front bumper build pics please

i am wanting to replace the front bumper on the wd21 4 door (when i get it) and i am wanting ideas for how to design and build it

I dont like tube bars as they open up the front and dont appear to offer much protection and i prefer the look of a solid bumper sort of like Northernpathy's bumper that he just made (it looks like it could take a fair beating and still come back for more, just out of curiosity how heavy would that bar be)

Anyhow how about some pics of your front bumpers so i can get an idea

If you're a fair fabricator/welder, I love my tube bumper (I used square tube and made a standard offroad bumper...not round tube) vs the plate bumpers such as an ARB..it wasn't too difficult, and is very functional.

If you are not handy with a welder/grinder, http://www.kenmtnac.com/ makes bumpers for ours, although it is a 6-8 week turnaround and their customer service leaves something to be desired.

here's a basic pic of my bumper, I can snap a better one if you wish.

DSC_0472.jpg

Pathfinder-Copy2.jpg

DSC02458.jpg

12192010101.jpg

All you need to make this one is a chop saw, a disc grinder a welder and a drill press. Everything else is bonus.

Edited by 1999R50
  • Like 1

mine isnt quite complete, but i'll throw it up anyway.

nasty, no skid, splits where i made repairs

10052010102.jpg

pretty, skid, welded my repairs, new paint

09042010166.jpg

Edited by skulptr

o trust me theres alot more room behind it than it looks. plus, thats 1/4" steel, its freakin heavy. takes 2 people to put it on. it used to have a winch tray on it as that was my original plan, but abandoned it when i finally understood why wheeling by yourself is a big mistake to make anyways

i also have the westin bully bar out front too. that takes most of what i push on. i only have the bully bar on for the rubber coated bars, cause i push cars more than i pull them. i have also rammed many many things, both before and after the bully bar, and nothing is changed, except what i have rammed lol

Edited by skulptr

sorry, was talking about oldslowreliable's bumper, I like what all of you have done, makes me wish I had kept the Pro Zap bumper I had on my hardbody

It is closer than the stock, but if something hit most bumpers they would hit some portion of the body.. by swinging up, i.e. a deer. Anything else, i.e. tree or wall will not, as its 5x2 tube, which will NOT bend any time soon, and the bumper is the furthest point out of any point of the body.

When funds allow, I'll be adding a stinger and some hella's for driving on back roads, to protect the hood from deer

Edited by OldSlowReliable

I wanted to do an arb or similar but weight of my truck is a concern...my front bumper with winch weighs about 80 lbs total...gave the fenders a competition cut and I'm happy...I'd suggest if you ever plan to do a winch to plan now and get good points to the frame to transfer about 12k lbs of load..

i think i am going to pull the bar of my kia sportage and modify the mounting points and bolt it on my Terrano

here is what it looks like in primer

Kia006.jpg

and finished with my hella rally 4000 spotties on it

kia011.jpg

i have measured both cars and they are both the same width so it will be an easy swap i think

(im just not too sure how the kia will look when i put the terrano bumper on it)

Edited by flyinwall

If you're a fair fabricator/welder, I love my tube bumper (I used square tube and made a standard offroad bumper...not round tube) vs the plate bumpers such as an ARB..it wasn't too difficult, and is very functional.

If you are not handy with a welder/grinder, http://www.kenmtnac.com/ makes bumpers for ours, although it is a 6-8 week turnaround and their customer service leaves something to be desired.

here's a basic pic of my bumper, I can snap a better one if you wish.

DSC_0472.jpg

Pathfinder-Copy2.jpg

Can you please snap your truck on the front? THANKS!

Thanks! Did you have to mention about your bodylift? Or came like that..

I made it after my body lift, although it would actually be a fair bit easier to do it on a truck w/o the body lift. The body of the bumper would be the same, but the upper mounts would be perpendicular instead of at a 45 degree angle, and the bottom arms would only need to be 2 pieces instead of 3

the bottom arms where they bolt where the tow hooks go, did you use the same box tubing all the way down? Did you bolt thru the box tubing or did you make the outer hole larger so the bolt head would fit thru?

the bottom arms where they bolt where the tow hooks go, did you use the same box tubing all the way down? Did you bolt thru the box tubing or did you make the outer hole larger so the bolt head would fit thru?

I was going to bolt through the entire 2x2 steel tube, but I wasn't sure how that difference in leverage would effect the bolt, so I drilled out the outer surface (so its still tube and very strong) then bolted inside, mind you also protecting the bolt head in the process

I ran into issues finding bolts to match the stock pitch/thread as well as stripping out the captive nuts, so I ended up drilling straight through the frame and using 6" bolts, then putting the nut/washer on top of the frame rail, worked GREAT.

So yes, I used 2x2 all the way down

• 7 months later...

here is mine. i just modified a standard ally bumper to fit a winch. the bumper is as light as im just reinforcing to taake the winch and to use a high lift on it

before

CBgp1dwBmkKGrHqEOKkME0UwvUZV3BNIC2TIMJw_3.jpg

and at present

025.jpg

028.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...