismothunder

I echo Silverton here on all the above points, he is correct.

I would add that one other feature is that you can automatically shift it into power mode by double tapping the accelerator pedal twice quickly, real nice when merging onto the highway or changing lanes quickly and you need the power. (again read your owners manual!)

It will also trip Power mode if you floor it, there is a switch on the accelerator pedal. With the vehicle off, you can hear it click.

I was bazzled about this for YEARS with mothers Quest.. found out about 3 years ago..sure, its nice, but with our pathys' already horrible gas mileage..im sure this doesnt help. :P

but it is fun to use...

eh. pathy's just straight up get bad gas mileage. My truck gets the same gas mileage with or without O/D and regardless of power mode being on or off. the shifts are much firmer in power mode though, and that promotes longevity in our transmissions.