How to: Drivers interior grab handle

nunya

Not exactly a brain surgery 'mod' but somethign that can definatly be useful to some people.

First the parts needed:

Grab handle from passanger side of doner truck in color of choice with 2 screws (best if pulled from a doner/junkyard truck as you can use the factory screws) in the color of your choice

cfe4f8c9.jpg

Tools needed:

Phillips screwdriver (yea I have a pink power screwdriver...)

Flathead screwdriver of some form (not pictured)

Tape measure

Awe/Punch with pointed tip

Light (if you like seeing)

eaeb91c2.jpg

some form of way of trimming plastic (I opted for a grinder)

0176d576.jpg

(optional but verry helpfull is the cup of coffee :lol: )

Start by removing the plastic trim from above the door (where the flathead screwdriver can come into play, I was able to just grab mine and yank it off) Normally it is helpful to also remove the trim piece along the windshield. I didn't as you can kinda see...

cc5b8a7f.jpg

measuring from the rear most hole for the trim clip aproximatly 1 3/4" towards the front there is a pre-drilled/threaded hole just about in line with the discolorating you WILL have in your headliner (you can actually peal it back a little and see the hole) use the awe/punch to just poke through the headliner there

544055c6.jpg

7 3/4" forward of that is another pre-drilled/threaded hole

02c80d90.jpg

do the same poking the awe through the headliner at the hole

I ran the screws into the holes to make SURE the threads were clean and the holes in the headliner big enough

813a0468.jpg

next step is the obvious screw the handle onto the roof step, the pre-made holes are perfectly lined up FOR this like there was always intended to be a handle there

3997ad2a.jpg

using the grinder I clearanced my trim mainly by eye-balling it, sorry i didn't measure the notches

03b8c911.jpg

strong and sturdy as factory

a16c72fb.jpg

(proably only puttign about 65-70% of my weight on it as who REALLY plans to hang 150lb from one of them?)

Not 'hardcore' or super technical, but may be usefull to someone :aok:

Edited by nunya

Your drill is pink and the grinder is close. You are a sick man...

I'm thinking a few people will have use for this. Interesting how it is the same on both sides. Does this indicate ambidextrous components (RHD/LHD)?

B

Does this indicate ambidextrous components (RHD/LHD)?

B

never thought of that... same shell used on LHD and RHD trucks would mean the need for a mount on the left side for the handle on RHD trucks...

And yea my 'pink fetish' extends past my truck

Me thinks you mean RHD :lol: and if I had easy access to a RHD parts truck, the little overhead trim piece that almost nobody will ever notice is near the bottom of the list of pieces ima gonna use!

I was hoping to add a handle in the rear on the passenger side to help back seat passengers get out. I removed the trim and there was no threaded holes waiting for me so I shelved the project. I might add this one if I can find a red handle.

James

• 10 months later...

So, how do plastic shavings in your coffee taste??

I need to pull the trim on my sentra as there is no "oh @!*%" handle on the pass. side and after driving the PF to work and my buddy always holding on to the PF's handle he reaches up in the sentra and I always say, :there's o handle there" LOL, Guess I drive to crazy for him !! LOL

Well the sentra is the lowest base model and I don't think they started installing them from the factory until the 91 year, I bet the bolt holes are in the roof though. I've added a lot of parts that my car didn't come with and so far everything was there (bolt holes, cavities for the seat belts,etc.) My car didn't come with the remote fuel door and trunk release or normal seat belts but all the necessary holes were there, it didn't even come with a pass. side door switch for the dome light just a rubber plug, but the wire was tucked inside the body just had to put a switch in and plug it in.

Don't think it's pin-worthy honestly (not like it's some badazz or overlooked safety/maintenance thing) forgot about moving it to 'how to' though since I might know someone who can do that kinda stuff...

Well the sentra now has a pass. side grab handle, the 2 holes were there under the headliner and the trim didn't even need to be notched as the handle mounts above the trim !!! Didn't even have to measure anything for the screw holes as the empty holes had made an impression on the back side of the headliner, all I did was use a right angle scribe and poked a hole in the center of the impression and than made it larger with a Phillips screwdriver from the front side, done!

oh, the PF is minus one rear grab handle for now!! LOL

Edited by ahardb0dy

Good stuff man :aok: glad it's a simple job for ya on there. I cant remember off hand your interior color (I know you posted pics before of it) but I might have a spare handle layin somewhere as well

removed a couple unnecessary posts...

Interesting how your hood is oddly whiter than the things adjacent to it. :whistle:

Hood was painted with appliance white spray cans, hence it don't match.