Gas Tank Leak?

Filled up my pathfinder completely 2 days ago. I had the front end on jacks afterwards for some underbody work, so the front end was sitting slightly higher than usual. Noticed some gas leaking out through the holes in the metal plate that protects the tank, which is just in front of the rear bumper. Put some cardboard down and it leaked through the night, maybe 5 liters/1 gallon. It isn't really leaking now.

Before I dig in there, has anyone experienced this before? Know what I may be facing?

Thanks

pull the rear carpet and the acess panel for the float assembly/fuel pump and check there and check your filler/vent tubes.

Also check the o ring between the top of the gas pump and the gas tank. Heres a hint dont use silicon to replace that o ring. It makes if verrrry hard to get back out again when you need to replace your fuel pumpt.

Filled up my pathfinder completely 2 days ago. I had the front end on jacks afterwards for some underbody work, so the front end was sitting slightly higher than usual. Noticed some gas leaking out through the holes in the metal plate that protects the tank, which is just in front of the rear bumper. Put some cardboard down and it leaked through the night, maybe 5 liters/1 gallon. It isn't really leaking now.

Before I dig in there, has anyone experienced this before? Know what I may be facing?

Thanks

Pull the shield from under the tank theirs a few bolts to take out....and see if your tank is rotting :shrug:

I doubt it the o-ring because you would smell gas like a mofo

Same thing happened to me last month. I checked the access panel first and all was good. Then I pulled the tank guard off & discovered my tank was leaking at the bottom. It seems that the spot welds on the bottom of the tank had weakened and it was leaking from there. Some gas tank repair putty (~ 5.00) and the leak was gone.

My 87 hardbody had a leak in the gas tank way back, actually was a hole as I went 4 wheeling one day and the short Rancho add a leaf that I had in the rear spring pack broke in half, the rear half must have hit the tank when it fell out, I used that gas tank putty to fix the hole and never had a problem with it again.

Turns out it is leaking at the seam where the top and bottom of the tank come together. My mechanic, who I really trust, says it would best to just replace it; I pay for the part and he let's me help him install it, no labor charge. By the way, it is extremely rusted and if I patch the seam there's no guarantee it won't leak elsewhere soon, that's why I'm going with the new tank.

You're right adamzan I just checked the price and it's about 230 at partsouce up here in Canuckville..

I just found a leak in my tank too after I filled it up $1.37 a litre (Gas bastards!!)

I'm gonna drop my tank this weekend and see if it's worth repairing or getting a new one.(I'm a cheap bastard)

Edited by Kingsizerob

I hope you used the discount code found in the Classifieds/Vendor section...

B

Thanks for pointng out the discount, Precise.

I had already placed the order before reading this comment so I missed out on the discount. However, sent one email to Rockauto's customer service explaining this and they immediately gave me the discount.

Great customer service!