Headlight washers

lint

So.... I was wondering about rigging up some sort of washer / &/ or/ wiping system with JY parts for the headlights since I drive a lot on crappy roads @ night. I am thinking about lines running off the wiper fluid lines and with a couple of inline pumps to act as a high-pressure wash. Anyone done this yet, or am I gonna have to write up my first "how to"?

Yeah, I could but...500 km between fuel stops...110 km/hr....lots of 18 wheelers....2 lane highway....= I don't like to pull over to wipe 'em down....

Adamzan is right. The terrano I had in Japan had an extra washer fluid tank, pump and lines. The jets were the same ones used to wash windshield. It was pretty neat. Shouldn't be too hard to add a pump and lines whatnot.

I believe these came stock on the jdm pathfinders/terrano. Maybe i'm wrong but I thought they did!

Correct

All mine have had them, the thing is the pump. The motor for them is the same motor used for the wipers themselves :aok:

Loads of pressure.

You might be able to see the nozzles on top of my bumper.

DSC01910.jpg

Here's the second bottle, hope you can see the motor.

-motor.jpg

That is cool! Maybe one day, much farther in the future, I'll get that second washer bottle shipped to Canada. :tongue: I like that idea.

*edit*

Scratch that... just remembered you guys are right hand drive, You guys still have the washer bottles, air filter, charcoal canaster, etc, on the left side. Since you guys have the brake system the right side it frees up real estate for the bottle. That particular spot isn't gonna work on out models.

But.... curious. They came factory so the wiring for them is in all harnesses?

Edited by Dowser

Was I going to keep my eyes open for one to send you? Just got a funny feeling we talked about this before.

IIRC there should be a third plug with the window washer wiring, that could be it.

The switch is in the centre, where the hazard switch is.... Might be a spare plug in behind.

I think I've got a spare switch :lol:

So they just opened up a Princess Auto in this here town; now I can see if they have inline pumps and nozzles.

Why have 2 washer jugs? I'm thinking about installing an additional washer line into the existing reservoir and running the pump off a switch in the cabin.

BTW TerranoNZ, thanks for the pics- they helped!!!

So they just opened up a Princess Auto in this here town; now I can see if they have inline pumps and nozzles.

Why have 2 washer jugs? I'm thinking about installing an additional washer line into the existing reservoir and running the pump off a switch in the cabin.

BTW TerranoNZ, thanks for the pics- they helped!!!

2 reservoirs so that the huge pump on the headlight doesn't empty the thing and leave you with no way to wash your window.... I guess.

Just found a spare factory switch, 7 damn wires :blink:

Same here. That's a really cool option. If you happen to come across another system, please keep an eye open for me too. I'd love to do this mod. I'm guessing I could find a place to put that reservoir and it would be nice to take that empty switch spot on the dash out and put something that actually has a function there. I had no idea these even existed on our rigs till now. Man..... just and other example of how you guys have superior models then us in North America. Diesels, Wide fender flares, headlight washers, Factory inclinometer mounts for 94-95 dashes, this list keeps growing. :rant2:

Edited by Dowser

lol :tongue:

It's a Canadian thing

Hardly, although it is nice to have up here. ;)

BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, etc. have had this as factory equipment for many years on their vehicles; very common on European vehicles. My E38 has 'em and I love it, especially nice when it's rainy and all the dust and muck from the roads get all over the headlights.

The BMW system uses high-pressure jets where Mercedes-Benz uses that and sometimes implements mini-wipers. Either of these would work well on a Pathfinder.

Do keep us posted on your progress. :aok: