How to Install an Oil Filter Relocation Kit on 1994 Pathfinder

MrJim

I am doing pretty good with my Pathfinder projects. I am getting one completed every other day or so. My neighbors are impressed atleast. :)

Today, I installed an Oil Filter Relocation Kit on the 94 Pathfinder. I would say without a doubt that there are probably three tough spots in this highly needed upgrade to your Pathfinder. The first is just getting off your butt and underneath your Pathfinder with tools (not a beer) in your hand. The other difficult parts of this process are taking the old filter out, as well as then installing the new engine side of this adapter for the same reasons. That are poorly located and in a very tight space for access.

The video shows draining the oil, removal of Filter, prepping and installing the adapter. Installing the adapter hoses, and mounting the final part of the kit to a better location. That is where you install the new oil filter

Enjoy, Jim

[/i]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l15ZGYe8S2M

• Like 1

I am doing pretty good with my Pathfinder projects. I am getting one completed every other day or so. My neighbors are impressed atleast. :)

Today, I installed an Oil Filter Relocation Kit on the 94 Pathfinder. I would say without a doubt that there are probably three tough spots in this highly needed upgrade to your Pathfinder. The first is just getting off your butt and underneath your Pathfinder with tools (not a beer) in your hand. The other difficult parts of this process are taking the old filter out, as well as then installing the new engine side of this adapter for the same reasons. That are poorly located and in a very tight space for access.

The video shows draining the oil, removal of Filter, prepping and installing the adapter. Installing the adapter hoses, and mounting the final part of the kit to a better location. That is where you install the new oil filter

Enjoy, Jim

[/i]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l15ZGYe8S2M

Nice vid Jim ! Really well produced.

Could you share where you sourced that relocation kit ?

BTW, I have the same year and color but the SE. So your mods are pretty much the prototype for me.

Thanks.

installing the new engine side of this adapter

I'm at work and haven't seen the video, but....

This part is what took me the longest since it needs to be a permenant, leak free installation. In hindsight, I would have cut the time and frustration at least in half using a set of crows foot wrenches.

Beg, or borrow or steal a set, this is literally what they are made for...

B

Nice video, I did something similar on my 87 Hardbody except I used transdapt parts and used their dual remote filter mount and I mounted it to the frame just below the pass. door mounted horizontally. I used their braided SS lines but the lines were not as good a quality as some of the aftermarket hose companies. I believe the filters I used at the time were PH8A's. I still have the parts minus the lines in storage may have to get some hoses and install the relocation kit on my 94 PF minus the dual kit, think a single filter is more than enough.

One thing not mentioned in the video and it looked like the filter mount had provisions for this, you can remove one of the extra plugs on the filter mount to install a trans temp gauge, That is how I had the mechanical sender installed on my 87.

Keep the video's coming Mr. Jim !!

very nice editing, gets right to the point without wasting any time with jubling arround for tools and what not. thumbsup.gif

I also Like that you used a Billet kit as I have seen allot of troubles with many of those cast kits. Infact my Cast kit is cracked and somehow not leaking....

The billet is stronger and easier to put a tools on for installation without deforming.

don't know if it is the kit Jim used but I searched last night for about an hour before finding one that may be the one he used. I found one made by L&L, a company that makes products for Ford broncos, but as I said not sure if it is the same kit.

If your looking for compare any compatible Billet kit will do. They have some on summitracing.

Here are 2 parts my wish list on summit. (not sold as a kit)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-2178ERL/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-1178ERL/

I think Earl was one of the first to start making "afordable" billet adapters years ago(after my cast one failed)

I'm sure you can find cheaper ones that work just as good... *searches*

Nice video, I did something similar on my 87 Hardbody except I used transdapt parts and used their dual remote filter mount and I mounted it to the frame just below the pass. door mounted horizontally. I used their braided SS lines but the lines were not as good a quality as some of the aftermarket hose companies. I believe the filters I used at the time were PH8A's. I still have the parts minus the lines in storage may have to get some hoses and install the relocation kit on my 94 PF minus the dual kit, think a single filter is more than enough.

One thing not mentioned in the video and it looked like the filter mount had provisions for this, you can remove one of the extra plugs on the filter mount to install a trans temp gauge, That is how I had the mechanical sender installed on my 87.

Keep the video's coming Mr. Jim !!

Okay, first I wanted to thank you for the kudos on the videos. I appreciate that allot.

Next, let me me say that something you mentioned to me really hit me like a revelation. I have had a 3 gauge (oil, amp, water) set to install for over a month now and one thing that has been keeping me from getting it done was trying to determine where I was going to install the oil pressure line. I do think that one of the plugs you mentioned on this kit is the same size and I may experiment with that. I didn't really know what that was for as my kit came with no instructions, but it seems clear now that you mentioned it that it is probably meant to connect to additional filters if desired.

My kit was bare bones and it came from Ebay (I like Ebay). I had to buy the hoses at O'Reily Auto Parts and I took the kit with me and got a hose that was suitable for gas/oil usage. It did include the mounting bracket, but I actually had to redrill the holes on the bracket so they would match the filter adapter. That seemed like an isolated issue so I didn't think it was relevant to mention in the video.

Here is a link to the same company and the actual adapter I installed.

don't know if it is the kit Jim used but I searched last night for about an hour before finding one that may be the one he used. I found one made by L&L, a company that makes products for Ford broncos, but as I said not sure if it is the same kit.

