Throttle Body Spacer and Intake

Timmons

Looking at these two items and wanted to know if anyone has installed these and actually showed some kind of improvement on gas mileage or horsepower.

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/throttle-body-spacer-p-5311.html

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/customer_part_detail.asp?PartID=364

Jim Wolfs Pop Charger and 4x4parts throttle body spacer.

Thanks,

only have the POP charger. can't say anything about hp as that would require me being on a dyno before and after. typically a WAI will only net you 5HP or less at the wheels, at most. biggest things you'll notice with the POP or any WAI, for that matter, is louder engine noise and a better throttle response.

TB spacers are a pretty controversial modification as to whether it's useful or a waste. i would just pass, if it were me.

Spoke with the guys at Wolf Technologies and it sounds like the S1 cams are a better way to get low to mid end torque. Don't know if I want to hear any loud engine noises from the POP charger if I'm not going to see any gains. Can someone define throttle response?

I love my pop charger on my VQ, now I can actually be loud when going through underpasses and parking garages...even set off a car alarm :handlebars:

YO Silvapathy, post a quick vid so we can hear how loud it sounds.

Like Simon said, TB spacers are pure crap on the R50 application. Save your money for something more worthwhile.

It's really a shame there isn't more aftermarket stuff out there for the R50. A true CAI would be quite nice, especially with a more open exhaust.

Like Simon said, TB spacers are pure crap on the R50 application. Save your money for something more worthwhile.

It's really a shame there isn't more aftermarket stuff out there for the R50. A true CAI would be quite nice, especially with a more open exhaust.

Have you heard of anyone installing those Jim Wolf S1 Performance Cams for the R50?

Have you heard of anyone installing those Jim Wolf S1 Performance Cams for the R50?

Nope, I had no idea such a thing even existed. Definitely worth a look, though. I'd contact JWT for more information before purchase. ;)

I think those are exclusively for the VG33E. I know HKS makes high-performance cams for the VQ35DE but I doubt those would be interchangeable on a different engine platform. :scratchhead:

Ever tried one of those throttle body spacers? I'm hearing that they are total crap and just whistle. No gains. Do you notice any gains from your intake?

Well throttle response is definitely way better than before, there may be a few extra hp freed up from it like maybe 5. But your butt dyno will tell you different. The thing I love most is the sound, it really does awaken the VQ and make it sound great, kinda sounds like a 350z for a short bit esp in the higher rpm range.

cams will give you a noticeable gain in power. a very common modification in many cars. when i modified my 240SX, i used a bit more aggressive of a street cam that netted me more power. drove a NA Z32 with a mild street cam to see if that's what i wanted on my own. both our vehicles were pretty much identical aside from the cams and there was a noticeable difference in power and pull through all gears. pulled noticeably harder off the launch and i was able to chirp the tires with more ease. also wanted to get a set of S1 cams for my previous G20, but i sold it for my pathy before i got a chance to.

if that's a mod that you're seriously considering, it will net you many more horses than a TB spacer and WAI will, or a CAI even.

I put a power aid spacer on my titan, and once the computer adjusted it had around a 2 second throttle response. I ended up giving it away. Didn't notice any extra power from it or fuel mileage just a whistle and a delay.

I don't have a video of my pathy but I have one of what I wish it would sound like! And go like!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyG9HdRyVR8

This is with AEM Brute force intake and JBA catback. In the truck you can hardly hear the exhaust though, this is mostly intake sound.

James

Edited by JamesRich

• 2 months later...

you wont feel any hp gain but you get a few more kms to the tank, my dad had one not sure about the brand but he had one in his 98 pathy befor he sold it and he said he got about 2 or 3 more kms per litre. my pathy doesnt go far on a full tank so im going to purchase one. ill hit you guys back up with resaults.

I custom machined a 1.25" throttle spacer at my work out of a nice delrin material, basically a hard plastic that they make alot of newer intake manifolds from, the point of it was not really to gain mpgs or power really, but I wanted to space the coolant heater throttle body off of the intake manifold to keep intake temps down. The car sounded great with it alone (stock intake). I ended up throwing it out last year when I converted to dual alts as I was to aggressive bolting it on and stripped the threads out of it enough that I wasnt comforatable using it anymore. I really wasnt impressed by it much anymore anyways, I think youre money could be better spent elsewhere

THEN

I made my own CAI with 3" ID piping and the highest flowing 6" length K&N filter they make, gasket match ported the upper and lower intake manifolds while I had them off for the power valve screws and made a custom 3" side exit flat tip exhaust with flowmaster 40 straight through... car sounds like a damn beast now, as people have mentionned

Simply ditching the MASSIVE stock airbox and all its bs and just putting a nice flowing cone filter on the end makes the car so much more enjoyable to drive to me.

I also put on some high flow cats but the smell in traffic was a bit much with my side exit

• 2 months later...

I custom machined a 1.25" throttle spacer at my work out of a nice delrin material, basically a hard plastic that they make alot of newer intake manifolds from, the point of it was not really to gain mpgs or power really, but I wanted to space the coolant heater throttle body off of the intake manifold to keep intake temps down. The car sounded great with it alone (stock intake). I ended up throwing it out last year when I converted to dual alts as I was to aggressive bolting it on and stripped the threads out of it enough that I wasnt comforatable using it anymore. I really wasnt impressed by it much anymore anyways, I think youre money could be better spent elsewhere

THEN

I made my own CAI with 3" ID piping and the highest flowing 6" length K&N filter they make, gasket match ported the upper and lower intake manifolds while I had them off for the power valve screws and made a custom 3" side exit flat tip exhaust with flowmaster 40 straight through... car sounds like a damn beast now, as people have mentionned

Simply ditching the MASSIVE stock airbox and all its bs and just putting a nice flowing cone filter on the end makes the car so much more enjoyable to drive to me.

I also put on some high flow cats but the smell in traffic was a bit much with my side exit

Sounds sweet... do you have any pictures??

I had installed similar spacers on my '91 Maxima (VG30e)... although I did NOT dyno it or anything, I did not notice anything different than before. Even if it were a 1-3HP gain... would you really notice it? Is it worth it for $100+?

Although the company doesn't make them for my VG30e, for later generation Maximas, they note a 7-10HP & 10ft-lb of torque added after Dynos...

http://www.nwpengineering.com/Phenolic_Spacers.html

I think you'd have to remove a lot more heat from just the throttle body to get similar gains.

My 91' Maxima only had a throttle body and a IACV spacer. However the incoming air would only get heated up by the hot intake plenums anyhow.

like other say, save the money and pay for gas. Gas will keep you moving :FartExplode-vi:

Edited by Qx4donald

I have a phenolic spacer on my Z31T. I also have dyno sheets of before and after. To make it simple, the spacer did it's job of preventing heat soak from the upper plenum to the lower intake manifold and kept the numbers between pulls nearly identical. Before the heat soak was very evident, with declining numbers every pull. Actual HP/TQ numbers didn't change enough to show an improvement - too many factors to consider.

Generally longer intake runners will shift the torque curve to the left, which is what mine did. The numbers were about the same but the graph moved left a bit.