Omg! Aftermarket radio install

Nice186

Ok so I been trying to install my aftermarket radio for about hmm 2 months now:/ I bought the harness and even the amp interface wire. My aftermarket radio turns on and I can see everything but I can't hear anything?! I just really don't understand?! I already checked out the "how to do" thread but it's not helping. I even grounded the black wire to the metal on the side of the radio but it doesn't do anything?! Can someone please help me. I have a 94 pathfinder with old cables. Thank you

Let me add something, I took my center console out and I found out that I don't have a amp under the radio? But there is one in the back in the trunk. Maybe the other one is next to it? I can't tell cause it's dark in there. Also I have 8 speakers in my pathy. N yes I want to connect it to the factory amps I dont want to wire up the whole truck all over, that's the reason I bought the amp Interface wire. And also I will add aftermarket speakers but for now I just want the radio in. Thanks for the tip

Did you get the antenna adapter cable? Mine grounds through that to turn the deck on. For the amps you should be able to use the amp turn on wire from the deck and there should be a wire in the adapter harness for it to signal the amps to turn on.

Yes I do havethe antenna cable and all the wires are hooked up right I just don't kno why there isn't any sound? Is the amps getting power? How do I give it more power?

try this...take off your door panel and run some speaker wire from one channel right to that speaker and see if it works (or use a spare speaker if possible) that way you can see if your amps are blocking the sound to come out. I have also had a bad deck before especially if its a cheapy where the sound channels are messed up and i exchanged it for a new one and it worked fine. try a different radio and see if that one works.

To make the radio work the only wires that are really necessary is the sometimes the radio antenna, black, yellow, and red to get it to turn on then just pick a speaker channel and see if it works with a speaker connected directly to it so no stupid amps are in the way! Good luck hope that helps

IIRC, there is an amplifier fuse in the fuse box. It may be blown out/missing. (Did the old stereo work before you pulled it?)

Also, I have to ask... is the volume off on the radio? I only ask because that's the kind of herp derp I generally pull.

Mine has some speaker hiss when it's on but not playing (aux mode w/o iPod attached). If your speakers are hissing, the amp isn't getting signal. If they're totally dead, the amp isn't getting power.

The radio works I had it on my old car(Saturn) the speakers and amps do work cause I did put the old radio back to see if it blew and everything works I hear music playing with the old stock radio. I did read something in the "how to do" thread about wiring the amp to the battery to give it more power but what wire do I have to do that to? Which amp? Both? How would I go by this? I will try the single speaker test as edicer2 said. Thanks again guys

The radio works I had it on my old car(Saturn) the speakers and amps do work cause I did put the old radio back to see if it blew and everything works I hear music playing with the old stock radio. I did read something in the "how to do" thread about wiring the amp to the battery to give it more power but what wire do I have to do that to? Which amp? Both? How would I go by this? I will try the single speaker test as edicer2 said. Thanks again guys

All I can think of is that you've got a bad harness to your new stereo, or the stereo itself is screwy. While direct-wiring your amp may not be a bad idea, doesn't sound like that's the problem.

Definitely do the speaker test... if it fails, sounds like your new stereo is a paperweight.

Just curious, what kind of stereo? I put an xplod in mine, no issues.

I have two one is a pioneer with a 7" LCD avh-p6400cd (the one I'm trying to install) and my second is a spare alpine deck CDA-9855 and it can't be a bad harness cause I bought 2 by mistake and switch them to see if it was. But how would I go by direct-wiring the amp with the battery? What gauge should I use and like I said before should I do both amps? Thanks

Slartibartfast what steps did u go thu to install ur radio? Is it powered but the stock amps? Did u mount the black wire(12v)? Where?

I'm going to guess that your factory amps are NOT getting power.

You have to wire in the factory amp wire and not just connect it to the amp for your subwoofer.

I would put money on it that this is your problem. You NEED to wire in the factory amp power signal to your after market deck.

But how would I go by direct-wiring the amp with the battery?

