alternative front and rear bumper mods

haascncvf2

I went out, two blocks from my house to buy my 80 year old father a Charlie Brown christmas tree; and was hit in my suv in front of my house making a left by an 18 year old who decided to punch it and try to blow through the already red light.

long story short; I am looking for alternative front and rear bumpers. Tubular style perhaps; (I've seen very few still around) but I am moreso looking for something that if hit will do more damage to the other party as opposed to me.

20101221102756.jpg

lets include his; actually his dads car: that he couldnt even open the passenger door:

20101218172247.jpg

the body shops estimate for this is at $1637.10 and I do not know if his ins. will cover it cause the driver is Not on the policy; and there is an excluded driver; and unfortunately I did not have uninsured motorist coverage at the time. So we shall see where this goes.

the body shop wants 190.00 to remanufacture the bumper;

65.82 for the side cap

30.08 for the right bumper bracket

107.50 for the bumper panel (plastic piece on top?)

yes if I have to fix this out of my pocket i will most likely be hitting up the jy; or if I can find who or where i can get a knarly built rear bumper; I will go there first.

thanks all for reading.

Edited by haascncvf2

I'd say the kid got off lucky. A blazer hit me in the same place a few years back. His impact point was centered arround the 2 carrier hinges so I had less expensive body damage.

The bazer on the other hand was completely totaled. It had to hauled out on a flat bed.

If your looking for AFFORDABLE impact protection. look for Smittybilt front and rear bumpers from Toyota Pickup and 4 runner (late 80's to early 90's) and Chevy s10 blazer and pickup (82-93). They are the right size for our vehcles and will only need minor fabrication of mounting points.

If you want to risk the poor customer service, kennesaw mountain makes a nice looking front/rear bumper, although the current rear is not what it was a few months ago, it still looks good, and only $50 more.. beware, they have been bad with delivery dates, or so I've heard.

http://www.kenmtnac.com/MCNissan.html

Besides that, you got smittybilt, homemade, or trying to find something used to modify. The rear will be alot easier to find something to fit, but the front can be a PITA imho

I'm sorry...

Always carry uninsured arsehole insurance, something crazy like 30% of drivers don't have coverage!!

Ok, I have a bumper (with light surface rust in a couple of places on the inside) that I'll damn near give you but the catch is shipping and that it is black, not chrome.

That said, ARB for the front (if you can find one) or Kennesaw as was previously mentioned. JamesRich has one that looks pretty good on his truck. For the back, I don't know, I plan to make my own next year out of a 4x4"x.25" thick square tube next year.

IMO the tube bumpers aren't all that great for impact but anything is better than the rediculous crap that is stock. I've said it before and will say it again, if you value your Pathy, put heavy duty bumpers and sliders on it!!

B

I've said it before and will say it again, if you value your Pathy, put heavy duty bumpers and sliders on it!!

I have to agree 132% here.

Back in the day they use to make "real" bumpers out of metal. Now-a-days they are all made out of either plastic or very thin sheet metal, which won't even survive a hit by the neighbors poodle!

the body shop wants 190.00 to remanufacture the bumper;

65.82 for the side cap

30.08 for the right bumper bracket

107.50 for the bumper panel (plastic piece on top?)

For remanufactured???

I can get you new in box genuine parts for less......

190.00 to remanufacture the bumper; - CHROME BUMPER, REAR CENTER: $152.22

65.82 for the side cap RIGHT SIDE CAP: $48.18 , LEFT SIDE: $53.84

30.08 for the right bumper bracket - RIGHT REAR BUMPER STAY : $19.06

107.50 for the bumper panel (plastic piece on top?) STEP PAD: $78.69

called in on my claim today; still waiting to see if the kid was covered / "given permission to drive the car by dad" basically. . . .

i did email www.kenmtnac.com and received a reply that said their turn around time was estimated to be 6 - 8 weeks. . . .

(i am kinda having a difficult time swallowing paying for something and waiting roughly up to 8 weeks for delivery)..... j.s.

thanks all for your responses. i will let you know the outcome of this .

Roy

called in on my claim today; still waiting to see if the kid was covered / "given permission to drive the car by dad" basically. . . .

i did email www.kenmtnac.com and received a reply that said their turn around time was estimated to be 6 - 8 weeks. . . .

(i am kinda having a difficult time swallowing paying for something and waiting roughly up to 8 weeks for delivery)..... j.s.

thanks all for your responses. i will let you know the outcome of this .

Roy

I was told 5 to 6 weeks and it took 10 weeks for my front bumper. You only put down a 1/3 as a deposit and they charge the rest when they ship. I didn't mind the wait because I knew about there delivery time before I ordered, and I'm very happy with my bumper.

James

2 rear bumpers are available from Sterling Equipment in a double tube style, bad thing for you is they are down here in Florida, pics below:

I just looked these guys up... intense quadruple tube roll bar...

M350CC-QQ%20CASCADE.jpg

Edited by MY1PATH

so the company in Florida said I am roughly looking at $318. in shipping to SoCal. . . .

so looks like that option just priced itself out of my budget. . . .

thanks again all for your replies; pics and links!!!

please feel free to keep em coming.....i am still waiting on the insurance company to figure out if the kid 'had permission' to be driving the car.

MENTAL NOTE: next time i get pulled over and asked for my insurance I think I am going to try to tell the officer "I have permission to drive this car" just to see where that gets me. . . . lmao

question is, can i drive down there and back for $318 in gas?

they quoted you $318 just for shipping ??!! Well you could drive here on vacation, check out the tourist stuff, pick the bumper up on your way home.

probably not, I can't believe no body in CA sells or could make you one similar, I know Smittybilt used to but seems they are only making parts for Jeeps now!!

Edited by ahardb0dy

thats what someone told me tonight....

and i know a girl whose brother actually works/manages at "off road unlimited" in burbank, so maybe i will hit her up see if she can help me out. . .

probably not, I can't believe no body in CA sells or could make you one similar, I know Smittybilt used to but seems they are only making parts for Jeeps now!!

heads up if you know anyone youd trust that's in highschool still, and has a welding class, you can have them make it, you really only pay for materials. i'm tossing around the idea of my best friend's little brother making me a rear bumper after my dumb ass hit a pole

in reverse.

at about twenty miles per hour..

thank god for my hitch/reciever hahah..

Edited by synthetic

• 1 month later...

If You don't mind getting something Shipped From Australia or just getting ideas their are a few companies that make brand new aluminum and steel "BULL BARS" as they are called in Australia

go to the bottom of page terrano -- http://www.ecb.com.au/model/d21andd22navara.htm

a company named A.R.B. makes a winch BULL BAR to suit D21 navara that will bolt onto pathfinders and terranos, they have no pic on their site http://www.rcacc.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=7625 here is a pic of a navara bull bar attached to a pathy http://img467.imageshack.us/i/dsc02566cs4.jpg/sr=1