31's vs P265

trenton163

A few days ago I went into an americas tire store comparing prices, I also found some wheels. I have 31"s and 15" rims. But when I went to talk to the guy at the counter he told me that they make almost no wheels in a 15". He told me that I should go with a 16" wheel and a set of p265 tires. he claimed that they are the same size tire, they just have a bigger hole for the wheel. So is he telling the truth, or was he just trying to sell me stuff. Also, I have looked other places, and there does seem to be preference towards 16" wheels?

Thanks, Trenton

A few days ago I went into an americas tire store comparing prices, I also found some wheels. I have 31"s and 15" rims. But when I went to talk to the guy at the counter he told me that they make almost no wheels in a 15". He told me that I should go with a 16" wheel and a set of p265 tires. he claimed that they are the same size tire, they just have a bigger hole for the wheel. So is he telling the truth, or was he just trying to sell me stuff. Also, I have looked other places, and there does seem to be preference towards 16" wheels?

Thanks, Trenton

I have 15 " rims and do fine with them [GY 32x11s]. There are many tires available for them. It is true that the selection for 16" is more plentiful. I wouldn't spend the money on new rims and would instead put it into the tires. Go to the TIRERACK website and do a search. You will see what your options are.Good luck ! - glenn

He was just trying to up-sell you a set of wheels instead of just tires.

This is one reason I like Discount Tire. When I worked there, the sales guys were the seniors on the tire changing floor on a rotating schedule. They did not get commission and only recommended what they believed was best for you.

Edited by XSrcing

31x10.50

32x11.50

33x10.50

33x12.50

35x12.50

All those sizes are available for a 15" rim. 31x10.50 is a direct replacement. 33x10.50, only BFG makes them, and you will need to roll your fenders, but no cutting.

I don't know how 32's fit. But if you run a 12.50" wide tire you will need to modify your fenders, unless you've done a body lift.

If you do decide to go with a 16" rim...

a 265/70 is the closest to a 31x10.50

265/80 = 33x10.50

305/70 = 33x12.00

Hopefully this helps you.

Dated or not, the 15" LT tire exists for a very specific reason...

Passenger & Light Truck Tire Sizing - Light Truck Tire Sizing

Light truck high flotation tires evolved in the mid-seventies as lower aspect ratios became more popular on light trucks and vans. The combination of lower aspect ratios and high flotation yielded better traction on sand and soft soil found in water and off-road situations.

31X10.50R15LT/C

31 = Tire Overall Diameter in Inches

10.50 = Section Width in Inches

R = Radial Construction

15 = Rim Diameter in inches

LT = Light Truck Tire

C = Load Range

If you go off road, stick with the 15" rims. Oh, the guy who told you they hardly make any 15" wheels needs a smack up side the head and a broom to push.

B

I also think he's trying to upsell you. I went to an Americas Tire Co and bought 15'' black steel wheels for my pathy, and 31x10.50 Hankook Dynapro ATM tires. But I did have to crank up the front torsion bars and remove the front mudflaps for them to clear, haven't rubbed at all since. But I will say without the mudflaps in the front the truck gets messy fast!

Forgot to add...I also had to cut a little off the front spoiler/lip thing that hangs from the front bumper. I guess it depends on which 31'' tires you get as to what modifications you might have to make.

Edited by porsche4786

It is getting harder to find 15s, but they are still around. Until they stop making them completely, I'm sticking 15.

Remember a 31" on a 15 is the same size outside as a 31" on a 16, just 1" less sidewall and 1" more wheel.