Waggy Auto Hubs Vs Manual Locking Hubs?

BIGFINDERMAN

sup guys. whats the pros and cons using the auto hubs versus doing a manual locking hub conversion? im running dana 44's out of a 88 wagoneer. some people have said that the auto hubs are pretty stout? any info would be great. thanks

More than a few threads on automatic hubs. Here are a two that turned up when I used the search function and typed in "automatic hubs"

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=26851

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=28829&view=findpost&p=550136 (starting on that post)

Only real good thing about automatic hubs is that they save you time, as you don't have to get out and turn them on/off like you do for manual hubs. But that is about it. Do a search on google and the main opinion is that they work, but will generally let you down when you really need them, and are no where as strong as manual hubs. Some people who have wheeled with them for years, so they really know how well they act, but you really have to think when using them or else you will be spinning tires a lot with unlocked hubs. If you read in the threads there were several posts on how they work and how you can very easily "unlock" them when you don't want to.

If you decide to go with the autos, please make sure to post about it after using them for a while. Would be interested to see how they fare for you.

thanks for the info. im sorry i didnt use the search button guys. got stuck on stupid for a minute. i will probably go ahead and get the warn premium hubs. i just had some guys say the drive flanges were pretty stout. i plan on driving the pathy on the road quite a bit, so i sont want any added strain on the driveline. thanks again

Just to clarify, the autolocking hubs are on the WD21s and are generally not recommended for hard wheeling.

i just had some guys say the drive flanges were pretty stout.

These are found on the R50's and yes, they seem fairly stout. I removed a set from my wife's 99.0 R50 to install Mile Marker manual hubs.

So the splines are the same size and count on your Dana 44?? :scratchhead:

B

Just to clarify, the autolocking hubs are on the WD21s and are generally not recommended for hard wheeling.

These are found on the R50's and yes, they seem fairly stout. I removed a set from my wife's 99.0 R50 to install Mile Marker manual hubs.

So the splines are the same size and count on your Dana 44?? :scratchhead:

B

Not sure i really understand you bud. Im not using the factory nissan auto hubs. I was asking how strong the factory jeep dana 44 front hubs were without converting to manual hubs.

For the record Just about anybodys Auto Hubs are stronger than the Pathfinder Auto Hubs.

I know nothing of the Jeep autos but seen many of them on lifted cherokees and wagoneers (as in not been replaced with manuals) so I would guess they are pretty good.

Manuals will still always be stonger Just due to the design and the greater amount of contact area inside the hub.

Strength asside, 2 nice things about manuals are if you have a traction device up front you can choose to only lock one side to reduce understeer issues in snowy or icy roads and you don't have to feel that slam when they engage on a lose climb.

• Like 1

I like knowing for sure that my hubs are locked. There's no guessing when you physically twist the dial to "Locked"... "Yep. It's locked."

Getting out and skating around the front end of the truck on an icy KY road in peak-time traffic kinda sucks though.

'Course there is some satisfaction in leaving a group of angry, shouting sedan-drivers spinning in place while I cruise away in 4L. WAVEY

Not sure i really understand you bud. Im not using the factory nissan auto hubs. I was asking how strong the factory jeep dana 44 front hubs were without converting to manual hubs.

Got it now, sorry about that. 1/2 failing reading comprehension and 1/2 as Nunya said, confused by the other links.

Jeep hubs, I haven't the slightest idea. This is NPORA, not JORA... :D

Makes sense what MY1PATH says though.

B

This is NPORA, not JORA... :D

:rofl:

I like my auto hubs, they work. When they stop working, I'll do a manual conversion. Though the main disadvantage to the manual hubs is that they will seize up in one position if you don't keep switching them between locked and unlocked.

• 1 month later...

Obviously there are some downsides to autos with engagement delay and stuff, but I figure that since I haven't broken them yet, I might as well keep on using them until (if) they break and then replace them with manuals. Presumably when you guys say they break, it is a catastrophic thing where the brake plates bust or something and they don't work anymore right?

I have'nt seen one on a Pathy break yet as they are rated for the tires and wheels they come stock with and I upgrade to manuals after I did my wheels and tires...With that said I have seen them go on a 4runner. Wasnt that big a deal. It made a ton of noise and turns out the axle shaft acctually broke. I think it is very difficult to break hubs either way you look at it. The big problem is no them breaking but when they don't engage. then you are SOL. or the fact you have no 4x4 in reverse. There are a bunch of small parts like washers and such in the auto hubs that can go wrong as opposed to a manual hub that is basically a sping that pushes the gear down onto the saft and locks it all together no matter which way you are moving. Im sold on the manual hubs and keep my auto for backup because im paranoid....

The auto hubs should lock in reverse, it's just that switching from forwards to reverse they need to unlock and then lock again, so if you are trying to rock or something then this isn't optimal because you might get the rear wheels spinning a bit before the fronts lock and you get full traction.

x2 watch the first pathfinder in the vid and see that the rear wheel makes it around almost 2 rotations before the fonts engage and do some pulling.

So when trying to rock you will go back ~2 rotations to unlock and ~2 more to re-lock...

Edited by MY1PATH

This is modified;

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=29793&view=findpost&p=565021&hl=&fromsearch=1

I will be doing a take 3 this summer. Take 1 is pretty much locked, take 2 is a little more street friendly

hopefully take 3 will perfect for my needs

If not, I may go with a locker.