This is pointless. Your radio gets plenty of power already ESPECIALLY if you want to use the factory amps.

Your harness is wired incorrectly. It's not as simple as connecting like to like. You need to splice the amp turn on lead (or ant on depending) to the turn on lead for the factory speaker amp. That simple, VERY common mistake to make when installing a stereo in a Pathy.

EDIT: Haven't had a WD21 in a coon's age but the diagram says it should be the purple wire. (it says 'P' not sure what else that would be.)

Edited by MrT

This is pointless. Your radio gets plenty of power already ESPECIALLY if you want to use the factory amps.

Your harness is wired incorrectly. It's not as simple as connecting like to like. You need to splice the amp turn on lead (or ant on depending) to the turn on lead for the factory speaker amp. That simple, VERY common mistake to make when installing a stereo in a Pathy.

EDIT: Haven't had a WD21 in a coon's age but the diagram says it should be the purple wire. (it says 'P' not sure what else that would be.)

i have never had to splice any wires on either of my 2 wd21s to make the sound work... All i have ever used was the cheap walmart wire harness adapter, cheap antenna adapter. For the wd21 if you are installing a single din deck your dont even need the dash kit. For wiring you just read the box that came with the cheap wire harness and match what the wire does with the same wire on the deck (according to the decks book not the color). Sometimes the colors are different so you need to read what each color is for each harness and connect the matching ones. It works first try every time. I know on mine I have been lucky and the colors just matched up but for some they dont so you need to read and make sure they are correct. No splicing is necessary it should work just fine if you wired it correctly. Make sure you didnt have a silly mistake and hook the dimmer wire with the remote wire or something.

All I can think of is that you've got a bad harness to your new stereo, or the stereo itself is screwy. While direct-wiring your amp may not be a bad idea, doesn't sound like that's the problem.

Definitely do the speaker test... if it fails, sounds like your new stereo is a paperweight.

Just curious, what kind of stereo? I put an xplod in mine, no issues.

x2 dont rewire stuff straight to the battery it will drain the battry and possibly fry the amps completely. Try a different deck someone has laying around....if anything go to walmart or w/e and buy a cheap deck and try it and if it works or not you can bring it back and say it didnt work. That will help you know if yours if messed up or if your wiring is.

I'm going to guess that your factory amps are NOT getting power.

You have to wire in the factory amp wire and not just connect it to the amp for your subwoofer.

I would put money on it that this is your problem. You NEED to wire in the factory amp power signal to your after market deck.

Which wire would this be on the aftermarket radio? And which one would this be on the amp? Since the amp is in the back of the truck dont I need to add more wire? Should I do this for both amps? Anyone have a step by step for me? Thanks

Ok I will double check my wires and see if it's all connected right. I was wondering is there a special wire that needs to be hooked up to the amp? Or it doesn't need it? Like how MrT said?

ok im checking my wires and i do have one wire that is not connected to anything, its the amp turn on 12v wire. does this need to be wired? there arent any more wires free to connect it to? or do i just connect it with the power antenna wire? also i do see that i have 2 black(ground) wires coming out from the harness so i connected the two black wires to the one black wire that comes out from the aftermarket radio(just want to make sure did anyone need to direct bolt this in the metal on the side of the radio?)thanks

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :omg: ok for anyone else that had this problem the way to get the amp to work is to connect the power antenna AND amp turn on wire. they are BOTH blue and one has a white line. THIS got my sound to start working. OMG!!!! IM SOOO HAPPY :jig: ! THANK YOU GUYS SOOO MUCH. :wub: you guys were a real help! THANK YOU!!!! :beer::bounce::friday::fireworx:

Edited by Nice186

depending on the deck... if you connect the trucks factory amp turn on wire, to the decks power antenna wire, you may only have sound on "radio" as some decks will cut power to the antenna when switching to CD or an AUX input signal. I have fun in to this problem in the past.

I don't know anything about car stereos, but don't the decks always have built in amps? Or do you guys just need more power? I'm just really glad my speakers are directly wired to the stereo...