Fuel injector install

zonianbrat

Hey everybody it's been a while since I have been on here. I have a question for all you WD fans. I am thinking about buying this 95 pathfinder that needs new injectors. Can somebody tell me how labor intesive or how hard the job is and what is needed? Any and all information about this install/fix is appreciated. I can get the truck for a hell of a good deal but want to know if I am getting in over my head by needing to install fuel injectors. Thanks

Yep, like he said, it is quite straight forward once the intake plenum is removed. Remember, the injectors are color coded so make sure the replacements are all the same and buy a seal kit for each.

You'll be back in style better than before ZB!! :aok:

B

I did the trouble codes today on mine. It gave a 51, which would be the injector circuit. The oil smells like gas and if you drive it for a period of time it will start to lose power and studder sputter very badly. Likes it's flooding. And it spits gas out of the back. I had to get my bro to hook the chevy up to it and pull me home

with a come-a- long. Would this probably be the injectors?

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings NPORA...

I have been having a problem recently that may fit into this thread.

For the last few weeks I have been smelling gas. Especially when I lift my hood. Yesterday the Pathfinder started running poorly... Very low idle and trying to stall so I have to feather the peddle at a red light, roaming idle and running rough.

So far I have seen NO check engine light.

Does this behavior sound like a stuck or clogged injector? Would I smell gas if it were stuck or clogged? Would it get worse over time? Is seafoam in the gas tank the best place to start and is seafoam the best choice?

I cant help thinking that the gassy smell and poor running condition are related but I did pull the MAF sensor for a cleaning and it looks good.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by JohnMasters

There is a flex gas line connecting the two hard fuel rails on either side. Make sure this is tight at both ends and not leaking.

Look around each injector to see if there is any wetness. This is hard on the drivers side, but do your best with a flashlight and mirror.

Check the flex gas line from the hard line on the passenger side frame rail to the fuel filter (cant miss it just a little back from the battery) and also the flex line from the filter to the fuel rails.

Make sure all the clamps are tight and the hoses aren't cracked or weeping.

Keep a fire extinguisher in the vehicle and handy!!

B

Thanks for the quick response. I'll get all of that looked at tonight. I did clean the little wires on the MAF sensor and went ahead and did a round of seafoam last night and it did seem to be running better this morning with no roaming or low idle.

Just before I did the seafoam I noticed a good bit of moisture spitting out of the tailpipe along with quit a bit of small dryish carbon like globules.

Edited by JohnMasters

I agree with what Precise and My1PATH stated.

I would add to consider replacing the fuel pressure regulator when you do this job since you are already there taking the fuel rail off and to take off and look at the AAC valve on the back/bottom of the intake plenum and check to see if it is rusted on the inside. If so replace it as well.

Just before I did the seafoam I noticed a good bit of moisture spitting out of the tailpipe along with quit a bit of small dryish carbon like globules.

Water is normal and means the catalytic converter is working properly.

as to the globules......i would have to see to figure it out.

What are the symptoms of a broken fuel regulator? I just had my plenum off to replace injector seals and didn't replace it (though I did replace the o-ring for it). I also wondered if I should somehow be checking my injector function while I was in there, but didn't have the time. Other than trouble codes or smelling gas, how do you know if your injectors are working properly?