$5 re-key bet.

Reshma

Was thinking of what you said about re-keying my sentra to match the pathfinder than had a thought, what about the ignition? Can it be re-keyed the same way the door lock is done? Anyone know how to take the ignition cylinder apart??

They can do this with Lock Cyls, Ignitions, door locks and even traditonal master locks.

Its not normally done on the traditional locks becuase its cheaper to buy new matching ones.

As a matter of fact, my friend is getting his ignition re-keyed next week for 40 bucks.

If the ignition cylinder is the same as the door I'll do it myself. Will have to take one apart at the junkyard first so I don't ruin mine. Was going to stop at the local locksmith to see about the replacement covers in case I damage any of the ones I have, plan on pulling a few out of the junkyard PF's

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so today on the junkyards last 50% off everything sale, went and got a bunch of lock cylinders. Actually I got the all the lock cylinders from 2 pathfinders, could not figure out how to get the ignition cylinder out with out destroying the housing), got both doors and the hatch, 3rd pathfinder got all but the ignition, also got 2 door cylinders out of sentra's and 2 trunk cylinders out of 2 different sentra's. In total 15 lock cylinders, a door mirror glass ( for my sentra) and a wiring plug for my friends F-150, grand total was $2 to get in $5 for the parts. Of course I only paid for the glass and 2 lock cylinders!! LOL Honest I forgot about the other 13 in my tool box!! That's my story and I'm sticking to it !!!

I took a few of the cylinders apart, cleaned all the springs and wafers and lock housings really good and re-did a ignition and 2 door cylinders to work with my PF's ignition key. Just have to find out about getting new outer chrome covers as I still can not remove them with out killing them.

My question out of all this is, is it possible to pull the ignition lock cylinder with out destroying the housing??? I read somewhere about pushing some pins in, and I did see 2 brass pins but pushing them in seems to make the cylinder stay in better. So anyone have any info on removing the ignition cylinders with out damaging the outer housing? Web sites or links??

Today I spoke to a local locksmith who told me it is possible to remove the ignition lock cylinder as long as you have the key that fits the lock which of course I do have. I searched online and can not find any info pertaining to Nissan ignition cylinder removal.

Thanks All.

Edited by ahardb0dy

The way I did i twas with a moto dremal tool, I'd cut a slot in the head of the mounting screws then use a flat blade screwdriver to take the screws out.

If you just want the lock itself you have to have the ign key, if I remember turn it to acc and there is a pinyou have to push in to unlatch the lock, then just pull out the key and tumblers.

Your lucky they always check my toolbox, but I do wear cargo pants which have been known to have small parts fall in them. And That's my story and I'm sticking to it !!!

Edited by vagabond

I have one of those Stanley plastic tool boxes, the black one with the 2 little yellow compartments on the top, I honestly forgot that in the one compartment there were 6 locks, the other 7 were neatly inside a white paper towel situated so that if they asked me to lift the towels up they would come out with the towels, they accidentally were in the towels that way, miracle how they got like that !!!

Thanks on the tip to remove the lock cylinder, that is all I want to remove. I don't need to remove the ignition lock cylinder in the PF as I am re-keying the doors and hatch locks to match the ignition key. But if I do my sentra I will need to re-key the ignition lock. Will have to take the covers off to see if I can see the pin that needs to be pushed in, thanks for the reply I haven't been able to find any info on this online in the last 2 days of looking.

Your lucky they always check my toolbox, but I do wear cargo pants which have been known to have small parts fall in them. And That's my story and I'm sticking to it !!!

I use a tool bag I got from lowes with lots of pockets. The bag folds when I set it down and they would have to stick their hand in the pockets to check it and none of them give a crap enough to do that. Also I chat and joke with them alot so they know me and trust me so they usually don't bother checking the bag anyway. They might not check it just to get rid of me faster so I will shut up, but hey it works! I've done the cargo pants too.

James

Pulled the covers off the steering column before and with the ignition in the ACC position I did not see a pin that I can push in to remove the cylinder, anyone help out??

Thanks

Pulled the covers off the steering column before and with the ignition in the ACC position I did not see a pin that I can push in to remove the cylinder, anyone help out??

Thanks

We're on kind of a mini vacation, when we get back I'll pull the cover and takes some pics, we should be back by wednesday

never mind, I picked up an ignition from the junkyard so I wouldn't ruin mine and figured it out, had to go to a lock picking forum to get the info, thanks anyway

From what I can tell, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The 2 brass pins have to be removed/drilled out. the cover with the lock, acc, run. start, slides off then the tumbler assembly can slide out.

Sorry for getting back on this so late but we were having fun in Vegas and Laughlin :lol: :lol:

No problem, yes that is correct, this applies to the ignition in my Sentra only as I didn't try this on the pathfinder ignition, I drilled a small hole next to the brass pin than using a scribe was able to pry out the brass pins, the front face part of the lock cylinder than was able to be pulled out, the assembly than separates into a few parts, the front part with the "acc,start,run" than the rear part that engages the electrical switch on the back of the ignition switch, and the actual lock tumbler, there also is the lever that has the button you press to remove the key, and another lever that I don't know what it's purpose is for yet.

Ok update, I got the ignition apart and re-keyed that I got from the car at the junkyard, swapped it with mine today works perfect, also re-keyed the trunk lock and 2 of the door locks I also got from junkyard and installed them in the car, so now the whole car is keyed to accept my pathfinder key. Next is to rekey 2 more door locks and the rear hatch for the pathfinder so I will have one key that works all the locks on the PF. Than as you guys suggested I will have one key that fits both of my Nissans.

As far as taking the ignition apart with the 2 brass pins, if it took me 2 minutes it was a long time. I posted pics in the off topic section under "anatomy of a Nissan ignition lock"

• 2 weeks later...

Final update, got the new lock face caps today, finished re-keying the door and hatch locks on the PF, so now both vehicles use the same key for all locks and ignitions!, Nice not having multiple keys on each key chain for 2 vehicles !!

Final update, got the new lock face caps today, finished re-keying the door and hatch locks on the PF, so now both vehicles use the same key for all locks and ignitions!, Nice not having multiple keys on each key chain for 2 vehicles !!

Now you have to keep the pathy.

James

Thats pretty sweet. I wish I had enough motivation to do something similar, but my other car isn't a Nissan. I also wish I could have one key for the ski rack, spare tire padlock and "Club." But they all use different cylinders too. I guess a worldwide standard for lock keys wouldn't be the best idea...