Sorry about the delay in responding to this. Here is a link to the kit I used...

very nice editing, gets right to the point without wasting any time with jubling arround for tools and what not. thumbsup.gif

I also Like that you used a Billet kit as I have seen allot of troubles with many of those cast kits. Infact my Cast kit is cracked and somehow not leaking....

The billet is stronger and easier to put a tools on for installation without deforming.

Thanks for the positive feedback on the video. It is appreciated...:friday:

I looked up the hp 2006 filter and it comes up under the fram number as PH3675, the stock wd21 filter is a PH3682. I thought these relocation kits used the big fram PH8 filters or the K&N 3001? I guess this kit just relocates the stock sized (or close to it since all 3600 series have the same threads) filter.

I think the extra plugs on the filter adapter are there in case you wanted to plumb an oil cooler, but you could use them for what ever you wanted to. As I said on my 87 D21 I used all 2 5/8" Autometer Sport comp gauges with mechanical senders where applicable, (working in a 4x4 shop and getting parts at cost helped quite a bit in building my hardbody), I just realized I said you could mount a tranny temp gauge but what I meant to say was an oil pressure gauge, my trans temp gauge I used the autometer manifold in the tranny cooler line.

As for the billet adapter, I don't care if it's billet or not I was just trying to find an a filter mount with the extra plugs, most of the Mr. Gasket,trans-dapt filter mounts only have an in and an out connection unless you used the dual filter mount like I have.

I know the Fram PH8a is usually the standard filter people use with these remote kits, or the K&N,purolator,etc equivalent, but I remember Fram made an even bigger filter I think it held a whole quart (maybe 2) more of oil, I remember getting one for my buddy for his 86 Toyota 4x4 as the 22R had plenty of room for a longer filter and was the same thread as the PH8a, the other benefit of using the PH8a filters are they are always on sale and are usually cheaper than the 3682 filter, (pathetic that I remember the Nissan filter number!!)

just found this, this may be the larger filter, not saying larger is better just sharing info:

Part Number PH8A

Product Type Full-Flow Lube Spin-on

Anti-Drain Valve YES

Gasket I.D. 2.42"

Gasket O.D. 2.8"

Gasket Thickness .2"

Gasket Usage Base

Product Height 5.14"

Product I.D. 3/4-16 Th'd

Product O.D. 3.8"

Relief Valve Setting PSI 12

ph977a

Anti-Drain Valve YES

Gasket I.D. 2.42"

Gasket O.D. 2.8"

Gasket Thickness .2"

Gasket Usage Base

Product Height 6.91"

Product I.D. 3/4-16 Th'd

Product O.D. 3.78"

Relief Valve Setting PSI 12

Edited by ahardb0dy

Sorry about the delay in responding to this. Here is a link to the kit I used...

is that the same kit you bought with the AN fittings and you replaced them with the barb fittings? or does the same seller have the kits with barb fittings?

I think I'll have a pair of hoses made up with the AN fittings as my adapter already has them on it.

Looks very similar to this kit but a lot less expensive:

http://raceroots.com/index.php/products/mazda/rx8/engine-and-accessories/oil-filter-relocation-kit.html

Edited by ahardb0dy

I looked up the hp 2006 filter and it comes up under the fram number as PH3675, the stock wd21 filter is a PH3682. I thought these relocation kits used the big fram PH8 filters or the K&N 3001? I guess this kit just relocates the stock sized (or close to it since all 3600 series have the same threads) filter.

They do use the Fram PH8. I learned that after the fact. I had no instructions and took parts to O'Reiley's Auto Parts where I opened one oil filter after another trying them on the adapter. I chose the HP-2006 K&N because it was very close to the original Pathfinder filter, except that the threading and diameter actually fit the adapter.

It works fine and in fact I went out last night and did some pretty aggressive mudding. Today when I took to carwash to clean off the mud, I could see that the new filter was so out of the reach of the tire that it didn't even have mud on it. :) Working out very well.

is that the same kit you bought with the AN fittings and you replaced them with the barb fittings? or does the same seller have the kits with barb fittings?

I think I'll have a pair of hoses made up with the AN fittings as my adapter already has them on it.

Looks very similar to this kit but a lot less expensive:

http://raceroots.com...cation-kit.html

My kit came just as you saw it. It just did not include instructions or hoses. Aside from that, it was very reasonably priced. I think I spent about $12 for hoses and clamps. The K&N Filter was $13, but I liked it. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Mr. Jim, I just bought my second WD21. I want to know what is the most economical and practical way of lifting my pathy. All I need is like a 2 or maybe a 3 inch lift. Should that be the first modification I should work on?

• 3 months later...

Mr Jim, another way to add the sender for the oil pressure gauge, if it is a mechanical gauge, you can do the same as what I did in my sentra, remove the stock oil pressure sender and thread in a compression x threaded adapter. The mechanical oil pressure gauges use 1/8" tubing from the compression adapter to the gauge.

• 4 months later...

So I have the oil filter mount and adapter, have the filter mount installed but was waiting to get hoses made.

Realized it would be a while before I can afford to have hoses made or to buy the fittings to make my own so I was thinking the other day of just using rubber hose and barbed fittings, instead of the AN fittings I already have.

So question is what type of hose would be good to use that would be available locally? Can heater hose be used? The ports/thread on the adapter is 1/2" NPT so I should try to find 1/2" hose right?

Thanks