what is the best and affordable tow strap

bro_die

I dont know if this has been covered before or not but I tried searching and nothing came up.

My two strap gave up on me today and im in the market for a new one. What tow strap do you guys think

that will last will all the towing and stretching that it will encounter. I just want something

with the best bang for the buck here so I wont go out looking for another one in the next couple of months.

What are your procedures when towing another car or truck that's stuck.

4 wheel parts

Smittybilts are usually pretty cheap and if you watch they sometimes go on sale and/or have free shipping weekends

these?

HF 2"x20' strap

:hide:

yeah those HF ones, but i got them for 15 bucks on sale, oh i got this 3x20 one from kragens but paid 50 bucks and i let some knobber use it and he tore it so i use the HF now but the expensive one was a good strap

make friends with your local crane operator ;) they always have lots of old extra slings and straps that are overkill for anything we would use them for. I have 4 or 5 of them in the basement, my friend gives me a couple new ones every year! They don't pass safety (too old, etc.) for commercial crane use, but they are usually in great shape for trail use

Thanks all for the reply. I think ill try my luck here first because where I live

the shipping will cost me an arm if not a leg too. I had a one that was pretty good but

we towed something this weekend and it was torn up after we were done because whatever

I was dragging the strap wrapped around and was being dragged on the ground.

x2 on the 4wheelparts but wait until there is a sale. Several years back they had the ProComp 3"x30' 30,000lb strap on sale for $20 so I bought 3 or 4 of them...

I wouldn't go near the HF ones, they are only rated at 6000lbs and that is only adequate for an ATV, not a SUV!!

B

I wouldn't go near the HF ones, they are only rated at 6000lbs and that is only adequate for an ATV, not a SUV!!

B

People tend to forget that although their truck only weighs 'x ammount' that there is added force from the actual pull plus all that is added when a vechile is actually stuck and the extra needed to break it free. Save that HF one for lookin cool at the mall with it wrapped around your tow hooks

US Cargo Control

Its a good place to get binders, hooks, chains, and shackles without the Winch company brand name markup.

I have one of their 4X30 straps that I found at a swap meet and only paid $10.00 for it WHOOHOO.

We used the hell out of when we were down in San Quintin Baja

towing people out of the dunes.

Edited by vagabond

I've used the HF 2"x20' strap numerous times without problem. The hooks aren't really that great, but it's better than nothing. It even held up when I had to get a run and jerk someone out of the snow.

DO NOT USE TOW STRAPS WITH HOOKS ON THE END

if/when they come loose, its a loaded rocket.

How would I use a tow rope without hooks if my factory tow points are closed loops?

shackle, D ring, clevis, etc, depending on where you are from, they call them different thigns.. they don't pop off at funny angles.

most upgraded tow points are weld on D rings.

I'm telling you IF you have full well on or bolt on D rings, get a strap and shackle.

If you have a hook, get a regualr tow strap WITHOUT metal on the ends.

pulling people around is a way of life for me. (i'm a pretty hard core wheeler)

I would never, nor would i let anybody, hook a metal ended strap to anybody or thing near me.

they are dangerous

Please head this advice.

• Like 1

make friends with your local crane operator ;) they always have lots of old extra slings and straps that are overkill for anything we would use them for. I have 4 or 5 of them in the basement, my friend gives me a couple new ones every year! They don't pass safety (too old, etc.) for commercial crane use, but they are usually in great shape for trail use

this. I am a crane operator and have a few lifting slings for this. I will never break them because they're rated at (approx) 13,000 lbs on a single bridle hitch (straight attachment not doubled up) but a double bridle hitch is good for double that :crossedwires:

Edited by aranay

most upgraded tow points are weld on D rings.

I'm telling you IF you have full well on or bolt on D rings, get a strap and shackle.

If you have a hook, get a regualr tow strap WITHOUT metal on the ends.

pulling people around is a way of life for me. (i'm a pretty hard core wheeler)

I would never, nor would i let anybody, hook a metal ended strap to anybody or thing near me.

they are dangerous

Please head this advice.

I've got a nice dent on the front of the hood on my 88 because I didn't heed the above. I was lucky it could have been the windshield

I've got a nice dent on the front of the hood on my 88 because I didn't heed the above. I was lucky it could have been the windshield

i've seen them go THROUGH windshield and break the rear.

lucky your hear to tell the story.

Neither truck had recovery points with d-rings so the hooks were the only option. I put a heavy blanket on the strap just in case something let loose. Since I now have proper recovery points and gear I won't be using that hooked strap any more. I don't know if the blanket would really save your bacon, but it's a common practice with straps and winches. Sometimes you just have to use what is available.

I just use a Marine/Boat Rope.... those are round, thick as in around the 1-1 1/2 in diam. and are used to pull/tie up boats at the docks. I've used it numerous amounts of times, to pull cars and trucks the size of my PF and it has never torn or anything the 8 yrs i've had it.