$5 re-key bet.

Reshma

So guys. Need some help. $5 dollar bet with dad.

I have hear you can take a lock (say from a passenger side door) from another pathfinder. And Re-Key it. (ithink thats the term) so it fits your key instead of the hey it was made to fit. I have read of people doing it. Im pretty sure it can be done. But the only way i can earn my $5 and some more repect is if i have some hard evidence. Help me out guys. Anything flies. Websites, articles, people who have done it, anything. Also if you have done it would you be willing to talk to him and testify on my behalf? PLZ GUYZ and gals. HELPZ ME OUTTT

im not sure but i know you can get new tumbler pins,. my coworker re-did a ignition cyclinder 2 weeks ago had different pins and had to put them in a specific order not sure about that but i did find this for regular locks

http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/household-safety/security/lock-picking4.htm

Edited by ANDY

it depends on the keying. IF the parts between locks are compatable, you can resequence them to match. You can also file down the parts to make them match but you would need to cut your own key.

MANY TIMES;

I have taken a new or used pathfinder lock cyl to a locksmith to have it re-set to my existing key.

They can do this with Lock Cyls, Ignitions, door locks and even traditonal master locks.

Its not normally done on the traditional locks becuase its cheaper to buy new matching ones.

But for car, keys and house keys It is cheaper to just re-key one lock insead of buying all new.

Sure some locks look like they don't come apart but Lock shops have lock presses and crimp tools like they used on my pathfinder locks.

Some locks take master keys that are the same as normal keys but 2 tublers longer that allow you to turn the key further and dissaseble the entire lock form the use of such key.....

I could go on... Don't ask why I know so much about locks.

I just got done re-keying the glove box lock I picked up at junkyard Yesterday, just pulled all the wafers out and put one in at a time until my key when inserted would allow the wafers to sit flush with the lock housing. To prove it worked (besides my key being able to turn it) I put the original key back in and it won't open it. The door lock cylinders can probably be done as long as you can get the wafers out with out destroying the lock casing. I know on my sentra's trunk lock it appears to get the wafers out you would have to cut away a piece of the lock casing.

Oh, I'm not a lock smith I am just good at looking at things and being able to figure out how they work, I also like picking locks for fun!!

Edited by ahardb0dy

that's how I did the glove box lock, except you don't have to take the casing apart, just remove it from the plastic latch. In the glove box lock there is room for I believe it was 8 wafers but they only use four, there were four wafers in the first 4 slots, I ended up skipping one slot as I didn't have the right wafer to fit the key so I moved the one wafer further back until my key would fit.

A locksmith can also make a key for a lock that you bring into them, that's what I did on my 94 PF, the original owner changed the ignition cylinder for what ever reason and my buddy I bought the PF from only had the ignition key, so I pulled the pass. side door lock and the local locksmith made a key to fit it, than I spent about an hour cleaning the drivers side lock out until the new key would turn in it, same with the one on the rear hatch, they both were loaded with dirt and grease.

Good site, now I know how the door cylinders come apart, kinda figured that was how they did already.

I could go on... Don't ask why I know so much about locks.

LOL... and I wasn't always a cop. Some skills are good to have... just in case of emergency, right?

Edited by k9sar

I just swapped the pins on the drivers door lock with 1 from a JY a few weeks ago when the part that the little arm attaches to broke off.

Also when I was still working in the Dealerships we'd get the locks recoded on the theft recovery's, Ign or doorlocks it didn't make any difference to the locksmith he;d do any of them

Just 5 minutes ago I finished re-keying a Sentra door lock to fit my pathfinder key, next junk yard trip I'm going to grab a few lock cylinders and re-key them to fit my Ignition key than swap them into my doors. Right now I have a separate key for the ignition and the doors, would be nice to have one key for all the locks.

Oh, installed the glove box latch/lock that I re-keyed last night, works perfectly!

Anyone have any idea how many different wafers there are for these locks? So far in taking 3 apart I have found 3 different ones.

Just 5 minutes ago I finished re-keying a Sentra door lock to fit my pathfinder key, next junk yard trip I'm going to grab a few lock cylinders and re-key them to fit my Ignition key than swap them into my doors. Right now I have a separate key for the ignition and the doors, would be nice to have one key for all the locks.

Oh, installed the glove box latch/lock that I re-keyed last night, works perfectly!

Anyone have any idea how many different wafers there are for these locks? So far in taking 3 apart I have found 3 different ones.

You should rekey all the senta locks to the pathfinder key. That would be cool to have one key for both vehicles. I did something similar years ago. I had an 86 ford ranger and an 80 thunderbird. I cut one side of the key for the thunderbird and the other side of the key for the ranger. So one set of keys worked for both vehicles. This might work for a nissan too, the lock only uses one side of the key.

James

GOOD IDEA !!! probably going to the junk yard Saturday to grab a couple dozen lock cylinders, only thing that will give me a problem is getting that outer cover off. The 2 I took apart yesterday I had to use a cutting pliers to remove the outer piece and basically ruined them. I saw how the guy did it on that web site saying to use a screwdriver but none of the one's I had worked. Still want to know how many different wafers there are, on that site he shows four but don't know if that is all there is.

Any idea where to buy wafers or outer covers?

Math time ( I hate math!!), if the cylinder has 8 wafers and their are only 4 different ones, how many possible key combinations would there be?

do you figure that by multiplying 8 x 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 40,320 ???

or ??

Any idea where to buy wafers or outer covers?

Math time ( I hate math!!), if the cylinder has 8 wafers and their are only 4 different ones, how many possible key combinations would there be?

do you figure that by multiplying 8 x 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 40,320 ???

or ??

i was thinking more like 8 x 4. from what i understood. i have no idea what a wafer is.

i think its. 8x4 cuz there r 8 of them and for each u have a choice of 4 from the different types u mention. theretore.

wafer 1= 4 possibilities.

wafer 2= 4 possibilities.

and so on.

Thats how i got it. idk if its right tho. (i highly doubt im correct.)

Edited by PathfinderIII

It would be 4^8= 65,536 combinations. But i'm sure some are not used as in, all 8 positions with the same wafer, so it would be less.

The 8*7*6.... is the number of combinations you can have with 8 distinct objects.

Edited by NavyP503

It would be 4^8= 65,536 combinations. But i'm sure some are not used as in, all 8 positions with the same wafer, so it would be less.

The 8*7*6.... is the number of combinations you can have with 8 distinct objects.

I doubt any of the locks would use all the same wafer, but was just trying to figure out the possible number of combinations. I found a tool online that is made to remove the outer caps one site it was like $60 the second site had no price, probably could find a plier that would work similar, here is a pic of it:

2zfv0o2.jpg

I doubt any of the locks would use all the same wafer, but was just trying to figure out the possible number of combinations. I found a tool online that is made to remove the outer caps one site it was like $60 the second site had no price, probably could find a plier that would work similar, here is a pic of it:

2zfv0o2.jpg

if they used all the same wafer a first timer could pick that lock in 30 seconds or less.

BTW...

my motorcycle, and BOTH my pathfinders All Run on the same key.Motorcycle_Smiley.gif

I wish I could do that, but my bike is a suzuki, and my titan uses that expensive key with the electronics. Cost to much to play with. My bike ignition is on the side under the seat, couldn't have a wad of keys hanging there or it would scratch up the covers.

James

Was thinking of what you said about re-keying my sentra to match the pathfinder than had a thought, what about the ignition? Can it be re-keyed the same way the door lock is done? Anyone know how to take the ignition cylinder apart??

It's been a long time, but if I remember correctly the locksmith had replacement covers.

If your careful you can get them off without damaging them, just go slow and be careful