For all those of have lost reverse or have delayed engagment

adamzan

So, my truck has always had this intermittent issue with reverse not working, when it did engage, it worked fine, no slipping. But when it didn't you just had to go to N and back to R and it was in. Well I've really gotten tired of it and while adding an external filter did help reduce this occurrence, it didn't completely eliminate it. A little while ago I had picked up some sea foam and some sea foam TRANS TUNE. I had used the sea foam but left the trans tune on the shelf as I feared it would do more harm than good. I took my road trip this summer and a few days ago I remembered I had bought this stuff. I figured, what the heck.

The instructions said to put 1/2 a can in, run for a little bit then change the fluid. I dumped the whole can in and will be changing the fluid this afternoon. After driving it to school and back I immediately noticed that it shifted better, and faster. Reverse has been working 100% since then! This @!*% really works. I checked the fluid and wow it got darker so I'm going to change it today. I will pick up another can of trans tune, put 1/2 in and leave it for the next 10k before I do another change to fully clean the tranny.

So, if you are having reverse engagement issues I would try this stuff. It will not help a slipping tranny though, only one that is clogged up with @!*%. I took my truck to a well known trans shop and told them what happened, they told me that there is a 90% chance the valve body was plugged up.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/trans-tune.html

14998.jpg

Good tip!! I'm considering doing this, replacing my external filter and replacing the tranny fluid...

The instructions said to put 1/2 a can in, run for a little bit then change the fluid. I dumped the whole can in and will be changing the fluid this afternoon.

I like the way you disregarded the directions with the 'more is better' attitude. Were you Americanized some on your road trip??? :tongue:

B

Good tip!! I'm considering doing this, replacing my external filter and replacing the tranny fluid...

I like the way you disregarded the directions with the 'more is better' attitude. Were you Americanized some on your road trip??? :tongue:

B

I just figured that since the trans was probably real dirty that it could benefit from more! I changed the fluid today, a little dark but not bad. I had added too much so I drained some out and what came out the second time was definitely brighter. I'm going on a little trip tonight for a birthday party so we will see how it acts after some fresh fluid. I need to get a new external filter but they're 25 bucks! I might have been Americanized B

Btw B can you pin this? I think it is good info.

My1path I am going to add a bit to the PS fluid after I drain a bit although I haven't had any issues it couldn't hurt. But it wont' be getting a full can :tongue:

Yes, I think the real info comes when you have driven it 500 miles after the cleaning and fluid replacement and then 5000 miles later. Keep us informed please...

Yeah, $25 is expensive, but it should last for a year at least?? Mine are $13 IIFC and I only plan to change it when I change fluids. :shrug:

No problem with pinning. Where though?? Product reviews?? It's not really a How To...

B

I like the way you disregarded the directions with the 'more is better' attitude. Were you Americanized some on your road trip??? tongue.gif

B

Actually the can says 1/2 pint to 1 pint and drive atleast 5 miles or run in each gear for 3 minutes while sationary. Its a 1 pint can so he really didn't do anything wrong exept remember what the can said lol. This made my 94 feel smoother too and the fuid came out quite dark. I'll be doing another flush soon...

LOL I actually drove it for a couple days with it in the truck. Last nights driving went off without the usual drama of D - R - D - R lol.

lol I got bussy and let the wiffe go over 250+miles with a full pint of trans tune in there. She started saying "it feels like its not taking 4th anymore" I got in the car and drove it with her I watched the tach and it certainly took 4th but you couldn't feel it unless you were getting on it.

Edited by MY1PATH

Actually the can says 1/2 pint to 1 pint and drive atleast 5 miles or run in each gear for 3 minutes while sationary. Its a 1 pint can so he really didn't do anything wrong exept remember what the can said lol. This made my 94 feel smoother too and the fuid came out quite dark. I'll be doing another flush soon...

Just going by what the web site and Adam said... :shrug:

B

Not to bud-in here but on a related note...i had my tranny replaced...over a year ago...the truck hasnt been running well all year, electrical, ignition etc, plus it sat for a couple of months b4 suspension repl!! So i noticed lately its not shifting the best..lagging into 2nd when yer getting on it, then almost skipping and shifting twice! STRANGE. I read the manual and it suggests low fluid... and that extra fluid can cause foaming, fluid loss etc.

So i check the tranny fluid. I check it warm...cold...hot...4-5 times and cant get a good reading. Finally i check it COLD but running...run thru gears and all like manual says...the fluid is an inch above the HOT mark.

A friend and i determine there is TOO MUCH fluid and i drain a half a litre out!!!!!! I'm going to honest here...i find the dipstick VERY hard to read accurately...but i think its still a little too full!!!

Oh Ya thought it would be worth mentioning that it was a NISSAN Tranny installed at a NISSAN dealership that i had NOTHING BUT A MILLION PROBLEMS WITH!!!!!!! (the dealer that is)

P.S. The tranny shifts MUCH better and half the no power/accelleration issues ive been having were solved with removing some fluid...its like its been loosened up and accellerates much better! I cant beleive i never checked it b4!!!!!

Tye

Ive heard nothing but good things about that seafoam stuff!!!

• 1 year later...

So this is an old thread, but what are the updates if any bra? Still good to go? I am about to do the same to mine and hope to goodness that I did not lose my tranny completely...

I just sold the rig recently to a buddy of mine who is going to use it for a plow truck/wagon hauler on his farm. The body was getting a little too nasty for me but the transmission still worked great. The truck has around 425,000kms on it. Original tranny AFAIK, bought the truck with 180,000km ish.