finally found the socket

skulptr

i dont know how anyone has been doing their brakes and bearings without it, but i finally came across the tool number on nissanforums, thought i'd pass it on here.

tool number is OTC7698

here she is, in all her glory

OTC7698.jpg

Where do you get it from?

YES, there are all kinds of tool numpbers in the FSM but many of them cannot be had anymore or are extemely hard to get

For example; KV10110600(J339B6) the vavle spring compressor that bolts where the rocker shaft goes so you don't have to pull the head to change vavle springs. Yeh good luck finding that one. Better off making one of your own.

Edited by MY1PATH

Dude! I just did my pads/rotors last Friday and drove 30 miles to pick up this. I've been sporadically searching for the FSM tool for the last 2 years.

4b81b667.jpg

I contacted the dealer, snap-on and all sorts of other manufacturers/distributors to get the tool in the FSM and no dice. The dude from the dealer was using the same tool shown above. The socket would be 100x better mainly because it can be torqued to speck and backed off. Plus negotiating my tool when the nut is recessed back onto the hub is a pain.

Edited by EmptyV

If I ever get my welder I will make a bunch of these things, cheap ones for refresher practice before get into bigger things;

a pipe and 2 rods sticking out and witha nut welded to the back for a wrench to grabb

I'm going to look into grinding down a socket so just the two prongs remain. Does anyone have the dimensions (ID, OD, height, width)?

B

Well the pins shouldn't be any wider then 1/4" in diameter. I'm not sure aboout the offset though.

• 8 months later...

Not to re-raise the far-away-and-long-ago thread...

but... I searched Amazon.com for th OTC7698 tool in the original post, found this info:

Amazon.com OTC7698 $35

Application description identifies this for:

1988-newer Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Amigo, and pickup; 1989-newer Honda Passport; and Jeep J20 pickups with Dana 60 axle

On Autozone.com, I also found a corresponding tool:

Autozone.com, Sunex Spindle Tool (part# SUN10202), $15

And it's application description identifies it for:

1988-1995 Isuzu trooper, rodeo, amigo and pickups, 1985-1989 Honda passport and Jeep J20 pickups with Dana 60 axle

Not to be soo "n00b" and use application descriptions to judge a tool, but I figure since both are used for the Dana 60 axle, that it should be the same dimensions...

Edited by Qx4donald

I'm pretty sure I got a chevy one from checker and ground down 2 of the 4 prongs then had to grind the remaining to just a little to get them to fit.

w1271.jpg

It was only $15 at checker/oreilley and did the job well. So if you're in a pinch and can't wait a couple of days to order one in like I was, this works like a charm and is much easier than the screwdriver approach.

how do you torque it to seat the bearing?

The procedure should be in the FSM. The general idea is to install the bearing, torque it tight (50 ft-lbs?), rotate the wheel a few times each way to work out any play, then loosen and tighten the locknut as usual (i.e. barely at all).

The procedure should be in the FSM. The general idea is to install the bearing, torque it tight (50 ft-lbs?), rotate the wheel a few times each way to work out any play, then loosen and tighten the locknut as usual (i.e. barely at all).

sorry, I was a bit ambiguous with my question.

My intention was not to know "how" to do it, but I wanted to know how 01silverpathy did it without the tool... :D

I know the wheel bearing needs to be seated via torquing the locknut, but was wondering if 01silverpathy had a trick to it. :itsallgood: